Indie Rock... fav bands?
Dec 3, 2002 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

CarterFan41

Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fiers,
Name your favorite indie rock bands! I'll start:

Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Dismemberment Plan, Death Cab for Cutie, Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, Mogwai, GY!BE, Califone, Tortoise, Sunny Day Real Estate...

RL

Dec 3, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 25
How about At The Drive-In, Sparta, and Thursday?

SUNNY DAY REAL ESTATE ROCKS!!!! (notice my avatar
smily_headphones1.gif
)

btw Jeremy Enigk, Will Goldsmith, and Nate Mendel (three of the members of SDRE) have started a new band called 'The Fire Theft' check in out here ---> www.thefiretheft.com

Dec 3, 2002 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 25
I heard Thursday just sounds like ATDI knock-off... haven't heard 'em myself yet, though.

ATDI and Sparta ****ing rock. Pavement's awesome. An album that's overlooked would be Nada Surf's "High / Low." Yes, it is the album with "Popular" on it but it actually is pretty ****in' good!

Death Cab for Cutie is pretty good. I didn't like "We have the Facts..." at first but it grew on me in a big way... like STD's but like good STD's and stuff... yeah.

Built to Spill
smily_headphones1.gif

I cannot, for the life of me, get into Radiohead or Deftones. Maybe you guys can explain it to me...

Dec 3, 2002 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by CarterFan41
Hey Head-Fiers,
Name your favorite indie rock bands! I'll start:

Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Dismemberment Plan, Death Cab for Cutie, Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, Mogwai, GY!BE, Califone, Tortoise, Sunny Day Real Estate...
RL

How about listing group/album with some description of each, that way a better discusssion can be developed.
cool.gif

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 25
at the drive in gets my award for the ****tiest band in existence. oh wait, they don't exist anymore! woo.

some of my favorite albums:

764-hero - weekends of sound: truly great indie album. up records has really released some great stuff. updirect.com should have it. be sure to listen to "you were the long way home" which is my favorite track on the album. i just checked on cdnow.com and the vinyl is only $8. great album with a light indie sound. wish they hadn't broken up.
frown.gif

modest mouse - the lonesome crowded west: my favorite album by my favorite band. i find that few bands capture the mediocrity that modest mouse so proudly does. the mix of genres along with searing vocals found love in my heart. every song on this album is a modest mouse classic, even the very scary "**** luck."
smily_headphones1.gif

karate - the bed is in the ocean: smooth jazz/indie stuff. they're basically an indie band that plays all jazz styled songs. just guitars bass and drums, but comes off so smooth and calm, you'd think you were listening to a jazz band album. great great music to chill to or to go to sleep to. i used to listen to these guys (or portishead) every night before going to bed. this album is my favorite by them, although their first four and definitely *really* good.

sunny day real estate - diary: words cannot express what this album means to me. maybe it's just because i was in love with the girl who showed it to me. the whole indie/emo "genre" really owes a lot to this band and especially, this album. "seven" has to be one of the best tracks i have ever heard. i too am hastely awaiting what "the fire theft" is going to put out, but i'd much rather them just tour and play "pillars" live again. speaking of which, sunny day's live album is a *great* way to get into them. it's basically a greatest hits album performed live. it has a very intimate and soft sound.

pain - midgets with guns: okay, so they're kinda ska-ish, which is saying a lot considering how much i usually hate ska. the term "hysterical" comes to mind when i think of this album. it's just hysterical. first listen i didn't like it much, but it sunk in pretty quickly. i still think "one legged girl" is one of the best songs i have ever heard.

nada surf - proximity effect: i like this album too. haven't listened to it a lot lately, but it's definitely good.

okay, i guess i'm running out of steam now. hope this helped somebody.

Dec 3, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 25
AYWKUBTTOD, Source Tags & Codes
Like to mention this group which has a noise pop/shoe gaze kind of sound combining elements of JAMC (jesus & mary chain) with Sonic Youth...........cool
cool.gif

Source Tags

BRMC
If you like the above selection you also need BRMC (black rebel motorcycle club) self titled debut album. This is more directly influenced by JAMC.
BRMC

Dec 4, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 25
posted by grinch
sunny day real estate - diary: words cannot express what this album means to me. maybe it's just because i was in love with the girl who showed it to me. the whole indie/emo "genre" really owes a lot to this band and especially, this album. "seven" has to be one of the best tracks i have ever heard. i too am hastely awaiting what "the fire theft" is going to put out, but i'd much rather them just tour and play "pillars" live again. speaking of which, sunny day's live album is a *great* way to get into them. it's basically a greatest hits album performed live. it has a very intimate and soft sound.

I have to agree with Grinch on this one. Diary can not easily be described with words. It's the feeling you get when you listen to it (thats hard to describe too).

Sunny Day Real Estate's music has a special place in my heart. You see, I once listened to a lot of punk rock like NOFX, RANCID, Lagwagon, Millenncolin, The Suidcide Machines, and others I can't remember. When I look back to this period of my music preference I wonder If I really enjoyed the music or just listened to it to be cool. Whatever the reason, one day I realised I didn't enjoy listening to it any more. So I proceeded to sell all of my cds. They were soon all gone and I had no music that I could call my own for quite a time. I couldn't tell anyone what bands I liked cause I didn't know. All the music I liked was in the past and I didn't care for it anymore.

