Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #46 of 288
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #47 of 288
Have you been happy with the improvements and performance of the Zenith?
Yeah, I defintely have been. My desktop was super noisey, in terms of USB interferance. I got the PhoenixUSB first, and that helped out a ton. I was so happy with the PhoenixUSB, I bought the Zenith Mk3. The jump from the PhoenixUSB to the Zenith MK3 was less than the jump from solo PC to PhoenixUSB and PC though. I don't regret either purchase. I'll probably buy the PhoenixNET at some point to complete the trinity.

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #48 of 288
Yeah, I defintely have been. My desktop was super noisey, in terms of USB interferance. I got the PhoenixUSB first, and that helped out a ton. I was so happy with the PhoenixUSB, I bought the Zenith Mk3. The jump from the PhoenixUSB to the Zenith MK3 was less than the jump from solo PC to PhoenixUSB and PC though. I don't regret either purchase. I'll probably buy the PhoenixNET at some point to complete the trinity.
When you do keep us updated.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #49 of 288
Kind of an odd question: I usually see people use a PC or a laptop or a server as their source. Can the Phoenix take just a portable hard drive or a DAP as its input? Thank you!

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #50 of 288
Kind of an odd question: I usually see people use a PC or a laptop or a server as their source. Can the Phoenix take just a portable hard drive or a DAP as its input? Thank you!
Let me take a stab at this one. As I understand it, there are a few benefits of the Phoenix. First, it is a low-noise switch. Most consumer grade Ethernet switches have noisy power supplies and chips that can increase noise for those of us that are using them in our digital audio chains. The Phoenix addresses this issue. Second, sending music digitally, for example over Ethernet or USB cables can cause an issue known as jitter. Jitter is inaccuracies in the timing associated with samples of the digital data. Timing inaccuracy can cause issues as digital signals are being translated into analog signals for playback. I believe that both switch noise and jitter are real issues, though the topics are debated. The Phoenix has low a noise chip, low noise power supply, isolation and a very accurate internal clock that works to fix these issues. It is a high quality network switch so the only input/output connections (for data) on the device are Ethernet (RJ45).

Most portable hard drives require a USB connection and the need to be connected to a computer for navigation, file management, etc. These hard drives will not work as an input for the Phoenix. There are some network accessible storage (NAS) devices that have the ability to connect, via Ethernet, to the Phoenix. Note that these will still require some form of interface, such as a laptop or tablet, for a complete solution.

DAPs come with many different feature sets. Many DAPs include a DAC so they output an analog signal e.g. A&K SP2000. These will not connect to the Phoenix.

Lastly, there is a category called music streamers, such as the Innuos Zen series, Antipodes, or even PCs. It is really just this category of devices at which the Phoenix is targeted.

Hopefully that makes sense? I'm no expert, so others please feel free to jump in if I've missed or miss stated anything.

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #51 of 288
@OceanRanger
I think he may have been referring to the phoenix usb reclocker and not the phoenixnet ethernet switch.

@bhschap
It will take the dap as input.
hooking up a portable drive as input may work if the drive is also connected to another machine with a music player calling the shots. Have not tried it tho..

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #52 of 288
@OceanRanger
I think he may have been referring to the phoenix usb reclocker and not the phoenixnet ethernet switch.

@bhschap
hooking up a portable drive as input may work if the drive is also connected to another machine with a music player calling the shots. Have not tried it tho..
ahhh, thanks for clarifying @Roasty ! @bhschap my apologies for heading off on the wrong product. doh. :xf_eek:

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #53 of 288
@OceanRanger

@bhschap
I greatly appreciate both of your input.
I am currently using a DAP --> Amber 3 DAC --> Cary SLP 98 preamp --> Cary CAD805AE Monos and was originally looking for an upgrade on the source side. I had my eye on something like Innuos Zen MK3 or Auralic Aries G1. I honestly just wanted an upgrade to the server. I didn't really care for a streamer or a ripper. I ran into the Phoenix and was curious if this could do the job, but better.

Anyways, any recommendations? Thanks again!

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #54 of 288
I greatly appreciate both of your input.
I am currently using a DAP --> Amber 3 DAC --> Cary SLP 98 preamp --> Cary CAD805AE Monos and was originally looking for an upgrade on the source side. I had my eye on something like Innuos Zen MK3 or Auralic Aries G1. I honestly just wanted an upgrade to the server. I didn't really care for a streamer or a ripper. I ran into the Phoenix and was curious if this could do the job, but better.

