INFORMATION OVERLOAD! - where to start!?! HD650/600 AHD2000/5000 Grado RS2i AKG K701/702/Q701 Beyerdynamic DT880?
Jan 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

reidk02

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am very new to headphones and audio equipment but I am very into good sound! I have just started reading about products and I have set myself a budget for $500 (although depending on the salesperson i could be convinced to go higher :p) for either headphones or a headphone and amp combo but I am seriously struggling with a case of information overload. There is just sooooooo much out there an I can hardly choose where to start. I initially made my decision to get a nice set of headphones so that I can put them on and zone out and listen to music whilst working at universtiy into the late hours of the morning! Given that my music tastes are alternate/indie but I will listen to anything from radiohead to tchaikovsky I am searching for a good all rounder. 

Any guidance on where to get started would be fantastic! I.e. should I be looking at buying the best headphones with no amp and purchasing an amp at a later date, should I purchase decend headphones with a semi decent amp or should I purchase a good amp and get the best headphones later?

Thanks for your help in advance and thanks for such a great forum!!!

Cheers
Keith

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Here is some good places to start:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear

^^^ These have user reviews attached to them, so reading them would be a good way to find information. I'm sure someone will come along in this thread and help. But I will just say this: everyone has different hearing. Everyone has different preferences. You will never see a universally loved Headphone where 100% of the people say it's the best. One person might love something, and another person might hate it.

What's even more, this is even true for a brand in itself where there are different models. So the best thing you can do is really do your research, see what appeals to you - and try them out. I suggest using Amazon.com (and making sure you buy through them) as you can return them within 30 days. I have never had Amazon tell me no, and they've refunded me. Obviously don't abuse this. 

Or, if you have a local store that sells headphones, go there and try them out. I unfortunately don't have any audio stores near me to try headphones out. So I have to always take a shot in the dark and go off what people say, then try the headphones myself by ordering them. Lastly, trust your own ears. No matter what others say, it doesn't mean much if it's not what you hear. 

Good luck!

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for such a quick response Satanigatan! Ok So i probably should have seen these links considering the amount of time I have been spending online reading up on this subject so I apologise for the novice questions!

I have thought a little more on the matter and I have boiled my choices down to two - Sennheiser HD650's or Denon AHD2000 These are both within my price range. I like the idea of the Denon's not requiring an amp because it would be nice to travel with my headphones and connect them them to an iPod without the need of usb/portable amplifier. However.... would the Sennheiser's really be without use in this area?... After reading reviews it seems that the Sennheisers are more capable of producing the type of sound I am looking for and I have tried them on one or two occasions but always connected to an amplifier.... should they simply not be used without an amplifier?

Either way I will be looking at purchasing an Amplifier and if I go with the Denon's I will probably use the FiiO 9 + 7 Combo due to price point and no real need for a massive boost. Would this combo work ok with the Sennheisers or should i be looking at another DAC/Amplifier combo. Please Take into consideration that I will primarily be listening to music from my 2009 MacBook Pro or my iPhone. However I will later be looking at purchasing a Rega P3 and new hifi system. One Day at a Time Though :p

Again thanks for your response.

Cheers
Keith

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 4
I would put all my money into a set of headphones.

When deciding, the first question I'd ask is whether you want an open or closed headphone.
Open headphones= people around you can hear your music, and you can hear outside noise.
Closed headphones= opposite of above.

After deciding that, it comes down to personal preference. What kind of sound are you looking for (ie. bass-heavy, neutral sounding, etc.)?

There are some cans that are hard to drive (HD650, AKG 7xx, Beyer models with 600Ω, etc.)
I would stay away from those until you can get a decent amp.
For most other cans, amps do help, but not as much as you might think from reading everyone talk about them on here.
I, like you, read posts and asked for advice on here as I was looking for my first set of good cans.
It seemed like an amp would make headphones sound much better, where in reality, an amp under $200 will likely make your headphone sound about 5% better.

i have the HD600, and they sound real good out of my MacbookPro. They sound a bit better with my Fiio e9/e10 combo (but not night and day difference). I'd say search search for a few sets of cans that pair well with the music and sound you are into, and then go to a local store and compare them before you choose. From what I've read, the AHD2000 sound amazing and are great all-rounders. But if I were you I'd use the entire budget on the AHD5000's.

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back