[INTERNET] Overage Fees?
May 9, 2008 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ZepFloyd

500+ Head-Fier
May 9, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 27
Man, I already pay $45ish a month for my internet, and now they are planning to start restricting it. What are they going to do next, start charging people by the hour like they did in the dial-up days? On a side note I can see how this could cut down on piracy, so it may not be all bad.

Oh well, at least I'm with Comcast with the potential 250GB cap, which is far more than I think I could use in a month.

May 9, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 27
This would suck for people who don't encrypt their wireless networks..

I have Time Warner/Earthlink at home, and if their cap will be <100GB, then I'm telling my parents to switch.
Though, I've heard stories of people with Time Warner who call to cancel their service, and end up having $20 deducted from their bill to keep them from switching. I'm guessing that you can probably do the same to waive the overage fee or something..
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 27
I'm sick of cable companies overselling bandwidth, then punishing their customers for using what they sold them...

May 9, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
250GB per month... that's a lot.

It truly is. But not enough **** for some people.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 27
errr... I know that I burn through ~75GB a month by myself. That is because I watch a lot of streaming video.

These overages would suck and I know that my house at home during the summer might go over.

May 9, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

heres the prob...eventually it becomes 200....150...100...etc. once it starts happening they'll lower the GB.

May 9, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 27
Not only that, it's likely that in the not-too-distant future, we'll be doing all of our video renting through downloads. With HD video files, along with music files and telephone services, it won't take long to get those numbers up there.

I was recently tricked ( my own fault for not paying attention ) into switching from a 7 year old, unlimited usage plan, to one with a limit ... with the offer of more speed at the same cost. The "more speed" turned out to be minimal and wasn't anywhere near their advertised "up to" potential speed however.

May 9, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

I remember when a 40GB hard drive was "a lot" of space.
wink.gif

Sadly, I live in the middle of nowhere so we can't even get DSL or cable. We're lucky they gave us dial-up.
tongue.gif

May 9, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #13 of 27
I may be using my smartphones internet more often i guess.

May 9, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember when a 40GB hard drive was "a lot" of space.
wink.gif

I recall when 20MB hard drive was a lot of space (or any hard drive at all)!

Back in the day we coded an entire DBMS using zeros only! HAH!
tongue.gif
[1]

[1] One's hadn't been invented yet. They first were described in seminal Communications of the ACM article "Boolean Representation: A bipedal perspective." Initially everyone thought they were for sissy, poser, wannabes. Then architectures changed and we all had to follow suit.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not only that, it's likely that in the not-too-distant future, we'll be doing all of our video renting through downloads. With HD video files, along with music files and telephone services, it won't take long to get those numbers up there.

I was recently tricked ( my own fault for not paying attention ) into switching from a 7 year old, unlimited usage plan, to one with a limit ... with the offer of more speed at the same cost. The "more speed" turned out to be minimal and wasn't anywhere near their advertised "up to" potential speed however.

Yeah, charging overages is total BS. They are going to single handedly kill viable legal HD video distribution over the internet, or whatever small movement that has started.

Unless of course, I think it's just a win-win for the cable companies since they want to push regular cable TV either way.

+1 for DSL and Fiber Optic.

I miss Verizon.
frown.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back