Instructive and sad story about LCD-3 modification attempt
Oct 10, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #47 of 54
Great thread.
Thanks for sharing!

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #48 of 54
Now, successful modification stories
smily_headphones1.gif

First one about LCD-2

Snorry, author of the first mod, described here, made successful LCD-2 mod. Headphones owner asked him to make sound darker to remove harshness on highs and make sound more smooth.

LCD-2 have much better Phazor alignment, channel imbalance is much better, headpads are equal.

[/...]
This version features other grill, changed dampers on both size, new hedpads, now easily replaceable and sewn with taking into account headphones' owner anatomy.

Final version photo.

Is there a link to more info on this? 

And now... ta-dam... second pair of LCD-3 for modification. Owner's arguing about harsh sound and sibilance.

Measurements shows some peaks on highs, imperfect channel balance and rough highs.

[/...]

Snorry promised to do his best to fix this, now without driver disassembly
smily_headphones1.gif
Only headpads, grill, damping and acoustic treatment.

I'll keep this thread updated.

What ever happened to the second LCD-3 mod? I was hoping there'd be some updated like the first one, even though the first one didn't end so well.

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #49 of 54
Is there a link to more info on this? 

What ever happened to the second LCD-3 mod? I was hoping there'd be some updated like the first one, even though the first one didn't end so well.

Actually, it succeeded, but there is not much information about that. Photos are similar to the first one, and no review from owner besides "it became much better" :)

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #50 of 54
The second mod was not intended to be quite as radical, and only focused on correcting a spike at 8kHz and channel imbalance.  Newly filled pads and a special mount which makes them sit a bit higher (above the fazor), new external grille, correction of fazor position, additional acoustic damping on both sides of fazor, internal grille.
The alignment of tracing on the diaphragm and magnets was slightly off - but equally so on both drivers.  In theory, this would prevent the drivers from realizing their full potential, however, this did not cause any disbalance as both drivers exhibited this equally.
Another interesting item was a subsequent look at the original pads, which showed some unexpected "craftsmanship".

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #51 of 54
I guess the variance in Audeze headphones sound is explained.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #52 of 54
Now they have a 4000 USD LCD-4 headphone coming out. They really should address the build quality issues.

I would love to buy printer paper dampers, misaligned drivers, plastic buzzwords and hair/dust infused magnets. I feel sorry for the poor sap that buys them only to have to return them time after time.

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #54 of 54
hats off to the op. My beloved lcd2 rev2’s right driver just died yesterday. I don’t understand why it happens to my headphone because I have always babied it. And it happened after the lcd2 being for months hanging unused. I am so frustrated. I replaced stock pads and cables many times due to their bad quality and now this comes to the driver..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back