Interested in but concerned about LCD-2
Jun 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

Vergex2

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've heard a lot of great things about the LCD-2. However, as a previous owner of the HE-5, I'm wondering how much of that is just FOTM? How good is the LCD-2, really? Price/performance does matter, too. My main complaint with the sound signature of the HE-5 is that it sounded too muted for my tastes, and it didn't sound near its price - I liked the HD555s (foam modded) no less than HE-5s. Is the LCD-2 really leaps and bounds better (and not simply the exaggerated Head-Fi stuff all the time)? What if I simply don't like the 'orthodynamic' sound? Or is the HE-5 unrepresentative of that sound?

I'm looking for a home phone to be used with a triple channel Beta 22 + unknown DAC (probably either Gamma 2 or Buffalo DAC, but if I take Buffalo, I won't be able to buy headphones for a LONG time). I want a midrange king that is relatively neutral across the board with the most realistic presentation possible. Is the LCD-2 a perfect candidate?

I found that the HE-5s were constantly uncomfortable and a hindrance at all times when wearing it. I'd always notice it. The LCD-2 is appreciably heavier. Even assuming superior weight distribution, I want the least interference possible. Should I just stick with under 300 gram headphones? I'm very sensitive to weight/comfort, and I need some oval earpads that are both snug and don't push against my ears.

Finally, the prohibitive price yet again. Why should I take this over, say, an HD600/650 which is reputed to have excellent equipment scaling and is probably a lot more comfortable?

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 99
HE-5 muted?
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 99
Quote:
Hi,

I've heard a lot of great things about the LCD-2. However, as a previous owner of the HE-5, I'm wondering how much of that is just FOTM? How good is the LCD-2, really? Price/performance does matter, too. My main complaint with the sound signature of the HE-5 is that it sounded too muted for my tastes, and it didn't sound near its price - I liked the HD555s (foam modded) no less than HE-5s. Is the LCD-2 really leaps and bounds better (and not simply the exaggerated Head-Fi stuff all the time)? What if I simply don't like the 'orthodynamic' sound? Or is the HE-5 unrepresentative of that sound?

I'm looking for a home phone to be used with a triple channel Beta 22 + unknown DAC (probably either Gamma 2 or Buffalo DAC, but if I take Buffalo, I won't be able to buy headphones for a LONG time). I want a midrange king that is relatively neutral across the board with the most realistic presentation possible. Is the LCD-2 a perfect candidate?

I found that the HE-5s were constantly uncomfortable and a hindrance at all times when wearing it. I'd always notice it. The LCD-2 is appreciably heavier. Even assuming superior weight distribution, I want the least interference possible. Should I just stick with under 300 gram headphones? I'm very sensitive to weight/comfort, and I need some oval earpads that are both snug and don't push against my ears.

Finally, the prohibitive price yet again. Why should I take this over, say, an HD600/650 which is reputed to have excellent equipment scaling and is probably a lot more comfortable?

I understand being worried about FOTM, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that Head-Fi-ers may be crazy and the LCD-2 is truly on the level of an HD600/650 or even HD555.

Lots of people got to hear the LCD-2 at CanJam and almost all concluded that it was either the best sound of the show or one of the 2 or 3 best. This is in comparison to all of the heavy-hitters - HD800, T1, HE-5, the new HE-6, and the TOTL Stax rigs which are many times more expensive.

Given that, I think you should assume that yes, the LCD-2 are the real deal, and at least should be in the conversation of absolute-best headphones on the market, rather than potentially being discussed alongside mid-fi gear. Now you just have to figure out if you specifically would like them.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 99

Quote:
HE-5 muted?
confused_face_2.gif

It strangely does, to my ears. I don't know, it may be a hearing problem, but it sounds... I don't know? Veiled? I can't really describe it - it seems like something is placed over the music that sounds really strange to me even after over a hundred hours of adjustment. I really did not like the HE-5s especially considering what I paid for it (I know price/performance isn't the first thing that comes to mind on purchases over $200, but still).

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 99

Quote:

I understand being worried about FOTM, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that Head-Fi-ers may be crazy and the LCD-2 is truly on the level of an HD600/650 or even HD555.

Lots of people got to hear the LCD-2 at CanJam and almost all concluded that it was either the best sound of the show or one of the 2 or 3 best. This is in comparison to all of the heavy-hitters - HD800, T1, HE-5, the new HE-6, and the TOTL Stax rigs which are many times more expensive.

Given that, I think you should assume that yes, the LCD-2 are the real deal, and at least should be in the conversation of absolute-best headphones on the market, rather than potentially being discussed alongside mid-fi gear. Now you just have to figure out if you specifically would like them.

Well put, and fair enough. I probably am too harsh with it.

I suppose I could always try it out and resell it at a bit of a loss if I dislike it. I suppose there always are people who would love to jump a one month wait and pay a bit less for a mint LCD-2. It may be one of the best headphones available - I'll give it that much. Only left to see is if the signature appeals to me and the comfort isn't a vicelike brick.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 99
sound quality is hard to quantify, as most have been saying, they just sound right. Putting 'right' into words is really difficult. I can't really describe their sound other than I really like them, a lot.
They sound nothing like the HE-5 and I don't think the HE sounds particularly muted or veiled either, they have a lot of top end sparkle and energy so I don't know what to make of your comment as that doesn't represent what mine sound like. Who knows...

