International Buyers in Classifieds, Scammers?
Jan 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

JSitthi

100+ Head-Fier
I've seen others' and my own classifieds get targeted by potential buyers living outside of the US. It's especially suspicious when their accounts are made solely for the purpose of contacting the seller through PM.

Can someone help confirm the tell-tale signs of these scammers? Or confirm that they are in fact scammers? Am I being paranoid?
blink.gif

A potential buyer in Norway has contacted me, showing interest in purchasing my headphones and reimbursing the international shipping fee, which is not cheap. The fact that he is willing to pay close to what a new pair would cost for my used ones boggles me, but of course I don't know about the availability of these headphones in Norway and their cost. Maybe this is worth it for him.

He is also requesting that I send the shipment with a declared value below $160, "to avoid the 25% customs fee in Norway." He wants it to be sent by "a private person" as well, whatever that means.

Is there any way I can get scammed from this, and has anyone else had this experience before?

Thanks.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSitthi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen others' and my own classifieds get targeted by potential buyers living outside of the US. It's especially suspicious when their accounts are made solely for the purpose of contacting the seller through PM.
Can someone help confirm the tell-tale signs of these scammers? Or confirm that they are in fact scammers? Am I being paranoid?
blink.gif

A potential buyer in Norway has contacted me, showing interest in purchasing my headphones and reimbursing the international shipping fee, which is not cheap. The fact that he is willing to pay close to what a new pair would cost for my used ones boggles me, but of course I don't know about the availability of these headphones in Norway and their cost. Maybe this is worth it for him.
He is also requesting that I send the shipment with a declared value below $160, "to avoid the 25% customs fee in Norway." He wants it to be sent by "a private person" as well, whatever that means.
Is there any way I can get scammed from this, and has anyone else had this experience before?

The declared value below $160 and sent by a private person makes sense.
If something is sent to Norway from a retailer address the buyer might have to pay the customs fee before being able to receive their package.
Private shipper address may draw less attention.

But i would not sell to anyone that does not have a "history" on Head-fi.

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 28

Quote:
The declared value below $160 and sent by a private person makes sense.
If something is sent to Norway from a retailer address the buyer might have to pay the customs fee before being able to receive their package.
Private shipper address may draw less attention.

But i would not sell to anyone that does not have a "history" on Head-fi.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Although, in the case that the shipment goes missing or gets badly damaged, insurance will only pay up to the declared value of $160, but to whom? I remember I shipped something out via UPS and the buyer received it damaged. UPS reimbursed me, not the seller. I ended up having to wait to cash in a check from them until I could refund the buyer. But $160 is not enough to cover the cost of the product in this case, so should I just inform him that he is taking a risk by having me declare a lower value than what it is actually worth? And will only receive a partial refund?

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that.
Although, in the case that the shipment goes missing or gets badly damaged, insurance will only pay up to the declared value of $160, but to whom? I remember I shipped something out via UPS and the buyer received it damaged. UPS reimbursed me, not the seller. I ended up having to wait to cash in a check from them until I could refund the buyer. But $160 is not enough to cover the cost of the product in this case, so should I just inform him that he is taking a risk by having me declare a lower value than what it is actually worth? And will only receive a partial refund?

That sounds fair.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 28
There are many lurkers, and Denmark has a 25% VAT on all audio goods...so the US street price is always more interesting.

If the buyer is paypal verified, you should be fine.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 28
You should be fine. Just make sure to send the items ONLY via International Express, which includes tracking. 

As I took pains to plaster across the top of all the classified forums, whenever I get a complaint about a classified, either of two things are ALWAYS a problem: The buyer used Paypal gift (and the seller didn't send the item) or the seller DIDN'T send International Express and somewhere a postman stole it (almost certainly what happened in every case).

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 28
I'm finding it hard myself to buy something on here since I'm living in Vietnam...I totally understand why sellers are so apprehensive about an int'l buyer. Any advice on how to go about getting some feedback? I'm basically only looking for a reasonably priced DAP that supports flac. Vietnam is replete with Apple products and I want to try something else - there simply aren't many options here. I do have paypal and I'd be willing to pay first to a seller with good feedback...I've seen some good deals that I'd jump at but I'm afraid the no feedback status looms large.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 28
I just completed an international transaction about a week ago. The way I dealt with it was I forced the buyer to send the money as a gift to protect myself. Of course the buyer is taking a risk, too, especially if the seller runs away with the money, but that's the risk they'll have to take if they want to avoid customs fees.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #10 of 28
I have no problem what so ever selling to a person or buying from a person with no feedback.
If i BUY, then i make sure that I'm happy to take a loss if I get scammed (thus losing out on a $20 wire isn't a big deal to me), but losing out on a $200 earphone is.
So if I buy an expensive item from someone with low or no ratings or credibility elsewhere on the internet, I just add 3% for a goods payment via paypal.

Now for selling:
The person should always go as gift, I give them the option to go via goods, but I have enough rep, not only on here, but on youtube (thus my reputation) at stake.
So they often trust me enough. That said I might be a "special" case

If your worried about customs, its to prevent him paying hefty taxes, and thus shouldn't be afraid of not declaring it/sending it as a gift.
End of the day you you have HIS MONEY in your bank account.

It would be hard for him to scam u so to speak.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 28
AFAIK, paypal only provides buyer protection for ebay transactions...so I don't really understand all the fuss around the gift option?

You should only deal with ppl you trust, that's the motto. I will never send $200 to someone w/ zero feedback, c'est la vie...I will ask for the transaction to take place via ebay if I'm really desperate. Earn your wings, trust is something you can only deserve.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 28
I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth it to have electronic goods shipped here...my GR07s were shipped from Singapore on the 3rd and they're still not here...I can't imagine that such a short distance would take this long...all I can do is hope I'm wrong at this point...

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 28
Well, international goods should always be shipped insured and registered...together w/ a very low value on the customs papers and the "gift" checkbox ticked if your country is hostile to gray imports.

If you were not willing to pay for this, you can only blame yourself if it never shows up I'm afraid 
redface.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
AFAIK, paypal only provides buyer protection for ebay transactions...so I don't really understand all the fuss around the gift option?

You should only deal with ppl you trust, that's the motto. I will never send $200 to someone w/ zero feedback, c'est la vie...I will ask for the transaction to take place via ebay if I'm really desperate. Earn your wings, trust is something you can only deserve.

I think that's a lie mate.
Paypal will cover you, if you open a dispute, if you buy via paypal as a goods payment (thus the 3% payment)

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 28
Oops, indeed: https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/safetyadvice/BuyerProtectionOffEbay.htm

Either way, this is a last resort solution...I'm sure professional crooks know how to evade this procedure.

PS: The word you were looking for is "mistake", not "lie" BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back