Incredibly distorted low frequencies in left side of Grado Sr225i. HELP!
Apr 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Derp

New Head-Fier
Hello, a few days ago the left side of my headphones produced very odd artifacts in the low frequencies. Instead of the smooth, deep bass I'm used to, it was distorted, glitchy and tubby. NOTE, this is very different from the typical "hair stuck in can" problem. I'm well accustomed to that and this sounds very different. I took apart the headphones and my father tested the continuity on the red and blue wires and the resistance. Everything checked out and was identical to the readings done on the right side. When listening to music the mid and high frequencies are perfect, as usual. Even the high bass is unaffected but on anything lower it suddenly distorts and turns into a tubby flubby mess. It's unbearable. It seems like it isn't a wire problem, what could it be? The driver? How do I fix this??!?!?!

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you tried sucking the driver until it makes a popping sound, try sucking and blow on both sides of the grado can. It could be you need to "re-pop" something in there, no idea what it is that pops, but it fixes it for me.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the speedy reply. I have tried that recently but to no avail. Sometimes after sucking through it I get no sound at all in the left side, and I'm afraid I'm actually damaging the driver.

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Update, after blowing through one side heavily, I can hear the diaphragm "cracking" outward but of course once I stop blowing it just cracks back to it's previous position. Although after doing this a few times most of the buzzing goes away, at one point it was 90% back to the previous, perfect sound. Is it possible the diaphragm is damaged? or is it driver? Could one do a diaphragm replacement? I'd rather not spend a fortune having these fixed.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 8
From what i've experienced it must has something to do with the diagraphm, don't take it from me, but I remember reading something about a blowdryer setting the diagraphm back in place.

Try googling: How to fix grado grattle.

Also do you have a warranty? You can also try calling grado, they are usually very helpful.

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 8
I do not have a warranty as I've had them for 2 years and bought them from an Amazon vendor. I read a bit on blow drying the diaphragm to keep it in place after blowing out the crease but I'm quite sure now that the entire left side driver has simply failed. I can get sound out of it for a few seconds but it is glitchy and very low in power and volume compared to the normally function right side, then the sound completely cuts out. I emailed Grado a second ago and will probabably visit the nearest licensed grado dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back