The LCD sounds less forward than the HE, has much more body, punch and depth. The midrange is smooth and subtle and the high-end sounds similar to how it reads on the graphs in quantity but there's obviously more to it than that. They are very well balanced and have copious amounts of detail even though it isn't immediately obvious. We have no idea what you personally might or might not like so it's a difficult thing to address. Are they worth the cash? To me they are and if I hadn't been given a set I would still be saving for them. They are the best (in my subjective view) of any phones I've heard. Even the ones I make myself are getting a lot less ear time since these arrived.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 99

Quote:
sound quality is hard to quantify, as most have been saying, they just sound right. Putting 'right' into words is really difficult. I can't really describe their sound other than I really like them, a lot.
They sound nothing like the HE-5 and I don't think the HE sounds particularly muted or veiled either, they have a lot of top end sparkle and energy so I don't know what to make of your comment as that doesn't represent what mine sound like. Who knows...

The LCD sounds less forward than the HE, has much more body, punch and depth. The midrange is smooth and subtle and the high-end sounds similar to how it reads on the graphs in quantity but there's obviously more to it than that. They are very well balanced and have copious amounts of detail even though it isn't immediately obvious. We have no idea what you personally might or might not like so it's a difficult thing to address. Are they worth the cash? To me they are and if I hadn't been given a set I would still be saving for them. They are the best (in my subjective view) of any phones I've heard. Even the ones I make myself are getting a lot less ear time since these arrived.

Sparkly treble isn't a problem with me - ES10s are fine and I can deal with it. I really don't know what to say, maybe I'm just describing the HE-5's sound wrong?

Anyhow, I'm worried about the LCD-2's midrange being subtle? Is it recessed in comparison to the treble and bass? If it is, there is no way I could enjoy it no mater what - the main reason why I need something to complement/replace ES10s for home use is because I want mids - that ES10 lacks and iBuds offer a better perspective of.. in a sense (iBuds are more balanced than ES10s by far, and don't have a recessed midrange).

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 99
So to summarize, you are looking for a colored headphone and want to know if the audez LCD2 are colored enough in the way you desire to satisfy you. thats totally cool, and many people shoot at random at headphones with no idea of what sound they want.

To answer the question of whether they are colored like you want: No, they are not.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 99
Some of the problems with the Audeze LCD-2 are:

1. The LCD Headphone line is a work in progress and we are the beta testers.

1. Models change too frequently (Audeze has little choice here as the product continues to be developed).

1. The new improved, lighter plastic, better sounding LCD-3 is right around the corner and after that the even better LCD-4 (there is no stopping this as the LCD line is refined).

1. Low resale value after new, improved models replace the current ones.

1. Future parts availability is doubtful for older models.

1. The LCD line has no track record...  it is unknown how durable these headphones will be.  Suppose the drivers don't last?

1. Will Audeze even be here in a year or two?  They are not AKG, Beyer or Sennheiser.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 99

Quote:
So to summarize, you are looking for a colored headphone and want to know if the audez LCD2 are colored enough in the way you desire to satisfy you. thats totally cool, and many people shoot at random at headphones with no idea of what sound they want.

To answer the question of whether they are colored like you want: No, they are not.

I'm sorry, could you quote where I implied such a meaning towards you?

From what I can figure out, I'll quote myself "I want a midrange king that is relatively neutral across the board with the most realistic presentation possible. Is the LCD-2 a perfect candidate?"

Is it that line? I did not mean to imply that it should have an exaggerated midrange, but just something with an excellent midrange - I have less desire to persue bass or treble. I also put in 'relatively' neutral for good measure.

Quote:
upstateguy said:

1. Models change too frequently (Audeze has little choice here as the product continues to be developed).

1. The new improved, lighter plastic, better sounding LCD-3 is right around the corner and after that the even better LCD-4 (there is no stopping this as the LCD line is refined).

1. The LCD line has no track record...  it is unknown how durable these headphones will be.  Suppose the drivers don't last?

1. Will Audeze even be here in a year or two?  They are not AKG, Beyer or Sennheiser.

A very helpful post, thank you. I always prefer to research the faults of a headphone first to see if it will really be fine with me.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 99
I don't think he's necessarily looking for colored. There are many phones with a neutral FR that sound entirely different. 

I think he might mean extension in the upper register. The LCD-2 measurements show attenuation after 1K. 

Simply put, he may not like the darker sound. But it's not exactly clear from the original post. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 99
Upstateguy, I think you are referring to the Hifiman range, Audeze had put out the LCD1 and now LCD-2 a good while later. It's not in development and we're not beta testers. You are confusing the two makers. Audeze isn't using plastic, these are the big wooden ones.

Vergex, you are mistaking subtlety for recessed. Look at the FR graphs, they are amongst the flattest graphs of any phone ever. The subtlety I speak of is in how they present the information. They don't blast it in your face, they are supremely well balanced.

Quote:

To clarify, Audeze makes one headphone. Hifiman had the he5, he5le, he6, soon to be he3 or whatever dynamic.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #14 of 99

Quote:
To clarify, Audeze makes one headphone. Hifiman had the he5, he5le, he6, soon to be he3 or whatever dynamic.

And HE-4 (baby ortho)

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 99

Quote:
Upstateguy, I think you are referring to the Hifiman range, Audeze had put out the LCD1 and now LCD-2 a good while later. It's not in development and we're not beta testers. You are confusing the two makers. Audeze isn't using plastic, these are the big wooden ones.

Vergex, you are mistaking subtlety for recessed. Look at the FR graphs, they are amongst the flattest graphs of any phone ever. The subtlety I speak of is in how they present the information. They don't blast it in your face, they are supremely well balanced.

Regardless, I'd need to research the potential pitfalls of a headphone first before anything else. In my experience, that gives me the best idea of whether I'd enjoy a particular product or not.

Also, thanks for clarifying. That is great for the LCD-2.. and a debacle for my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back