A year or two later I (or maybe 5, 10, 14 months. I cant't remember) I bought Sunny Day Real Estate's DIARY. I had heard the song 'Sometimes' about 2 years before this in a friends car. It made such an impression on me that I remembered the band's name ever since then but had not bought any albums, because I was still into the punk stuff. It must have been luck for me to pick up Diary first. I remember standing in Media Play trying to decide what one album out of the 4 they had there to get. Yes luck indead since i was buying music I had hardly heard before, and the Diary album didn't even list the tracks on the back.

The album was magical.

I would get really excited everytime I listened to it. That's something I'd felt before with music. The whole album had a very awsome, almost unreal feel to it. I just couldn't get enough. Another new thing to me was that I loved every single song. I HAD NEVER EXPERIENCED LOVING EVERY SONG ON ONE SINGLE ALBUN BEFORE. IT WAS SOO DAMN COOL!! I found Jeremy Enigk's voice to be very unique and addicting.

It was a great time when the only music I owned was diary.

I now have all of 5 SDRE albums and I love it all. Sunny Day Real Estate is my Favorite band of all time, and always will be.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 25
Forgot to mention Built to Spill! Keep It Like A Secret is an amazing album. Call it sac-relig, but I actually prefer How it Feels to be Something On to Diary. I've listened to Something On many more times than Diary, so that probably has something to do with it... both are awesome, however. Being a drummer, I really appreciate it when an indie rock drummer has chops... like Sunny Day's, Dismemberment Plan's, and Death Cab For Cutie's (to a lesser extent). In response to Dark Angel's post, I'll try to describe some of the bands I mentioned...

Dismemberment Plan - Shifting time signatures, hooks, melodies, awesome.
Death Cab For Cutie - Introspective, hooky, enjoyable, usually melancholy.
Yo La Tengo - Just listen...
Pavement - Classic rock influenced slacker stuff... "spawned 1000 Weezers"
Tortoise - Electronic-ish, high-quality indie jazz-rock... vibes, two bass players, etc.
Califone - Junkyard folk.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - There's already a discussion on here about them..

and yes, And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead is great.

RL

Dec 4, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 25
Hey Carter,

I have heard of all bands you mention, and do own a couple Yo La Tengo and Pavement CDs.

>>>Pavement - Classic rock influenced slacker stuff... "spawned 1000 Weezers"<<<<
Love the sarcasm, keep it coming

Wedding Present
Thought I would mention this group also, I have:
-Seamonsters 1991
-Watusi 1994
These are the two best Weddo Cds to get, lead singer has interesting spoken word style delivery, songs often build slowly in intensity to furious cresendo.......also some sad ballads thrown in for good measure.

Dec 4, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 25
my favorite built to spill album is "there's nothing wrong with love." doug marsch is a very talented guy and i really like a lot of his stuff. still haven't seen them live though.
frown.gif

"car" is another one of those favorite songs of mine.

Dec 4, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 25
I really like The Grannies............They play hard, down and dirty RnR. They ain't smooth and they sing about being drunk and going to Mexico and stuff like that. Good old fashioned bar band. Some of the lyrics are kind of lame but overall they do a good job for a bunch of guys dressed up to look like old women.

Another good band is Hot Buttered Elvis. The cd I have by them covers a wide range of styles. Heavy metal for a few songs, an offbreed of rap for one song, a remake of Tainted Love and a folk song. They have talent if they can decide what style of music they want to play. They're good at metal/hard rock.

Dec 5, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 25
I'll jump in and offer:
Suddenly Tammy!

Good band!

Dec 5, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 25
Hmm, I guess I'll chip in:

Neutral Milk Hotel - Some folky acoustic, some fuzzy guitars. Singer has very unique folky voice.

Microphones - Very non-traditional song structures, with distinct mood and atmoshpere, but some pop/rock influence. I think the songs have been described as "soundscapes." Nice delicate guy and girl vocals. BTW I've only listened to one album ("It Was Hot..."), but I've heard the new album is very similar.

Interpol - Moody rock band from NYC. Haven't listened to them a lot, but they seem to have a good mix of sorta slow rock melodies and harder-edged emotional songs.

Grandaddy - The singer has a voice that perfectly complements his electronic/rock pop songs. See album "The Sophtware Slump," or "Under the Western Freeway."

I guess my real favorites have already been mentioned, but those picks are good too.

Edit: Forgot Grandaddy.

Dec 6, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
my favorite built to spill album is "there's nothing wrong with love." doug marsch is a very talented guy and i really like a lot of his stuff. still haven't seen them live though.
frown.gif

"car" is another one of those favorite songs of mine.

That's my favorite album too but then again, I've only heard that and "Ancient Melodies of the Future" which was mediocre compared to "...Love."

Macha
Their lead singer went to Indonesia and while he was there, bought a bunch of instruments. It's a very cool album... Indoneisan / Eastern Indian instruments used in a very non-Indonesian context.

Dec 8, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 25
OK guys, the damage is done!

After checking some samples I will get:
SDRE (sunny day real estate) - rising tide

also

Amps - pacer
Sounds like a good extension to Pixie collection, almost as good as Breeders "last splash"

Who can tell me about Superchunk? Looking to get "no pocky" or "tossing seeds" what do the experts here say?

BTW Carter, I do have two Yo La Tengo CDs:
-painful
-president/new wave hot dogs combo
also owned "heart beating" but found it a bit too mellow, I need more energy to keep my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back