Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker
Mar 8, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #256 of 281
While I really enjoy what this device does to the USB signal, I can't in good conscience keep it for the price. When my Gaia comes back from Denafrips repair, I'm going to return this loaner unit to the dealer. I just can't fathom spending this much on USB cleaning when I could purchase a new headphone amp for the same amount.

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #257 of 281
I do not understand why this usb device is much more popular than its sister product the ethernet device, it really is a wonderful device!

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #258 of 281
If only they included at least an SFP port on their ethernet device it would be a no brainer.
BUT different strokes for different folks...for the USB version.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #259 of 281
I do not understand why this usb device is much more popular than its sister product the ethernet device, it really is a wonderful device!
Based on my own journey, the aim was to clean the signal closer to the DAC first. Only thereafter I got round to the upstream, picking over right ethernet cables, switches and deciding for PhoenixNet.
Needless to say, the effect was cumulative 🤘

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #260 of 281
I returned the demo Phoenix USB Reclocker to the hifi shop that loaned it to me. If I were just using a single source via USB connection to my DAC, I probably would have kept it. It's a great device.

Today, I got my repaired Denafrips Gaia back and slotted it into my system. Since I've already invested in the Gaia and I'm running multiple devices (CD Transport, audio server, TV optical out) through it, it makes more sense in my setup. I have it connected via I2S to my Terminator Plus DAC and am using the clock sync function.

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #261 of 281
Hey @Roasty what are thinking of the pulsar + Phoenix usb? At another forum someone said that the double reclocking made a mess with the music, and he preferred the regular (non phoenix light) usb out of the pulsar into his Phoenix…

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #262 of 281
As opposed to the double Ethernet reclocking, which is be beneficial as per audiophile forums🤔...

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #263 of 281
Hey @Roasty what are thinking of the pulsar + Phoenix usb? At another forum someone said that the double reclocking made a mess with the music, and he preferred the regular (non phoenix light) usb out of the pulsar into his Phoenix…

I read that post/thread too. I don't find having the Phoenix USB after Pulsar messes up the music at all. Pulsar by itself is actually a bit forward sounding for my liking. especially with the Innuos sense app. Phoenix after seems to dial it down more to my liking.

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #265 of 281
Comparing one Phoenix USB box with two Denafrips DDC and master clock boxes, I suspect that having separate power supplies gives the two-box solution a slight advantage. Subjectively, the Denafrips combo sounds very good.

Screenshot_20231103_133203_Gallery.jpg

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #266 of 281
one Phoenix USB box with two Denafrips DDC
Did you try to daisy chain them? There can be a synergy by combining the USB signal clock in PN and word clock in Denafrips.

Also I was very surprised how the sound changed for the better when I added a Farad LPS to the external 5V input of the source USB card that was further connected to the PN. This might seem odd, but according to Farad having an extra supply on a USB card can make a difference, since the VBus output voltages for the receiver at the other side get better. I can only confirm this.

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #268 of 281
Daisy-chaining to double reclock... I had never thought of this before. Logically, it shouldn't result in further improvement, but who knows? I'll give it a try later.
Because these are different clocks. The 24Mhz clock for the USB signal only in PN and the 45/49 Mhz clock for the audio data in Denafrips. I suppose having PN after Denafrips should yield a better result.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #269 of 281
The Denafrips DDC does not have a USB output, so I can't place the PN after the Denafrips. I also suspect that the PN has a better clock, so placing the Denafrips after the PN likely offers no clocking benefits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back