Interest Check: PPAS redesign?
Feb 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #181 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just stumbled over this thread....I have a PPAV2 which I love to bits.

How will the SQ of the PPAS compare?

Different class, but definitely the best portable you'll hear.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #182 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different class, but definitely the best portable you'll hear.
wink.gif

I like the sound of that..... Ok, I'm gonna work my way through the whole thread so I know the history etc.

Wouldn't mind getting one or maybe two boards to the UK??

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #185 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FallenAngel, any chance I can PM you?

Only if you flip a coin and it lands on Heads.
wink.gif

PM your address, I'll send it off for how much I paid for them. Unfortunately, a recent intake of some very good Whiskey makes it a little hard (and not worthwhile) to remember the exact price so just PM me your address with a public statement promising to build the prototype ASAP and I'll send it off tomorrow.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #186 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only if you flip a coin and it lands on Heads.
wink.gif

PM your address, I'll send it off for how much I paid for them. Unfortunately, a recent intake of some very good Whiskey makes it a little hard (and not worthwhile) to remember the exact price so just PM me your address with a public statement promising to build the prototype ASAP and I'll send it off tomorrow.
wink.gif

It landed on heads, honest. Haha, no worries I'm quite fond of 'Jamesons' Irish Whiskey myself.....

The most complex amp I've done so far only stretches to the Mini3. I'm working through the thread slowly and I starting to worry that I may not be up to the task. I'll pm you later (got to go to work now
frown.gif
).

Nigel

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #187 of 231
oooooo baby! I've been testing it with my stock iPod and MP3s and it sounds delicious!
tongue_smile.gif
Can't wait to get a RCA-mini adapter made so I can hook it up to my Alien. I actually had it playing music tuesday night, but I had some major clipping whenever I'd turn the volume past 12 or so, even with the ipod volume down low so that it was quieter than I'd ever listen to normally. I changed the gain resistors to 4.32k for a gain of about 5 (as opposed to the default gain of 10) and it's been working beautifully in the 30 minutes or so of actual listening time I've had so far. DC offset is around 1-2 mV, occasionally up to 4mV at peaks.

Oh and to you prototypers (especially our new one, Spud--welcome, always good to have another prototyper), soldering the pot to the opposite side works perfectly for fixing that pot problem <--anyone building one on a production pcb ignore this)

is it normal for there to be a significant voltage drop thru the rail splitter? I'm measuring a total drop of about 2 volts. My battery is about 11.7v and board is +/- 4.8

more impressions to come of course

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #188 of 231
I got mine working. My first impressions are very favorable. I really need to listen for a few hours. The voltage drop occurs across the jfets that isolate the power rails (not the rail splitter). I ended up using a ad8599 and an ad8065 for the opamps.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #189 of 231
One quick note. Shouldn't the power to the buffers be Vdd and Vee instead of Vp and Vn, respectively? The Q3, Q4, Q6, Q7 Jfets are supposed to isolate the rails for the opamps, not the buffers. The original PPAS does this.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #190 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcpoint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One quick note. Shouldn't the power to the buffers be Vdd and Vee instead of Vp and Vn, respectively? The Q3, Q4, Q6, Q7 Jfets are supposed to isolate the rails for the opamps, not the buffers. The original PPAS does this.

They look to be correct on my prototype, U2 and U6 are the opamps, U4 the TLE.

EDIT: Oops, checked that they were connected to U2 and U6, not that they were NOT connected to buffers.
tongue.gif
My mistake.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #191 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcpoint /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think you're right actually. I spent some time pondering what the heck the point of the JFETs were if all power went through them, but that makes a little more sense. I guess I missed it in the original schematic.

I'll have to rework it. Ack!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back