Anyways, any recommendations? Thanks again!
I'm with you. I've been looking at upgrading from my MacBook. I added a low-noise switch and did notice some improvements, but nothing like what I've heard with the Innuos servers. I too don't need a ripper. If it is just the server for which you are looking, the Antipodes CX might be an option. It is a low noise server. Antipodes does a pretty good job at splitting out server functionality from rendering functionality with SW. That said, even though I don't need the ripper, I have been more impressed by Innous' solutions than the others. I see a Zenith in my future.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #55 of 288
@bhschap

You're probably better off upgrading your server than adding a Phoenix to the chain. I think the gains will be more apparent with a better source.

Lots of nice options out there. Antipodes, 432 Evo servers, Aurender, Innuos, Pink Faun 2.16 to name a few. I have been looking at the innuos zenith recently, but I decided to just stick with my current configuration of a NUC running ROCK as a core out of sight and hidden in a corner, and having a few endpoints in my other rooms. I guess depends on your situation, ie if you're only going to be doing the listening in one room only..

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #56 of 288
Yea actually I do agree. The price they're asking for it is quite hard to swallow. I'm currently using an Uptone ER + AfterDark 10mhz clock and I think it is already pretty damn good.
I have an AudiophileStyle.com special AfterDark 10mhz OCXO squarewave clock 75ohm version on order for my Etherregen. I use a Paul Hynes SR4T to power my ER and that provided a noticeable uptick in SQ, so I ordered another SR4T to power the clock. I use Ghent Audio Gotham DC power cords for the ER and ordered another one for the clock. Yeah, I know that I'm going down a rabbit hole.... but it's fun. :relaxed:

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #57 of 288
I had a bit of free time yesterday.

Tried two setups:
1. Wall outlet, Intel NUC running Roon ROCK, USB, Rockna, Apollon power amp, Susvara
2. Usual setup with all the bells and whistles ie power conditioner, fancy cables and switches, fiber optic line, ER, SOtM, Innuos Phoenix, su6 ddc, to Rockna, Apollon amp, Susvara

Geez it is not a subtle difference.. The amount of treble energy, harshness and glare with the plain vanilla setup is immediately apparent. Next thing to hit is the relative lack of bass punch. And then when the music gets more complex, it sounds very congested and messy/rowdy.

Probably a sum of all the parts in the chain rather than just the Phoenix, but overall it's a realization that the "front end" before the dac really does contribute something to the final sound you get.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #58 of 288
I had a bit of free time yesterday.

Tried two setups:
1. Wall outlet, Intel NUC running Roon ROCK, USB, Rockna, Apollon power amp, Susvara
2. Usual setup with all the bells and whistles ie power conditioner, fancy cables and switches, fiber optic line, ER, SOtM, Innuos Phoenix, su6 ddc, to Rockna, Apollon amp, Susvara

Geez it is not a subtle difference.. The amount of treble energy, harshness and glare with the plain vanilla setup is immediately apparent. Next thing to hit is the relative lack of bass punch. And then when the music gets more complex, it sounds very congested and messy/rowdy.

Probably a sum of all the parts in the chain rather than just the Phoenix, but overall it's a realization that the "front end" before the dac really does contribute something to the final sound you get.
@Roasty great post. Thank you. Are you using the NUC as a server and a player?

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #59 of 288
@Roasty great post. Thank you. Are you using the NUC as a server and a player?

Thanks man! Am using the NUC as the Roon core. Have it in a fanless Akasa case and powered by a hdplex 300 lps.

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #60 of 288
Good morning.

Today I will order the INNUOS USB, to connect it to the Auralic Aries G 1 and the Chord Hugo tt2 dac. I wanted to start the market with PhoenixNET first, and then go to Phoenix USB, but I will listen to innuos's opinion which is the following:

Hi Nikos,

My feeling is that the PhoenixUSB would still be the first one to go for, since this will go straight into the signal path. I believe this remains the primary option to go for to begin with, but the PhoenixNET will definitely lend big benefits in the future too. But yes, i think if i were in your shoes i would go with the PhoenixUSB first.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back