InEarZ (Fisher Hearing) Custom Remold Owner's Thread
Feb 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #122 of 3,191
cool looking iems, should inspire comments in person

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #125 of 3,191
pyp007, thanks very much. That helped me in getting the pictures uploaded.
Regards
Sai
DSC00356.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #127 of 3,191
If you're looking for pictures, that's going to be after I get some time to take/edit them.

But here's my Triple.Fi 10 Fisher Remold story:
1. Shipped out 1/28, Fisher received them the 1st, and promptly got to work
2. Date on my IEMs say 2/9/10, although I just received them today (2-day shipping), as I was told that Kim didn't like the work done on one of the shells and had them remade.
3. Between today and when I first had interest in Fisher, Kaysen has been incredible with answering my questions about ordering and order status questions.

Now, about sound:
1. Balance: quite well balanced between both ears, although I felt that it was ever so left heavy, but that might be related to fit on the right monitor
2. Lows: you can "feel" each drum hit, but while listening to the drum on "Seventeen Years" by Ratatat, there's a hollowness and shallowness. Each bass strum is felt though, a little bit of an improvement over my old Shure E4Cs/SCL4's bass, but things just felt a bit "odd". For example, the bassline on "Sandstorm" is quite clean, but the drum hits just sound dirty
3. The dirtiness is probably related to the fact that mids sound very muffled and shallow.
4. Highs are truly perfect and very clear-take the first 13 seconds of "Losing Touch" by the Killers for example, each note rings with a clarity that is neither harsh nor shrill.
Returning to 3. Returning to the mids--vocals sound utter bizarre. It's as if my head was sandwiched between two pillows.

Anyone know what this could be a result of?
I tried pressing on various parts to see if quality improved, but I didn't notice much. The sound signature is really strange, for example, rappers sounds incredibly muffled--should I send them back and get them analyzed on their SPL machine?

Fit/finish:
1. There's a decent number of dust particles/bubbles in my shell, some parts aren't polished perfectly, and the flat part was uneven (quite wavy)
2. All parts are kind of hazy, instead of crystal clear.
3. I think Fisher's method involves making a mold directly from the shell instead of the laser-scanning process that UE uses.
4. There's almost no seams, just a few unnpolished patches.
5. Instead of resting flush with my ear, my right monitor slants out at the top (photos later)

More stuff:
DO NOT try to repeatedly swap out cables--I ripped out one of the pins from the Fisher cable about the 3rd time I removed the cables while comparing them to the stock UE cable. That's a $30 mistake...and I won't be getting the good cables until Monday. Related--does anyone know how to make your own cables for custom IEMs? I think the old Fisher cable would be a great way to harvest hardware to use with my own UP-OCC silver cables I found. A DIY guide would be awesome.

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #130 of 3,191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breex243 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried pressing on various parts to see if quality improved, but I didn't notice much. The sound signature is really strange, for example, rapers sounds incredibly muffled--should I send them back and get them analyzed on their SPL machine?

"Rapers?" LOL.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #132 of 3,191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breex243 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for pictures, that's going to be after I get some time to take/edit them.

But here's my Triple.Fi 10 Fisher Remold story:
1. Shipped out 1/28, Fisher received them the 1st, and promptly got to work
2. Date on my IEMs say 2/9/10, although I just received them today (2-day shipping), as I was told that Kim didn't like the work done on one of the shells and had them remade.
3. Between today and when I first had interest in Fisher, Kaysen has been incredible with answering my questions about ordering and order status questions.

Now, about sound:
1. Balance: quite well balanced between both ears, although I felt that it was ever so left heavy, but that might be related to fit on the right monitor
2. Lows: you can "feel" each drum hit, but while listening to the drum on "Seventeen Years" by Ratatat, there's a hollowness and shallowness. Each bass strum is felt though, a little bit of an improvement over my old Shure E4Cs/SCL4's bass, but things just felt a bit "odd". For example, the bassline on "Sandstorm" is quite clean, but the drum hits just sound dirty
3. The dirtiness is probably related to the fact that mids sound very muffled and shallow.
4. Highs are truly perfect and very clear-take the first 13 seconds of "Losing Touch" by the Killers for example, each note rings with a clarity that is neither harsh nor shrill.
Returning to 3. Returning to the mids--vocals sound utter bizarre. It's as if my head was sandwiched between two pillows.

I tried pressing on various parts to see if quality improved, but I didn't notice much. The sound signature is really strange, for example, rappers sounds incredibly muffled--should I send them back and get them analyzed on their SPL machine?

Fit/finish:
1. There's a decent number of dust particles/bubbles in my shell, some parts aren't polished perfectly, and the flat part was uneven (quite wavy)
2. All parts are kind of hazy, instead of crystal clear.
3. I think Fisher's method involves making a mold directly from the shell instead of the laser-scanning process that UE uses.
4. There's almost no seams, just a few unnpolished patches.
5. Instead of resting flush with my ear, my right monitor slants out at the top (photos later)

More stuff:
DO NOT try to repeatedly swap out cables--I ripped out one of the pins from the Fisher cable about the 3rd time I removed the cables while comparing them to the stock UE cable. That's a $30 mistake...and I won't be getting the good cables until Monday. Related--does anyone know how to make your own cables for custom IEMs? I think the old Fisher cable would be a great way to harvest hardware to use with my own UP-OCC silver cables I found. A DIY guide would be awesome.

That really stinks. Just keep sending them back until they get the sound right and the fit/finish right. It took me 5 tries and many people have to send them back at least once.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #133 of 3,191
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That really stinks. Just keep sending them back until they get the sound right and the fit/finish right. It took me 5 tries and many people have to send them back at least once.

Yeah, I went and tried to ID some of the things that were ill-fitting with my monitors, and found that the right one has really, really poor seals. The left one is almost perfect. I highly suggest this tool to ID fit issues (from UE, heh):
UE Custom Fit Tool

Also, I found that it's kind of hard to tell if a part is loose, but a good way to check is to press from behind the ear at different parts.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #134 of 3,191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What color did you ask for? Those look nice...

i asked for black translucent, but a bit more solid...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back