[INTERNET] Overage Fees?
May 10, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #16 of 27
I have a laptop pc in my closet made by ACER.
It's a pentium 75 and has an 800mb hard drive
smily_headphones1.gif

It was $900usd when i got it, and was a kickass pc at the time.
Of course, now its worth crap...lol.

May 10, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #17 of 27
Glad I have Clearwire. 30 bux a month. And never had or heard of any issues.

May 10, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #18 of 27
Rogers has a 60GB cap and to be honest even with online multiplayer games and downloading various demos and HD video clips on my XBOX 360 and PS3, I haven't even come close to being over. Besides, overage is charged up to a max of ~$20-$25 so it's not the end of the world.

No one likes getting less for their money and I can respect that. HD video downloads are an example of a legitimate use for all that bandwidth but I would venture to say that the majority of customers who have overages are using some type of P2P application to distribute copyrighted material illegally. Every person I have spoken to who has complained about the new caps indicates that they download movies from the Internet.

I say go rent the movie for a couple bucks.

May 10, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #19 of 27
I am just happy that my ISP don't have an overage limit.
Cause paying per GB might be expensive.

May 10, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #20 of 27
I could see this going bad, and generally it seems like a bad idea-- but who knows. It'll depend on how this is implemented/develops over time.

I wouldn't mind having faster transfer speeds with a limit on total bandwidth consumed per month.

May 10, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #21 of 27
Hehe, I remember that my ISP used to have fees like this, and it was INSANE.
They gave you the option to buy extra bandwidth at an extortion rate of like €5/GB, and if you went over your monthly limit and didn't purchase extra bandwidth, you would be hit by an even worse fee, like signing a blank check (IIRC it was €10/GB).

Good times.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #23 of 27
my parents have some satellite ISP that just cut their service once they went over. I called and chewed them out.

I've got time warner, all I've got to say is if they decide to charge me more they're going to loose a customer. I think their service is crappy anyway.

May 16, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #25 of 27
I have a local cable co., Thames Valley Communications. They have a 30GB/month, 2GB/day max download. I know I've gone way over the daily cap a few times, not sure about the monthly. When we had Comcast, I definitely would have maxed it out. I suspect TVC is doing some kind of packet filtering/QoS, as torrents of dubious origin hit maybe 70KBPS on a good day, but legit ones from, say, OpenOffice can almost hit 1MBPS. With Comcast, everything ran really, really fast. I would usually pull torrents down around 300KBPS, sometimes more.

I'm seriously considering switching at least my TV to DirecTV, though. TVC has about 10 HD channels, which sucks. DirecTV would mean about a $20/month increase in price, but at least I'd have more HD channels. My parents have them, and have never had a complaint.

As to internet, dunno. I haven't caught any crap about overages yet. They're a local company, and usually pretty nice about giving out freebies. I got my install done free, and free HDMI cables. Comcast's customer service blows, but at least they have decent speeds, and a relatively high bandwidth cap.

May 16, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rogers has a 60GB cap and to be honest even with online multiplayer games and downloading various demos and HD video clips on my XBOX 360 and PS3, I haven't even come close to being over.

Well in my house there are 5 people, and we routinely double that cap. Gaming, streaming videos, LOTS of pictures, etc. They're going to start charging overages in June, and we're jumping ship to Teksavvy DSL. Though now Bell is shaping Teksavvy, even though they only provide last-mile copper. I hate the telecom wasteland that is Canada, though I love the rest of the country. (Toronto is not Canadian, it is a blight on the face of the earth, as is Calgary)

May 16, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #27 of 27
This is excellent news for me, because my fiber internet provider gives me a 100gb quota within a floating 4-week window rather than a calendar month - and if i go over 125gb, they charge me a lump sum of about $40.

That's generally ok because it's not like I'm seeding torrents here. The throughput is outstanding (guaranteed 15MB/s) and it turns out that i have to really work at it to approach the quota.

But now, if Comcast sets an industry standard of 250gb, maybe i can get my quota increased to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back