Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker
Feb 15, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #241 of 281
I am using Sablon USB Evo in and out of Phoenix. Very resolving and neutral, highly recommended.
PhoenixUSB occurs to be sensitive to power cable upgrades as well.

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #242 of 281
thank you @Gazza , actually I expected (because of previous statements here and other forums) such responses, I mean, the Phoenix being considered a significant improvent even on top of a USB streamer and not a PC.

Still, should this improvement be there because 1) the streamer's USB wasnt so good at sending a "pure", "(almost) jitter free", etc signal to the DAC to start with, so shame on most streamer's manufacturers? 2) the Innuos's clocking is so good (or its internal LPS, but I dont know, was it so hi-end, the whole product would be costing into the 5k range, but of course I may be wrong), or 3) this is what Im most curious about: you have to add a second USB and powercable, and Im sure no one is using "ordinary" cables, but most with an Innuos and a streamer will be usin hi-end cables, which most likely impart their character to the sound. Hence my question above if one had tried the Innuos with more stock (or say mid-end level) cables.
My guess is if people have done this, the reply will be like: "with stock cables, the Innuos didnt add so much and the system didnt sound so good"; I may be a bit obnoxious about it , so keep in mind Im a believer (in cables, in DDC, in the Phoenix, etc) and will much likely get a Phoenix to try myself at some point when I find a used one in a good timing for me, but since we are starting with a streamer... hence the question, are we (you) mostly perceiving the addition of hi end cables into the mix or do improvements come mostly from the Innuos indeed? (another simple test would be, for those who used very good cables with the innuos, to switch it for another USB DDC solution and report. I understand this may sound a bit silly and simliar to the discussion of "do cables matter?" though, but Im just sharing my curiosity. I totally agree with you about the need for a well sorted DAC, and maybe this makes the discussion more relevant: to what DACs is the Phoenix improving things more? if I can get my hands on one, Ill be testing it with both the DAC200 and Spring 3 KTE, both considered to have good USB inputs (and would test with stock cables and then the best I could find, to see if I think it alters the character of my DAC, pre+amp)

Re: fancy USB cables potentially making the bigger difference, I already had one Curious Evolved cable going straight from my Innuos Zen Mini to my DAC. That sounded nice, no doubt, but there was still a impactful and marked improvement when I added the Phoenix. Hi-fi is one of those things that really is the sum of all parts and if you're going to spend $$$ on a USB re-clocker like the Phoenix you should have quality USB cables to go with it but the cables are not top of the food chain.

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #243 of 281
I have both normal and evolved to use from the streamer (opticalrendu) to the dac and been toying with the idea of adding the phoenix to the mix.

Wouldnt it be "strange" in a way if it does make a real improvent in this case? (I know, answer is probably "no. not strange as the phoenix is a great USB solution", but follow me one minute more...). I mean, the rendu is basically there to provide an ultra clean USB, fiber optic isolated, etc etc in the first place. To add the phoenix would mean adding another power cable, another USB cable, another (internal) PS.. so what Im listening to? the cables, a reclocker, where is the enhancements coming from? anyone tried the Phoenix with "good quality / not so expensive" USB and power cables? Are we really still listening or the sound charecter of our dac and pre+amp, just enhanced and let to finally perform at their best? or are we listening to a lot of good audio products mixed together, and firmly holding on the idea it has to sound better?

obviously Im not saying the Phoenix is not a great product to own, to add, well, even if you already use a streamer. I havent listened to it and there is no way to just audition in my country (and a new one here would go for around $7,500). Im just noting how "weird" things can become. One day someone will use an Intona (or whatever brand one chooses) galvanic isolator on top of the Phoenix on top of the streamer and claim the system sounds clearly better

back on track here.. @hifixman , what streamers have you directly compared to the Phoenix, and have you you tried any USB streamer along with the Innuos with the HP and speakers setup along with the Phoenix? btw also nice to see you here, I really enjoy this thread, I lost classfieds listing for a phoenix a couple of times already for just a little time ($$), but will keep watching for this and the Phoenix Net

Let me start by saying take my thoughts here with a MAJOR grain of salt. It could just be my ears, but downstream differences beyond a high quality dac have always tended to be smaller to me. Maybe my ears and hearing are WRONG, but it's been pretty consistent for me that the most valuable changes stem from the transducers, and then the amp, and then the DAC. Beyond that and it's a crapshoot between your biases and what your brain is synthesizing. Again, to me. (also, I use good quality, affordable Black Dragon cables. If well built, standard cables can't expose a component's quality, there is something seriously wrong.)

