Indonesian portable DAP prototype discussion (split from Tera Player thread)
Feb 6, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #346 of 391
Yes, I also was confirming that P1 is not using R2R, but Multibit DAC

So, the project based on AD1862 is closed?
frown.gif

Well, its more or less to be expected.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #348 of 391
  I would totally buy an AD1862 dap! Analog Devices is my favorite IC company, and a modern R2R dap would be way cool.

Dream on, my friend. I will gladly join too
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, we will never see it in production as a serial DAP simply because: 1) chips are obsolete; 2) most likely, it will be a huge brick . As for creating such individually, I think it's possible but it will cost too much for one person to get one.
Still, there are some good chips in production like AD1851, AD1856 but I doubt somebody will bother trying implement it in a DAP or even portable DAC/AMP. Everybody is fine with delta-sigma results
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #349 of 391
What's the deal with the T1 amp? Is that being released also or was just a prototype for A1?

T1 is Nutube (Korg & Noritake) based audio amplifier, still on development.

Keep us informed of when the P1 availability comes around for international buyers please @tjstyle.
I would like to buy one too when they're available.......

The first batch I just make below 10Pcs,
But I will producing more in the future.

I would totally buy an AD1862 dap! Analog Devices is my favorite IC company, and a modern R2R dap would be way cool.

The problem to use AD18xx DAC is the total unit dimension will be huge, I still not confidence to make due portability reason.

Dream on, my friend. I will gladly join too:D
Unfortunately, we will never see it in production as a serial DAP simply because: 1) chips are obsolete; 2) most likely, it will be a huge brick . As for creating such individually, I think it's possible but it will cost too much for one person to get one.
Still, there are some good chips in production like AD1851, AD1856 but I doubt somebody will bother trying implement it in a DAP or even portable DAC/AMP. Everybody is fine with delta-sigma results:frowning2:  

Sure, hard to find at large quantity for obsolete product and also harder to implement as portable unit, can't be fitted to a tiny enclosure like G1, A1 and P1 use.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #350 of 391
T1 is Nutube (Korg & Noritake) based audio amplifier, still on development.

The problem to use AD18xx DAC is the total unit dimension will be huge, I still not confidence to make due portability reason.

How big would AD18xx DAP become? I have a few larger "brick" DAP's with dual PCB's, and I love them, as long is it is less than 1.5" thick I'm fine with it 
biggrin.gif

I look forward to the Nutube amp as well, will be interesting to see how they sound.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #351 of 391

How big would AD18xx DAP become? I have a few larger "brick" DAP's with dual PCB's, and I love them, as long is it is less than 1.5" thick I'm fine with it 
biggrin.gif

Hypothetically, I think it will be at least the size of HM-801. It's well-known R2R dap besides Hifi E.T. MA9 using mid grade chips PCM 1704.
Too bad they stopped producing 801.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #352 of 391
  Hypothetically, I think it will be at least the size of HM-801. It's well-known R2R dap besides Hifi E.T. MA9 using mid grade chips PCM 1704. Too bad they stopped producing 801.

HM801 size is perfectly manageable, I wasn't a huge fan of the circuit design though, I had a chance to buy a brand new one on clearance at less than half price and still decided not to. I nearly bought the MA9, but the issue for me was it would need heavy modding to bring it's digital circuit up to scratch, but both the analog circuit's were excellent though, much better than HM801's.

A huge shame a perfect R2R dap was never made. But TJ can change that! 
biggrin.gif

Thick dual PCB dap's like HM901 and QA360 still have a decent enough market presence.

So I encourage TJ to make a batch of DAP's with AD18XX, surely they will sell out the batch of 10! I will buy two if I have to!

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #353 of 391
  Hypothetically, I think it will be at least the size of HM-801. It's well-known R2R dap besides Hifi E.T. MA9 using mid grade chips PCM 1704.
Too bad they stopped producing 801.

HM801 size is perfectly manageable, I wasn't a huge fan of the circuit design though, I had a chance to buy a brand new one on clearance at less than half price and still decided not to. I nearly bought the MA9, but the issue for me was it would need heavy modding to bring it's digital circuit up to scratch, but both the analog circuit's were excellent though, much better than HM801's.

A huge shame a perfect R2R dap was never made. But TJ can change that! 
biggrin.gif

Thick dual PCB dap's like HM901 and QA360 still have a decent enough market presence.

So I encourage TJ to make a batch of DAP's with AD18XX, surely they will sell out the batch of 10! I will buy two if I have to!

Actually I like modular design of DAP, not just modular AMP but modular DAC.
Maybe I will start to developing that when I can make a custom enclosure by myself because I don't want the unit is not efficient in dimension.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #356 of 391
  Satisfy your local market first @tjstyle

I'll keeping my money on your next DAP 

And me, too @tjstyle 
wink_face.gif

I'll do my best for that.
thinking for upcoming creation. I'm on progress to build CnC machine that can be used for making enclosure by myself, So I can manage more precisely of placement for UI (just LED notification or using LCD), button or touchscreen for navigation, port placement, etc.  
For DAC section that I will be used, still not deciding what I will choose.
Continuing to use obsolete R2R DAC chip maybe using Analog Device or Burr Brown Chip, but need to make sure the parts is easily to get.
Or moving to Delta Sigma DAC I will love to use AKM Chip, not interested with ESS chip after ES9023. Last year, I was playing with AK4490 and I'm happy with the result. I would love to use AK4497 but need to wait till that easily available and hope the price will going down.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #360 of 391

Continuing to use obsolete R2R DAC chip maybe using Analog Device or Burr Brown Chip, but need to make sure the parts is easily to get.

Why bother with obsolete AD1862, when, for example, AD1851 & AD1856 are still available?
wink.gif
 Sure, they are not top of the line but with correct implementation you can achieve good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back