Interesting S-CUSH discovery; soft mini-bowls?
Feb 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

morph2k4

100+ Head-Fier
I don't listen to my SR-60's much, but they've become a hobby mod project of sorts for me.  I've been trying to come up with alternative pad solutions that worked (without tracking down 50 dollars worth of back ordered foam).  After trying to construct several of my own pads, and transplant other pads onto the SR-60's, I finally settled on using the stock comfies with the quarter circle mod.  Yesterday, I was playing around and tried putting the pads on backwards.  That is to say, the cut out is the part that wraps around the frame, and the original inside circle is now the opening over my ear.  Here is the result (modded on the left, regular quarter mod on the right):

The structure of the mini-bowl curve that forms is surprisingly rigid, and feels much better on my ears than the forwards configuration.  The circle you see is much neater as well.  I don't have anything in the way of listening results yet, but I'll put in a good analytical session when I have a chance and give some reports.  

I apologize if this is a repost, but I've never seen this particular configuration before.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 17
Reminds me of using the HD414 pads quarter modded and reversed, dunno why I never tried this with my quarter modded comfies too.

Thanks for the post, I think I am going to try this.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 17
^ Yeah that's how I wear my QM comfies when I use them too. Much better for all the reasons you listed than the other way around.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 17
I will experiment with that too.  I just bought a set of sr60i's off the classifieds here, and they are en route to me in Canada.

They already have quarter modded pads, and I can compare them to my stock ones and the bowls I already own - I have a set of the MS1i Alessandros.

The sr60i's were bought to try out some of the mods folks are having fun with, and I will keep the stock phones around for comparison.

I guess I just need to get some of those yellow pads, and the bagels, and I will have all the permutations!

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 17
What effect does removing the screens have?

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
What effect does removing the screens have?

It's a contentious one. Some say nothing, some say it is subtle but existent change - that the sound becomes clearer and more open.

I think everyone agrees it looks cooler, so that seems enough motivation to go ahead with it... 
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 17
removing the screen allows little hairs and dust in and onto the driver....hmmm rattle anyone?

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 17
[size=x-small]Every Grado/Alessandro I ever had has had the baffle cloth removed and I never got this rattle - I think anything that gets in gets out just as easily.[/size]

[size=x-small]If you were worried, you could replace it with material specifically designed to be transparent such as speaker cloth. Those thick nylon strands do not look designed for transparency.[/size]

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 17
Tried this, do not like it . . . . there is more hole than pad, and my ears touch the face of the driver. It works well with the HD414 pads because they come with a smaller hole leaving more pad area.

I need to get some of those ugly yellow HD414 pads.

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 17
I took very careful time while modding my Grado's to AB test every single change.  Every modification was done one ear at a time, and then tested for about 2 hours before completing the mod to the other side.  Out of all the mods that I did, the only one I regret is removing the cloth from the front of the driver housing.  This was one of two changes (the other being removable cables) that did not change the sound at ALL to my ears.  Most of the mods had a substantial change, but the only difference in removing the cloth is that hair can now get in there.  I keep a can of compressed air on my desk in order to clean the drivers, but that could have been avoided at no cost by skipping the mod.

As for the mini bowl mod, I found that I could get a very comfortable fit by moving the pads slightly forward on my head (towards my face).  With the outer edge of the pad resting on top of my outer ear, the front portion sits all the way past where my ear stops.  The increased distance from the driver gives plenty of clearance so the plastic isn't actually touching my ears.  Its also possible that I have large ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back