I sensed a small, subtle difference with the Phoenix. Mainly a slightly blacker background and just a smidge more openness. When changes perceived are this subtle (again, for me), I actually believe user misperception/bias/mental influence becomes MUCH more of a factor.

I would try to demo one first. Again, I can detect a difference, but it was not huge at all in my case, coming from a Macbook Pro to the Dave/Mscaler. For reference, the Mscaler was a bigger difference, but also somewhat close in subtlety for me. I like having it, but probably would not purchase again in my situation.

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #245 of 281
Oh, woe is me. Why did I go to the hifi shop today and take one of these “to demo at home?” I have been listening to music since we got home with it and find myself listening to albums from start to finish rather than flipping between tracks. Who needs a $3K USB reclocker? My poor Denafrips Gaia is out of commission and on the way to Texas for repair, so I find myself drawn to this overpriced but impressive device.

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #246 of 281
Oh, woe is me. Why did I go to the hifi shop today and take one of these “to demo at home?” I have been listening to music since we got home with it and find myself listening to albums from start to finish rather than flipping between tracks. Who needs a $3K USB reclocker? My poor Denafrips Gaia is out of commission and on the way to Texas for repair, so I find myself drawn to this overpriced but impressive device.

welcome to the party! I'm still very much enjoying having this component in my chain. did the shop have the phoenixnet as well?

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #247 of 281
welcome to the party! I'm still very much enjoying having this component in my chain. did the shop have the phoenixnet as well?
Yes, but I’m not going there. I already have the Synergistic Research hifi version of a router. I’m sure the Phoenixnet would be better, but I’ll pass.

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #248 of 281
Hi all, the PhoenixUSB has caught my eye but I'm wondering if it would work in my chain and would love your advice.

This week I will be getting an Esoteric N-05XD DAC which is an all in one DAC/streamer/preamp etc. It's a very highly rated unit and the streamer is actually developed by Lumin so it should sound great. But of course I'm already considering ways to make it sound even better :wink:

My original plan was to use the following chain: Roon on my PC -> Ethernet switch -> Etherregen -> Ethernet in the Esoteric DAC/streamer, with the whole chain being eventually clocked by a master clock, probably a Mutec REF10 or a Cybershaft.

In regards to the PhoenixUSB, would it be wise to add it somewhere in the above chain? Or maybe even rethink my chain to now include USB?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #249 of 281
No it is not cause the built in interface of Esoteric is good enough, adding another interface as Innuous will make the sound less coherent partly due to the phase inconsistency as a result of the collision of the master clock in Innous and the built in clock in Eso or an external master clock you plan to add in the future.

But the most important reason is the built in interface in ESO matches best synergistically speaking.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #250 of 281
My original plan was to use the following chain: Roon on my PC -> Ethernet switch -> Etherregen -> Ethernet in the Esoteric DAC/streamer, with the whole chain being eventually clocked by a master clock, probably a Mutec REF10 or a Cybershaft.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If it's me will buy two LHY SW-10, use SFP Fiber Optic for isolation to connect both. See Alvin's introduction.

Mar 8, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #251 of 281
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #252 of 281
Replacing: Ethernet switch -> Etherregen

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #253 of 281
Mar 8, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #254 of 281
Because the SW-10 switch is (Ethernet Switch + Fiber Optic Converter + OCXO Clock + LPS).

Just a reminder. When investing to a more precision clock. Be sure to connect to all DAC/Streamer and both SW-10 switches (if you plan to buy two as Alvin have propsed in its video).

Will be buying also two of those for my setup. UNLESS you will wait for EtherRegen II.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #255 of 281
Because the SW-10 switch is (Ethernet Switch + Fiber Optic Converter + OCXO Clock + LPS).

Just a reminder. When investing to a more precision clock. Be sure to connect to all DAC/Streamer and both SW-10 switches (if you plan to buy two as Alvin have propsed in its video).
Gotcha. Will try it out when I get a clock. Thanks for the pointers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back