Instructive and sad story about LCD-3 modification attempt
Jun 9, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #16 of 54
It's only paint on the fazors....... Audez'e, come on. For two grand you shouldn't resort to such methods. I understand that a full metal fazor would be heavier and probably not make a difference sonically. On the other hand, I think the look of the fazor is completely irrelevant anyway. I don't really get it, it's like the designers worried about some customers that might get angry because their fazors are not nice and shiny.

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #17 of 54
I've contacted Snorry, he confirmed me that he dosn't touch membrane in any way, except for broken contact pads, of course. So, it's an original view. But it was pictured with flash, so it looks worse then it is in real life :)

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #18 of 54
I'm swimming upstream on this, I know, but I take a different lesson from this: don't attempt to mod headphones unless you're prepared to ruin them.

Headphones, by and large, are a completely manufactured, often machine-fabricated product.  Either they're too cheaply made to take apart or they're too expensive to risk it.  A headphone company is in the market to compete.  It's ridiculous to assume that a headphone mfr is not trying to make the best sounding headphone at the lowest price.  So, they've already optimized the audio quality.  It may not be to your own particular preference, but they tuned it to sell, period.  Likewise for the manufacturing - pricing is so competitive worldwide, that every effort is going to be made to reduce manufacturing and fabrication costs.  That doesn't always mean the result is going to be easy to dis-assemble and re-assemble.  More often, it won't be - repeatable connectors/fasteners are always more expensive.

I've been a bit dismayed at how this forum section has seemed to transition from electronics and electrical DIY to modding headphones.  It seems to be the tide that's sweeping around here lately.  There have been some notable successes in modding with the Fostex planars, but those are a glaring exception, not the rule.  This thread is an example of that.

I'm sort of hoping that the tide will go out on this headphone modding wave and we can get back to actually creating entire products with DIY instead of the latest blu-tack and sock mods.  JMHO, but I'm probably in the minority right now.

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #19 of 54
I've been a bit dismayed at how this forum section has seemed to transition from electronics and electrical DIY to modding headphones.  It seems to be the tide that's sweeping around here lately.  There have been some notable successes in modding with the Fostex planars, but those are a glaring exception, not the rule.  This thread is an example of that.  
I'm sort of hoping that the tide will go out on this headphone modding wave and we can get back to actually creating entire products with DIY instead of the latest blu-tack and sock mods.  JMHO, but I'm probably in the minority right now.

You have some good points.
wink_face.gif

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 54
It's only paint on the fazors....... Audez'e, come on. For two grand you shouldn't resort to such methods. I understand that a full metal fazor would be heavier and probably not make a difference sonically. On the other hand, I think the look of the fazor is completely irrelevant anyway. I don't really get it, it's like the designers worried about some customers that might get angry because their fazors are not nice and shiny.

It may not be purely aesthetic: the paint may have some quality the plastic does not, or allows a smoother surface than the plastic used. I'm just speculating, but there might be some justification for it.

Also, could you ask Snorry why he doesn't rotate the mesh by 90 degrees so the lowest parts of the mesh are directly over the magnets?

Jun 10, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #26 of 54
well, second LCD-3 pair ordered, so we'll see mod in future
smily_headphones1.gif

Oops.....that's good. But I think the modification and verification can carry out step by step. Most of the time, tolerance is allowed in each part, like the earpad thickness, the alignment, workmanship etc.. There's no need to disassembly the whole headphone before doing any mod (actually I'm eager to see the mod and result 
tongue.gif
).

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #27 of 54
Oops.....that's good. But I think the modification and verification can carry out step by step. Most of the time, tolerance is allowed in each part, like the earpad thickness, the alignment, workmanship etc.. There's no need to disassembly the whole headphone before doing any mod (actually I'm eager to see the mod and result :p ).

sure thing, but the purpose of disasebmly was to find out everything that could be upgraded. if he knew that driver will break, he definitely don't do it. initial idea was to remove sponge and hair :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #28 of 54

It may not be purely aesthetic: the paint may have some quality the plastic does not, or allows a smoother surface than the plastic used. I'm just speculating, but there might be some justification for it.

Also, could you ask Snorry why he doesn't rotate the mesh by 90 degrees so the lowest parts of the mesh are directly over the magnets?

An interesting thought. If that's true, some paint is maybe cheaper than a different quality of plastic.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #29 of 54
I'm swimming upstream on this, I know, but I take a different lesson from this: don't attempt to mod headphones unless you're prepared to ruin them.

Headphones, by and large, are a completely manufactured, often machine-fabricated product.  Either they're too cheaply made to take apart or they're too expensive to risk it.  A headphone company is in the market to compete.  It's ridiculous to assume that a headphone mfr is not trying to make the best sounding headphone at the lowest price.  So, they've already optimized the audio quality.  It may not be to your own particular preference, but they tuned it to sell, period.  Likewise for the manufacturing - pricing is so competitive worldwide, that every effort is going to be made to reduce manufacturing and fabrication costs.  That doesn't always mean the result is going to be easy to dis-assemble and re-assemble.  More often, it won't be - repeatable connectors/fasteners are always more expensive.

I understand your view, but a $2,000 headphone should not have these inconsistencies with the frequency response in the treble and neither should it have those issues with the pads.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #30 of 54
I understand your view, but a $2,000 headphone should not have these inconsistencies with the frequency response in the treble and neither should it have those issues with the pads.

I have to agree. Regardless of the fact the manufacturer has to make money with these headphones, two grand is a price point at which customers can and should expect a very high level of quality - at least in the world of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back