Inner | fidelity - Comparing World-Class Headphone
Sep 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 93
Very nice review, but why he use a LCD2 rev.1? 
confused.gif

Not very helpful because if anyone want to buy an new LCD2, he only can buy a Rev.2. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 93
Damnit, reading that article is probably gonna cost me five grand.

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 93
The cans he used in the project were not of his choice but cans that volunteers sent to him. Tyll had no choice on what to use in his experiment, only to work with what he had at hand, which is always the problem with grand-scale headphone comparisons, since someone will always blurt out "but what about THESE cans?"

It's a daunting task to undertake to measure every single revision of every top-tier headphone out there. The fact that what was done was actually DONE (especially the measurements) is a testament of how time-consuming such projects can be. Also, I am sure that Tyll is not done with measuring electrostatic headphones... he's too passionate about this hobby to call it a day (the man's been in this biz how long now? Geez). If you can get it to him, he will measure it.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 93
I had the same kinda impression too!!

I thought I was the only one!! hahaha.

I wasn't able to pinpoint where exactly but, comparing the LCD2 to the HD800s, the 800s just had a touch of extra class over the LCD2, almost making them sound heavy handed.

I wanted to believe the LCD2s were at the very top of the good chain. The wood accents look classy. The leather as well. For so long they've been my dream flagship. After side-by-side comparisons I was left feeling a little 'mehh' by the LCD2. And they're so HEAVY!........  the HD800s however....

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #13 of 93
what i took from the article:

every one of those headphones have serious shortcomings, when compared with the SR-009.

duh.

tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #14 of 93
what i took from the article:

every one of those headphones have serious shortcomings, when compared with the SR-009.

duh.

tongue.gif

That's actually an accurate statement and not BS. It's funny because high-end (or even middle tier) speakers tend to sound very similar to each other - the differences among them are more subtle. They typically have fairly flat or at the very least smooth extended frequency responses. The 009 is the only headphone I've heard that's speaker like in these respects.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #15 of 93
I find his comments spot on in regards to my few day demo of the LCD-2 ... not sure what revision I had but his words are just what I thought: "Not so analytical but certainlly super super sweet and easy" ... especially the comment about the mids ... 

When my ship comes in ... I'm gonna get an 009 rig as well. ... but that could be quite the long wait.

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back