Integrated Amplifier, quality of Headphone Out
Aug 22, 2010 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

peli_kan

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious as to how vintage integrated amplifiers, namely the NAD 3020, fare when compared to popular headphone amplifiers.  The only comparisons I've found are 8+ years old, and I'm not familiar with the models referred to.  The goal?  To drive a pair of extra-manly HE-6.   

EDIT:  Just found this thread, am currently trawling it for info.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/329395/using-full-sized-integrated-amp

Hirsch:
I had a NAD 3020 years ago. That was a nice little integrated. It was way too long ago for me to make any meaningful comparisons to current headphone amps (my headphones at the time were Koss Pro 4AA). However, I've heard the Earmax Pro recently, and my guess is that the NAD will put up a good fight against the stock tubes. Upgrade the tubes, however, and the Earmax comes into its own.

pp312:
A good quality integrated has every chance of matching most mid-priced dedicateds, the top-price dedicateds are a pure indulgence for the very wealthy or super-enthusiastic, and if your curiousity gets the better of you and you MUST hear what a dedicated can do, get one of the (quite elaborate) Chinese models on Ebay. I currenly have a Chinese Muse dac/amp, but I can't honestly say that it sounds any better than my Yamaha stereo receiver, plus the receiver has tone control for those really unlistenable archival recordings.

I haven't heard the 325BEE but I owned a 320BEE for a while and it drove my Senn 650s just fine.

Gryphon1972:
BTW.....I have shown the schematics of the NAD to one of my DIY friends and he commented that the reason why the NAD headphone out sounded good(based on the schematics) is that they take their headphone out directly from the speakers out.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back