Indonesian portable DAP prototype discussion (split from Tera Player thread)
Feb 10, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #361 of 391
Why bother with obsolete AD1862, when, for example, AD1851 & AD1856 are still available?:wink:  Sure, they are not top of the line but with correct implementation you can achieve good results.

Yes, possibly can use AD1856 if can't source AD1862.
I also love PCM1704 but that is also haed to find and more pricey than AD18xx.
But the most important is I want to use those DAC in NOS mode, don't want to use SRC, OS chip or converting from I2S to PCM using logic IC.
Still developing to direct driving the DAC from processor without any converter.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #362 of 391
Count me as on board for purchasing an NOS R2R DAP using AD1862 DAC chips in a custom 3D case, should you succeed in development. 

You might even consider crowdfunding the project, if there are significant costs involved in case design/printing or 'economy of scale' in securing a suitable quantity of AD1862 chips for an sufficient international production run.   

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #364 of 391
  Count me as on board for purchasing an NOS R2R DAP using AD1862 DAC chips in a custom 3D case, should you succeed in development. 

You might even consider crowdfunding the project, if there are significant costs involved in case design/printing or 'economy of scale' in securing a suitable quantity of AD1862 chips for an sufficient international production run.   

Can I be in a first 10, if I will provide you my pair of ad1862 chips? :)

This is will be long development, when finishing P1 batch 1 production I'll start to researching for a new modular big block brick of DAP.
Don't expect that will available soon, I will concern to developing a main board that take care of UI, navigation, timing and PSU.
DAC section will be on another board, so I don't need to developing a new whole board and firmware for every different of DAC.

I'm gonna like to use only full touchscreen navigation since it's really pain to manage a precision when placing and wiring of physical button in the board and enclosure by hand, like what I'm doing now with P1 and also G1.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #366 of 391
A full touchscreen NOS R2R DAP from @tjstyle? Count me in!!!

That said, I'm not sure whether or not the P1 will be ready before my trip to Dublin. What do you think, TJ?

I was promise to you, P1 will be in your hand when go to Dublin.
I also have also have a promise to Indonesian user that will bring P1 to Canjam SG.
that's why I only produce a small quantity for first batch, so that will be ready at end of this month.
and I hope you (also another users) that was got a first batch of P1 is willing to share any review and impression.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #367 of 391
That's fantastic, TJ. If I get it in time, I'll take it along to Dublin with me to really test it out.

Will the firmware functionality basically be the same as G1? Anything different in the user experience or functionality?

I know some guys in Singapore who should be interested in testing it out. If you need a few names, let me know. I can let them know who to look for with P1 at CanJam SGP :)

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #368 of 391
That's fantastic, TJ. If I get it in time, I'll take it along to Dublin with me to really test it out.

Will the firmware functionality basically be the same as G1? Anything different in the user experience or functionality?

I know some guys in Singapore who should be interested in testing it out. If you need a few names, let me know. I can let them know who to look for with P1 at CanJam SGP
smily_headphones1.gif

There will be not much different for navigation with G1, since what I feel the G1 is the simplest navigation for switching tracks / albums. But with some improvement like got to last played track when re-powering the P1 (switchable feature like DAC mode), and also improving random algorithm, also better handling for decoding another filetypes.
Possibly @nino9 will bring a P1 to CanJam SGP.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #369 of 391
There will be not much different for navigation with G1, since what I feel the G1 is the simplest navigation for switching tracks / albums. But with some improvement like got to last played track when re-powering the P1 (switchable feature like DAC mode), and also improving random algorithm, also better handling for decoding another filetypes.
Possibly @nino9
 will bring a P1 to CanJam SGP.

All good news, TJ!

So it'll start with the last song you played when you turn it back on? If so, that's really good to hear. And if I understand correctly this will be optional, relying on the user to hold down a button on startup?

And other filetypes would be good. MP3 and FLAC support would be greatly appreciated. If I can use FLAC, it'll save room on my cards.

Hoping some of these fw improvements come to G1, too :)

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #370 of 391
Yes, possibly can use AD1856 if can't source AD1862.
I also love PCM1704 but that is also haed to find and more pricey than AD18xx.
But the most important is I want to use those DAC in NOS mode, don't want to use SRC, OS chip or converting from I2S to PCM using logic IC.
Still developing to direct driving the DAC from processor without any converter.

You should consider two sided option, because just making it NOS will narrow down potential buyers. 
Most R2R implementations in NOS lack extension in high frequencies. Well, I haven't heard that many but a few came through my hands.

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #371 of 391
All good news, TJ!

So it'll start with the last song you played when you turn it back on? If so, that's really good to hear. And if I understand correctly this will be optional, relying on the user to hold down a button on startup?

And other filetypes would be good. MP3 and FLAC support would be greatly appreciated. If I can use FLAC, it'll save room on my cards.

Hoping some of these fw improvements come to G1, too
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, the default is go to last played, but can be disabled by pressing the button when start up.
All firmware for P1 is also will be implemented to G1, except the last played feature. 
  You should consider two sided option, because just making it NOS will narrow down potential buyers. 
Most R2R implementations in NOS lack extension in high frequencies. Well, I haven't heard that many but a few came through my hands.

Well, probably it's better to wait till my creation is released.
To know about the sound quality, it's all about how I'm handling the analog section after DAC in NOS mode. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #372 of 391

It will be my pleasure. From my side I already booked airplane ticket for the CanJam Singapore 2017.
I also have Teri G1. It will be a pleasure to bring my G1 and P1 demo from @tjstyle to the event. Maybe TJ will lend his A1 demo too.
Locally in Jakarta, Indonesia, there will be a Mook headphone festival before or after the Singapore event.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #375 of 391

Thanks TJ! Looking forward to try it! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back