Inexpensive and Easy to Install Headband Mod
Sep 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rmouser

Multiple accounts (thunderhead)

Hello Head-fiers,

I don't think I'm breaking any rules here, hope not.

I stumbled across this item in eBay a few days ago. It is a snap-on headband cushion made, apparently, of black naugahyde. It is made for Grado Prestige series; SR 60i - 325i. It is 8 inches long and 3.5 inches wide. The cushion down the center is 1.25 inches wide.

Other headbands could be adapted it seems. They are real soft and are installed/removed in seconds via the snaps. The other great part is that they are just $9.70 on Ebay; just search HEADBAND PADS. The name of the company is Audio Equip.

Cheers!

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 5
I bought two of them several weeks ago and like them alot.  The material is a tad thin, so we shall see how they hold up in the long run, but I am using them on an HD650 and a Shure SRH840 (modded headband) and they are great.  They also give off a nice retro vibe.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, I intentionally took apart my Shure SRH840 headband to make the headphones lighter.  There is a rather big, heavy rubber piece that covers the top of the headband.  I removed that along with most of the plastic.  So basically I had a metal band, the sliders, and the earpieces.  I simply wrapped the snap pad around it and it is a perfect, comfortable, lightweight fit.  Very happy with it.

For the HD650's, I bought them with a broken headband (the plastic on top snapped in half).  A piece of aluminum is glued to the top to keep the pieces together rigidly, the stock padding on the headband is removed, and the snap pad is wrapped around it all.  Again, perfect, comfortable, lightweight fit :)  So I got a killer deal on some sweet headphones that took almost zero money to fix and make very comfortable.

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 5
Glad to hear that. Once in a while good deals come floating by. I like the way they raise the phones up higher make the Grados much more confortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back