Internet Tablets?
Aug 29, 2010 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get an internet tablet, as the title suggests, and I want to know, besides the iPad, what is there? I've looked at Archos and a few others. Preferably, I would want something cheaper than the iPad, and capacity is not an issue since I'll be using for mostly internet. I've also looked into getting a Zune HD or some other WiFi enabled PMP, since they can be found cheaper than an iPod Touch.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 11
You might want to see if Apple starts listing refurb iPads, if they haven't already. There's usually a fair discount over new ones and they carry a full warranty. I've owned a 3G model since they came out and I've been very happy with it.

Otherwise, I'd look at a netbook. It'll probably be 6-12 months before the serious Android tablets come out. I think a lot of manufacturers got a wakeup call from strong iPad sales, so a lot more tablets are probably in the pipeline today. If they're as good as the Andriod phones are, we should have a terrific selection of tablets pretty soon.

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 11
Agreed, the only android tablet worth looking at is the Galaxy Tab, and that won't be out for months probably.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 11
What exactly are you planning/need/want to do with it?

Depending, there may be other options.

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 11
Viliv makes some pretty good small Internet enabled players...

I'm waiting to see if the P3 Prime pans out.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
What exactly are you planning/need/want to do with it?

Depending, there may be other options.

Ever since I got rid of my iPod touch, I've been missing being able to use the internet via WiFi. So basically, I just want to use it for internet, but other features like applets, video playback, etc. would be nice

Quote:
You might want to see if Apple starts listing refurb iPads, if they haven't already. There's usually a fair discount over new ones and they carry a full warranty. I've owned a 3G model since they came out and I've been very happy with it.

Otherwise, I'd look at a netbook. It'll probably be 6-12 months before the serious Android tablets come out. I think a lot of manufacturers got a wakeup call from strong iPad sales, so a lot more tablets are probably in the pipeline today. If they're as good as the Andriod phones are, we should have a terrific selection of tablets pretty soon.

Nope, too early I guess for Apple to be selling refurbished iPads. I've thought about netbooks, but I really like the idea of a slim touch screen design, because otherwise I'd just use my laptop.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Viliv makes some pretty good small Internet enabled players...

I'm waiting to see if the P3 Prime pans out.

eek.gif
Viliv makes some awesome looking devices indeed.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 11
I've got an hp tm2. Pretty awesome tablet. Wacom EMR tech > capacitive. But looks like that's not the kind of tablet you want. I use it for taking notes (OneNote is the best thing since tabbed browsing.)

Personally, even though I've got a grudge against Apple, the iPod touch seems the only good PMP for doing non-music things. Plus there's a rumor'd Sept. update (like every year), camera finally perhaps?

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Agreed, the only android tablet worth looking at is the Galaxy Tab, and that won't be out for months probably.

I could not disagree more.  The Notion Ink Adam has better specs all around, but has the same fuzzy release date.  You can also get it with Pixel Qi.  It's supposed triple booting (android, chromium, and ubuntu) as well as boasting stronger specs all around and expandable memory.  I'm waiting for one as an ebook reader, but I might just wait for a version 2 if the screen resolution isn't where I want it.  It's the only one I consider an iPad killer (though I hate to use that phrase since I loathe the iPad).

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

I could not disagree more.  The Notion Ink Adam has better specs all around, but has the same fuzzy release date.  You can also get it with Pixel Qi.  It's supposed triple booting (android, chromium, and ubuntu) as well as boasting stronger specs all around and expandable memory.  I'm waiting for one as an ebook reader, but I might just wait for a version 2 if the screen resolution isn't where I want it.  It's the only one I consider an iPad killer (though I hate to use that phrase since I loathe the iPad).

It it's stock Android then it remains irrelevant. And I don't see that tech reaching their $498 price point anytime soon, so I'm prepared to wait a while.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 11
If you look at Engadget.com right now, there are shitloads of internet tablets anounced to reach market as soon as end of October and most of them before christmas.

Samsung Galaxy Tab preview (it's future-proof too)

Toshiba Folio 100 goes official, lands in Q4

ViewSonic 10-inch dual boot ViewPad preview

Archos unleashes five (five!) new Android Froyo tablets, we go hands-on

Hannspree pairs Android 2.2 with Tegra 2 for a 10.1-inch multitouch tablet

ASUS Eee Pad EP101TC opts for Android, dumps Windows Embedded Compact 7

Just like there is an avalanche of android phones on the market to rival the iPhone, there will be soon an avalanche of android tablets on the market.

I hope I helped OP a little with my post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back