inglourious basterds, how is this nominated for an oscar?
Feb 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #16 of 37
Have to agree with the op.Was not impressed with Basterds at all.Truth be told, i wasnt that impressed with Avatar either, (the story line that is).

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #17 of 37
I agree Tarantino is one of the most overappreciated directors but I liked Inglourious Basterds. I also have to agree it's not oscar material.

It gets better the second time you see it btw.

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 37
I loved IB. It was one of the best written and best acted movies last year. Productuon values were high, as well. A lot of people don't appreciate Quentin's style, but his movies are all about the interaction of the characters and the dialog. If that's not your thing, that's OK, but if you appreciate those kinds of movies, IB is exceptionally fine. So is the Coens' "A Serious Man." The subject matter might be dull to some, but the writing, acting and production are top shelf. I loved it. Another that should have made the cut was "Moon." A perfect little film that no one saw. In ten years, it willhave a solid cult following and be considered a sci-fi classic.

I don't understand how the leaden and awful "District 9" got a nom. Great backstory, really, really great backstory. It hooked me and made me want to see it. But the actual movie was a generic shootemup with generic bad guys and a generic script. Easily the biggest disappointment of the year. How much more interesting it would have been if the movie started when the ship appeared and went through the concept - and without the "action." It could have been a classic.

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 37
I didn't hate Inglourious Basterds, I actually found it fairly entertaining. But, and this could be said of a lot of recent Tarantino movies, it seems to lack any depth and doesn't really challenge the audience at all. It just doesn't seem any more worthy of an award than any generic action blockbuster.

I think it just got the nomination because a lot of gullible critics (in my opinion) think that Tarentino makes art movies or something, which he clearly doesn't.

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 37
As for me Basterds wasn't so bad, actually I have enjoyed it. Waltz performance was tremendous.
Offtopic. Tarantino's Death Proof was way too much lazy and boring. Did not liked it at all.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #21 of 37
I hate movies. I loved IB. Effin' funny, brilliant dialog, and together with Schindlers List the only movie that didn't either bore or annoy me so much it made me want to kill myself. (everything John Cleese excluded of course) Didn't go to see LOTR 3 because I fell asleep watching 2, walked out of the cinema more than once (recently District 9 and Public Enemies), but this one made my evening. Ridiculous story, lovely humour and oh my god the actors were good. Don't know if that makes it Oscar-material, but it sure was entertaining.
The lack of a cliché ending everybody sees coming from the 2nd minute was a pleasant surprise too.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizwej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have to agree with the op.Was not impressed with Basterds at all.Truth be told, i wasnt that impressed with Avatar either, (the story line that is).

Ditto. I actually left the theater with about an hour to go (although I did have some shopping I had to do badly) but it wasnt an OMG I MUST WATCH THIS movie. I caught the end recently.) Amusing bits, some really awful bits, really stupid ending. Anti-heroes that were so anti-hero I didnt like them (felt sorry for the Nazis getting thwacked by the "bear jew"). Again, Tarantino has this thing for B-Movies, and this was just a cut above it.

Problem, as usual with the Oscars, is that the "serious" contenders are films I'll rarely bother seeing. "The Blind Side" I might watch, but it doesnt look like I'll love it. The Hurt Locker I'll definitely see. "Precious" who cares. "Up in the Air" looks good. An Education could be cool. I did see A Serious Man and it was one of the FEW films I watched through all the way fascinated this year. So, so far, that's my pick.

Oh yes, Avatar, the more I think about that movie, the stupider I realize it was.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #25 of 37
Inglorious Basterds is easily my favorite Tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. He finally broke out of the mold he got himself locked into back in the 90's with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction and redefined the kind of film he can make. Maybe not best picture, but certainly worth nominating.

Avatar, on the other hand, is just Pocahontas (the Disney cartoon movie) in outer space.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #26 of 37
I will continue the notion that IB shouldnt be the movie people complain about being nominated, it really should be avatar. Avatar while visually impressive, was anything but a good film. Maybe better then most popcorn films, but thats like being the smartest kid with downs syndrome.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will continue the notion that IB shouldnt be the movie people complain about being nominated, it really should be avatar. Avatar while visually impressive, was anything but a good film. Maybe better then most popcorn films, but thats like being the smartest kid with downs syndrome.

I agree with that. Avatar should get a nod for visual effects, but that's about it.

I liked IB quite a bit. It was nicely shot, the dialog was good, and the acting was generally very good. I'm not a huge Tarantino fan, but I thought he did a great job.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be complaining about Avatar, not IB. This was a fantastic movie.

Sorry, but one man's fantastic is another man's "it was okay...."

But IB was certainly better than okay, as far a contemporary films go. However it had a very disconnected feel to me...a couple big set peices tied together a bit haphazardly... which is a shame since Pulp Fiction was one of the most brilliantly constructed films of all time. And Jackie Brown was such a perfectly crafted little thriller it gets overlook. I just feel Tarantino is being really sloppy these days.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another that should have made the cut was "Moon." A perfect little film that no one saw. In ten years, it will have a solid cult following and be considered a sci-fi classic.

I liked Moon quite a bit, but I wouldn't call it perfect. The way the robot just sort of switched from doing what it was supposed to do for the company to helping Sam wasn't really explained. Why are the clones essentially "used up" after 3 years? Unexplained. And the way the robot just sort of comes out and says what the twist is was lame. "Am I a clone?" "Yep". They couldn't do better than that? The feel good ending was also a bit weak. If they wanted to be realistic, the trip back to earth in a pod designed to ship mining materials should've killed him.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However it had a very disconnected feel to me...a couple big set peices tied together a bit haphazardly... which is a shame since Pulp Fiction was one of the most brilliantly constructed films of all time. And Jackie Brown was such a perfectly crafted little thriller it gets overlook. I just feel Tarantino is being really sloppy these days.

I agree with you on this part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back