Industrial Designer looking to collaborate with Engineer for Badass Amp
Jan 20, 2009 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cash68

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey, just tossing around a few more ideas for my thesis. If any of you amp builders wanted to hit me up, I was considering doing something audio related for my thesis. I would need someone to build the internals, while I could focus on the exterior. Here's a look at some of my work from over 1 year ago.... I've been interning at a powertool company since then, and am unable to update a lot of it due to the fact that most of my designs are still in the tooling process and are not yet on the market.

Here you go:

Rob Podell - Student and Intern - Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Also, companies I've done business (designs) for: Fiskars, AO Smith, Masterlock, Empire Level, Core77, and a few more. Contact me for more info!

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 7
Are you looking to create a brand new amp? Or is this basically a re-casing of a B22 for example?

If you are looking to create an entirely new amp entity then I would love to get involved in the project if possible. While I cant claim to be experienced enough to spearhead such an endeavor (about to graduate in May with a BSEE). So long as those involved were willing to put up with a sniveling intern.

I will be busy with my senior project and applying to grad schools, but Im willing to forgo what free time Id normally eek out to help with something like this.

Speaking of grad school, Im thinking of going to UW Milwaukee if I cant get into UW Madison or Texas A&M. I know that their department for EE is similar to UNR here. How do you like the college and area?

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 7
The million dollar question - who gets the amp in the end?
smily_headphones1.gif

If I do, then I absolutely would love to build an amp for your custom case. If you do, well... maybe, but you pay for my parts and time.

Now if you can whip up two cases, I can whip up two amps and you'll cover my just the parts cost for you amp and end up with a fantastic amp in the end. All labor involved (picking and obtaining parts, building and wiring) will be free in exchange for what I hope will be an awesome looking case.
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Why all those fancy looking expensive cases? Why not take a real challenge and make a cheap versatile case that would be useful for DIY'ers. I'd hate to pay more for the case than the actual amp.

I've been thinking about a universal PCB for playing around with. A PCB with traces for CFP, cascoding, CCS's, double EF, complementary etc, where you can bypass the tweaks you don't want with a jumper wire. Just for fun, to find out what those tweaks really do, and in the end make the perfect amp.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Nice work! I'd be interested if you wanted to do a nice tube project - I prefer to work point-to-point with tube gear.

Would you consider making two of the project? One for you, one for the amp builder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back