indigo, $12,000 i-pod dock/dac from chord
May 9, 2009 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
Chord Indigo iPod Dock

Indigo_on%20blk2web.jpg

Indigo%20rearweb.jpg

May 9, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 27
I think it need to be viewed as a highend dac that happens to also have an iPod dock build-in rather than a hugely priced iPod dock.

May 9, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rofl, why not just buy a standalone high end media player?

This one is not 'standalone' enough for you...?
I think it looks great, and since it probably tap digital audio data from the iPod it should be competitive (sound wise) against other high-end media players/DAC's.

May 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

This one is not 'standalone' enough for you...?

Reliant on crappy 120GB storage. So yeah waste of money and stupid purchase. I'd rather have a proper system from the high end makers- kinda like a upmarket Squeezebox with server, or Squeezebox with CPU/Software in the unit, not a stupid dock.

Request have something out not tried it, but it does look pretty good.

May 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 27
Also the new Naim box

May 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 27
yup and all work from crestron remotes, which are very nice. Does that Chord dock come with a touchscreen, large two way RF remote?

It's the same if I were to use my iriver H140 with a dock, still limitations on the unit. Would need remote. Only 38GB storage. If I rip music I need to copy it to the iriver first, and a lossy copy due to partly 38GB. Wheras with SB or similar just rip/encode EAC to flac to your NAS or server, and your music server will automatically find it (SB requires quick rescan which is a annoying) But I hope high end systems would do this dynamically.

May 9, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 27
specs actually look really good. just needs more storage; but of course much more could be had for the money. does take digital input from a modified ipod, also comes with a digital a2dp reciever, which can be hooked up to the modified ipods. so a few interesting technologies. of course you dont have to use ipods as has plenty of I/O, but still $$$$$. with my sources (including my mac) though I can tell you i'd take it over a squeezebox anyday

May 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Reliant on crappy 120GB storage. So yeah waste of money and stupid purchase. I'd rather have a proper system from the high end makers- kinda like a upmarket Squeezebox with server, or Squeezebox with CPU/Software in the unit, not a stupid dock.

Request have something out not tried it, but it does look pretty good.

Quote:

yup and all work from crestron remotes, which are very nice. Does that Chord dock come with a touchscreen, large two way RF remote?

It's the same if I were to use my iriver H140 with a dock, still limitations on the unit. Would need remote. Only 38GB storage. If I rip music I need to copy it to the iriver first, and a lossy copy due to partly 38GB. Wheras with SB or similar just rip/encode EAC to flac to your NAS or server, and your music server will automatically find it (SB requires quick rescan which is a annoying) But I hope high end systems would do this dynamically.

I am pretty sure I will get chastised for posting this but ... do you ever post something nice?
confused.gif
Based on a sample of your post all you do is criticize other peoples ideas, or gear. Your negative posting is sure getting old and stale. As I wrote before, perhaps you should take a happy pill to mellow out.
rolleyes.gif

May 9, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #13 of 27
What's the point of everyone saying everything is great? I'm pointing just how daft the design is. If it had a couple of HD's say 2x1TB, with a ipod dock, and you can copy your ipod music to the internal HD and play from that, with no need for ipod, and it comes with a 2 way touchscreen remote like the Sonos, it'll be a good design. What exactly is the point of using a DAP as a source? Even if you fit 240GB HD into a ipod it's far less than even a basic computer server or NAS. edit with a system of restoring, backing up to/fro from the Ipod, and choosing what type should be on the ipod- say on the HD you have entire collection as 1.6TB lossless, you can copy across 15 albums as lossy mp3/aac. Or copy new albums from ipod lossless to the unit's HD.

Really it's like trying to patch up a diesel to do formula 1 racing. Just buy a F1 car in the first place.

For the same price you could buy Request media box and the server, with change to spare for quality 2 way RF remote.

May 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 27
^ I brought that up with a dealer selling ipod dock systems. A couple of docks have replacable shaped connectors. So if you fit a ipod that's slimmer width wise that's ok. But what about ones that are wider? It'll have to include a addtional block so it's above the curved bit to the sides of that Chord dock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back