Indie Rock... fav bands?
Dec 8, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 25
DarkAngel,

I thought The Rising Tide was considered to be the worst SDRE album. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't listened to it much but why did you choose that one?

Dec 8, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by royboy2k
DarkAngel,
I thought The Rising Tide was considered to be the worst SDRE album. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't listened to it much but why did you choose that one?

Tim told me to (notice his avatar)
No really I just listened to some short samples of various songs from a couple SDRE Cds and "rising tide" seemed the best.

Dec 9, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 25
i still go with my original idea which is to try out the live album first. the sound quality isn't perfection, but seeing sunny day live is like a religious moment and that album does a great job in capturing their intimate way of performing.

the rising tide isn't that great, but it's definitely pretty damn good. i think i'd take it over the pink album, but diary is definitely my favorite (how it feels to be something on / live tied for second place
smily_headphones1.gif
).

i thought of a couple more:

elliott smith - figure 8 AND either/or: i'm listening to figure 8 this morning and i just love elliott smith. either/or has to be one of the best indie albums i've ever heard (all hail kill rock stars!), though his latest effort is damned good too. i just dig his voice and his heartbreakingly wonderful song content. have you ever heard "between the bars" ?

the promise ring - very emergency: damned fine album on jadetree by these guys. they broke up recently, but that doesn't mean their old stuff is still good. i still feel that the best indie bands have all broken up.
biggrin.gif
fun peppy rock with an often very happy attitude. their last release (wood/water) definitely didn't have this feeling to it, but that one's pretty good too.

Dec 9, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

the promise ring - very emergency: damned fine album on jadetree by these guys. they broke up recently, but that doesn't mean their old stuff is still good. i still feel that the best indie bands have all broken up.
biggrin.gif
fun peppy rock with an often very happy attitude. their last release (wood/water) definitely didn't have this feeling to it, but that one's pretty good too.

When did they break up? All I have is Nothing Feels Good. Fun album. But I think the absolute best Jade Tree band has to be Jets To Brazil. I LOVE them. That's how I saw The Promise Ring. They opened once for JTB.

-Ken

Dec 10, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by hazmat
When did they break up? All I have is Nothing Feels Good. Fun album. But I think the absolute best Jade Tree band has to be Jets To Brazil. I LOVE them. That's how I saw The Promise Ring. They opened once for JTB.

late this summer. i guess the lead singer got married and that had something to do with it (?), oh well.

jets to brazil is great to, but of course the best jadetree band is pedro the lion.
biggrin.gif

"air traffic control" is such an awesome song by jets to brazil. i've been meaning to get their latest (double!) album, but just haven't yet. ahh well, in good time. and of course, since it's the godly jadetree, the album is available on vinyl.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
late this summer. i guess the lead singer got married and that had something to do with it (?), oh well.

jets to brazil is great to, but of course the best jadetree band is pedro the lion.
biggrin.gif

"air traffic control" is such an awesome song by jets to brazil. i've been meaning to get their latest (double!) album, but just haven't yet. ahh well, in good time. and of course, since it's the godly jadetree, the album is available on vinyl.
smily_headphones1.gif

I saw Pedro The Lion open for JTB the same show that The Promise Ring did. It was at the Bowery Ballroom in NY. Sorry to say, but Pedro bored the hell out of me.

The new JTB is great, but only the vinyl is a double album. If you don't have Orange Rhyming Dictionary, get it. I love all three albums, but I think that ORD is their best in so many ways.

-Ken

Dec 15, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #23 of 25
yes, yes, yes, SDRE's "diary" is probably one of the best albums of emo/indie history. and rising tide isn't too bad neither. just a few more suggestions:

Drive Like Jehu : s/t
this band knows how to rock. very frantic, energetic early (1991) emo. Kinda sounds like "acrobatic tenement" era ATDI, except with less conventional melodies and a more twisted, cynical sound. so tasty, though. BTW, their follow up CD "Yank crime" is excellent as well, and perhaps even more relentless and uncomprimising than the first.

Hot Water Music : forever and counting
an album easily on par with SDRE's diary. beautifully constructed songs, super sincere and emotionally charged. a bit more rock 'n' roll and a bit less whining than most other emo/indie.

Tie That Binds : slowly sinking under
probably the most depressing emo/indie album i own, which is strange, because their sound is less mineral and more punk rock. great, great album, with excellent guitar and drum playing and really good songs too. i have no idea why these guys didn't get more popular.

This week i listened to Sonic Youth's "daydream nation" for the first time.... amazing!
and relatedly, I just saw a band called Blonde Redhead. really good dreamy indie-pop. somehow intense and peaceful at the same time. plus, the singer danced like Blondie.

Dec 17, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #25 of 25
pedro the lion isn't really an upbeat band, persay. you definitely saw them a few years ago as well, when they were much lighter. most of the songs on their last two albums were more rocking, although the simple and wonderfully monotonous vocals remain the same. i love them, but i agree that they are not for everyone. at least try and hear the track "a mind of her own" though. it's quite wonderful. gotta love a band who's majority of songs are about extremely depressing things.
biggrin.gif

at the drive in gets my award for worst band of all time, but hey, that's just my opinion. hot water music is quite hip too. heavier than the majority of stuff i prefer though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back