inglourious basterds, how is this nominated for an oscar?
Feb 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 37
I don't really care for awards. Personally, I liked Bastards, even though it wasn't necessarily spectacular.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 37
I liked it. Some scenes were pretty well made and Christoph Waltz deserves actor of the year.

Why do you think it's bad?

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else think the Academy is losing it (just kidding, I don't know if they ever "had it.") It seems absurd that this movie would be nominated, but I guess "Juno" won an Oscar.

I agree. Didn't they just expand their categories from including like five nominees to something like ten? There are few movies that I can't make it through to the end, with this movie it was really close. I don't even really want to spend more time critiquing it except that for me the story and the pacing just didn't work. It was way too long. Then again, though I liked it more than the film in question, I wasn't impressed with "The Hurt Locker" either.

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else think the Academy is losing it (just kidding, I don't know if they ever "had it.") It seems absurd that this movie would be nominated, but I guess "Juno" won an Oscar.

I think it just comes down to the relative competition that it had for the year... which was not that great really.
confused_face.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 37
Christoph Waltz made that film for me. I highly enjoyed it. Many memorable and hilarious moments and very quotable. The whole style of that movie was just ridiculous. It was hilarious just how random it was at times.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 37
Best Picture Nominees...

(1) "Avatar"
(2) "The Blind Side"
(3) "District 9"
(4) "An Education"
(5) "The Hurt Locker"
(6) "Inglourious Basterds"
(7) "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire"
(8) "A Serious Man"
(9) "Up"
(10) "Up in the Air"

I didn't see "An Education," "Precious," or "The Blind Side," but I would personally rate all of the others above "Inglourious Basterds." ("Avatar" might be about tied...) Just my personal opinion....I would rate the films that I saw as follows...

(1) "District 9"
(2) "Up In The Air"
(3) "A Serious Man"
(4) "Up"
(5) "The Hurt Locker"
(6) "Avatar"
(7) "Inglourious Basterds"

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 37
It depends on personal preference and what you look for in a film to classify it as good. Everyone has different tastes just like music.

With that said, out of the ten films nominated this year Inglorious Basterds is clearly my vote for best picture. Christoph Waltz was phenomenal and the IB script is seriously impressive. I also thoroughly enjoyed District 9, but the first half of that film is vastly superior to the second. The rest of the films on the list were just fluff IMO. Coraline was a much more impressive animated film than UP, so I'm not really sure how UP even made Best Picture list to begin with. The Hurt Locker was entertaining but not groundbreaking, and Avatar has to be one of the most overrated films of all time. The script was cheese and predictable although I will admit the visuals were extremely impressive. Best Film, to me though, is something the encompasses all aspects of the film. You can't have something just wow you visually and then give it a pass for having a cliche predictable story with a weak script. Just doesn't work that way for me.

I've seen everything on the list aside from Precious. My vote would go to either Inglorious Basterds or A Serious Man.

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on personal preference and what you look for in a film to classify it as good. Everyone has different tastes just like music.

Absolutely...I liked Christoph Waltz's performance and "Coraline" too...

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 37
I too was surprised by Basterd's getting a best picture nod. As others have said Christoph was amazing to watch but the movie was average. It dragged on and on like a turtle with a limp! A far cry from Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs or even the Kill Bill movies. I like the ten nominations idea but maybe this year's line up of movies they should have stuck with five. I am going to see Avatar tonight to see what all the hype is about.

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 37
Classic Tarantino revisionist fantasy, highly enjoyable popcorn-worthy movie.

Oscar material? Surprising but OK with me!

It will probably give Avatar a run for the golden statue.

Neither movie is very challenging to understand, yet both are extremely entertaining while making not-so-subtle political points.

The dumbing down of America continues...

Two thumbs up
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back