Inexpensive amp for DT880/600
Oct 20, 2010 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Wirbel

100+ Head-Fier
Thinking about picking up a pair of DT880/600, but I know that they need an amp to sound best. The price ($300 shipped to Canada) is already pushing my original budget beyond what I hoped to spend, but I figure they are probably worth it instead of buying something cheaper (like the SHR840s which I didn't like) and upgrading later.

Anyway, I'm going to run these from my Xonar DX but need an amp recommendation. Due to my budget problems, I definitely can't afford anything expensive at this point. I've never purchased an amp before so I don't know how much I'd need to spend to adequately power these.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 6
 You can't go wrong with Millet Starving Student, for cheap.

Matrix M-Stage is sounding really good with my DT880/600 right now, but I needed to change power cord, interconnect and make the Class A biasing to make them sing - it is very dependent of other components I found.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 6
My dt880/600 are coming in today. I did a fair amount of research before buying them and the general consensus is that they pair very well with tube amps. I personally went with the Woo Audio 6, which should be coming next week. Take a look at the WA3 from Woo Audioi and the Little Dot amps.

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
 You can't go wrong with Millet Starving Student, for cheap.

Matrix M-Stage is sounding really good with my DT880/600 right now, but I needed to change power cord, interconnect and make the Class A biasing to make them sing - it is very dependent of other components I found.

What opamp and powercord are you using? And what benefits did the power cord change bring to the mix?

-Daniel

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
What opamp and powercord are you using? And what benefits did the power cord change bring to the mix?

-Daniel

Daniel,

Right now I'm using 2 DIY power cords (one has cryoed Furutech Gold plugs and other has fake Oyaide Gold+Rhodium plugs), that are very relaxed and open sounding. The opamp is LM4562.

I have an Earth HDAM coming home, that I bought after testing it and founding that it could control the problems I had at that time. Then recently I changed my powercord (Hospital Grade plugs to fake Oyaides) and everything went to a whole new level, all flaws solved, without changing the LM4562! I really don't know which OPA I'll be using in future.

What the newest power cord did to the sound was a much more open sound, with beautifull non fatiguing detailed highs, control in bass, huge soundstage and something my Compass had, and the Millet too, that my M-Stage did not at that time: non congested mids.

The text above sounds a little confusing, it is my poor English.
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm 99% I'm gonna order me dt880/600, which should be a big step-up from senn hd555=). I'm looking for a suiting amp to use with them...Budget is around 500 dollars-->350-400€(I live in Slovenia, Europe, so the fact that it can get shipped to me is pretty important). Will be using them for mixing/checking my mixes for additional details I might miss on monitors and everyday use(I'm used to using my monitors for everything, so there should be no problem)-music(everything from jazz to metal), movies, etc.

I want the flattest sound possible, so I guess I'm going for SS over tube. Crossover would be nice, thats why I'm looking into Meier's Corda Swing...on the other hand I don't know if it would be better to go for a balanced amp and mod cans to make them balanced. Looking into LD mkVII+. The LD MKV looks rather nice with a nice price too. So does the Matrix M-stage and mini-i with dac. Or Yulong D100 with dac-review here is quite good-a tiny bit worried as it's said it didn't go as well with dt990/600...

If you think other headphones would be more suitable for this...I haven't ordered them yet so there's still time(Still a dilemma betwen 880/600, 880pro and senn hd650 or hd600).

Thank you for your help.

PS: I'm going to a friends house in next days to compare dt880/250(i think) and hd650 on woo wa6se, so we'll se how that goes=)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back