Indie recommendation please
Dec 11, 2010 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

shalingang

Aka: nnkuma/nnkuma1/gogators
Aka: socialscene/faithmore/leixingzhe
Flipping products from eBay
I generally enjoy most of the music fell in the "Indie" genre. The ones I was listening recently are JJ N2, broken social scene, choir of the young believers, the spinto band, cloud cult, cocorosie,  Owen Pallett and Xiuxiu.

Please, fellow headfiers please recommend music like these. thanks.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 70
My favorite indie band is Wilco. I like everything they've released, but am partial to the albums touched by the late, great, Jay Bennett. Try "Being There," "Summerteeth" and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." All are excellent, but "Summerteeth" has a special place in my heart.

Also, get your feet wet in the Elephant 6 collective. That's a collection of bands (read up on them), but try Neutral Milk Hotel, the Olivia Tremor Control, Elf Power, Beulah, Apples in Stereo, and Of Montreal. You'll find some incredibly good pop records with them. A couple of standouts are "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea," and "Dusk At Cubist Castle." They're classics that aren't as well known as they deserve to be.

Though an older record, try the Kinks' "Village Green Preservation Society." It was recorded in the late 60's, but fits precisely into the modern indie movement. Get a copy - I promise you'll love it. :)

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 70
Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I listened to Wilco for some time, however, so far I only like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Maybe I should listen more.

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 70
YHF is a great album. If you enjoyed it, try Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea." I really think you'd love it. Check out the reviews. I don't know anyone who has heard it and didn't develop an emotional attachment.

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 70
Wow, thanks for the recommendations, in which I have heard Apples in Stereo, and Of Montreal. I will seek to audition the other artists.

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 70
Some stuff I've picked up this year that I really like and think sounds good:

Menomena / Mines
The Black Angels / Phosphene Dream
LCD Soundsystem / This is happening
The Walkmen / Lisbon
Arcade Fire / The Suburbs

Also, agree with Uncle Erik that NMH '...Aeroplane...' should be checked out.  Incredible record.

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 70
hi uncle eric and mike. I have listened to the Nutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, for some reason I still do not develop a likeness to it. However, I spent more time with the Wilco and have to admit these music is growing in me. I found them more enjoyable.

And, mike, the Menomena is fantastic as well as the LCD, they have been good for years. The walk man is very good too. However, I think the Arcade Fire new album is step down from their genius funeral and neo bible.

thanks a lot for the recommendations, I will check out the ones I did not listen.

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 70
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
Deerhunter - Microcastle
Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Andrew Bird - Mysterious Production of Eggs
The Books - Lemon of Pink
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Portishead - Dummy

Those are some of my top favorite albums ever.  I hope there's something new in there for you to enjoy.  If not, I can post some more obscure, yet not as incredible stuff!

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 70

Neutral Milk Hotel (In The Aeroplane Over The Sea)
The Apples in Stereo (Her Wallpaper Reverie, Fun Trick Noisemaker)
The Walkmen (Lisbon)
Arcade Fire (Funeral, Neon Bible, The Suburbs)
Pavement  (Slanted & Enchanted, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)
Andrew Bird (The Mysterious Production of Eggs, Armchair Apocrypha)
My Bloody Valentine (Loveless)
^ Seconded

Also, some of my other all-time favorites are
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
A.C. Newman - The Slow Wonder

I find The Tough Alliance and Air France to be sort of similar to jj, and I enjoy all 3 very much.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #10 of 70
Hi, I have checked out some of the recommendations. I am not sure if I got the right one, but the tor/Sufjan Stevens - Illinoize is superb, a perfect fusion of hippop and indie. And another  Sufjan Stevens album is amazing too. I am waiting for more recommendations. thanks.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 70

Quote:
I generally enjoy most of the music fell in the "Indie" genre. The ones I was listening recently are JJ N2, broken social scene, choir of the young believers, the spinto band, cloud cult, cocorosie,  Owen Pallett and Xiuxiu.

It isn't the SAME as these - but it's definitely indie - and it's the band/album that made me invest in headphones that don't suck!

Menomena 'Mines'

(Edited to add):

Sweet Jesus, if you haven't heard Neutral Milk Hotel 'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea' as recommended by Calexico - please do so immediately!  We'll wait!  (Starts tapping foot).  Seriously, why are you still reading this?  Go!

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 70
He didn't like it but I just seconded it anyways :)
Quote:
Sweet Jesus, if you haven't heard Neutral Milk Hotel 'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea' as recommended by Calexico - please do so immediately!  We'll wait!  (Starts tapping foot).  Seriously, why are you still reading this?  Go!

Quote:
hi uncle eric and mike. I have listened to the Nutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, for some reason I still do not develop a likeness to it. However, I spent more time with the Wilco and have to admit these music is growing in me. I found them more enjoyable.

Tor's Illinoize album is pretty good (although I meant Sufjan Steven's actual album, Come On Feel The Illinoise).  The None Shall Pass and Make You Feel That Way mixes are great.
I also recommend fun.'s album Aim and Ignite.  It isn't as famous but I got it recently and absolutely love it so far!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRLCSxSR39s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT-5NY83OYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufO1G9x7Qxk

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 70

Quote:
Quote:

It isn't the SAME as these - but it's definitely indie - and it's the band/album that made me invest in headphones that don't suck!

Menomena 'Mines'

(Edited to add):

OM! I love Menomena 'Mines'! but I am still trying to enjoy Neutral Milk Hotel, i am not really into it yet. But, since the strong recommendations from all the fellow headfiers I will invest as mush time as possible to listen to it.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #14 of 70
I really enjoy the mountain goats. their recording quality is superb too. the guitar sounds so real and powerful in their record, amazing!    

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 70

OM! I love Menomena 'Mines'! but I am still trying to enjoy Neutral Milk Hotel, i am not really into it yet. But, since the strong recommendations from all the fellow headfiers I will invest as mush time as possible to listen to it.

If you like 'Mines', you'd probably like Knopf's other side project 'Ramona Falls'. It's more intimate and ever so slightly more 'confessional', but still quietly strange.

I'd be remiss to not suggest The Magnetic Fields '69 Love Songs'. It's just....words fail.

As for NMHotel, it requires more than a first blush. 'Oh Comely' and 'King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1' opened up the album for me.

'Oh Comely' has some of the most powerfully honest sexual imagery I've heard in Indie rock:

"Your father made fetuses with flesh-licking ladies, while you and your mother were asleep in the trailer park, thunderous sparks from the dark of the stadium, the music and medicine you needed for comforting, so make all your fat fleshy fingers to moving and pluck all your silly strings, and bend all your notes for me, soft silly music is meaningful magical, the movements were beautiful, all in your ovaries, all of them milking like green fleshy flowers while powerful pistons were sugary sweet machines, smelling of semen all under the garden was all you were needing when you still believed in me..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back