Incredible mod transformed my e500s... LITERALLY!!
Mar 24, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #46 of 89
the reason that customs are expensive is not the actual molds and the acrylic, but the placement of the drivers in relation to the actual mold

Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah UE told me that the location of the drivers in relation to the chamber is really what sets apart customs from universals. they said their computers calculate the exact location of the drivers and therefore we pay a premium for it.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #47 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the reason that customs are expensive is not the actual molds and the acrylic, but the placement of the drivers in relation to the actual mold

Then...I don't get it, seems like a marketing ******** to me even though I love UE
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #48 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cindyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then...I don't get it, seems like a marketing ******** to me even though I love UE
tongue.gif

well think about it. Where the driver was positioned should have a significant difference on sound quality.

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #49 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well think about it. Where the driver was positioned should have a significant difference on sound quality.

And how exactly? It's the width and the length of the tube that should make any difference, not?

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #50 of 89
Well, im not an expert on this but if you think about it. If you position the drivers farther away from the tube then there might be more resonance within the enclosure and if you put it too close, it might not be optimizing the sound quality within the enclosure.

I think thats why people like custom IEMs more then universal IEMs with custom tips.

If anyone has any more info about this, I'm very interested.

To OP, sorry for going off topic

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #52 of 89
Hi All. I'm Suyama test Product tester.
It is not man who belongs to his company. It is a friend.
When going to his office, the story of "Head-fi" was heard last week.

Suyama and I are surprised.
Suyama said.
The inquiry from foreign countries has increased suddenly.

Because his work was wonderful, it was able to be expected to become it so.

I have Suyama's two works.

Super.fi 5Pro & Super.fi 3 Studio.

Because the method of publishing the image is not understood, not
being shown is regrettable.

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #53 of 89
Would the harder material tighten the bass? A soft mold looses your rigid platform in which to develop a sound wave. Just a thought. How does the harder material influence the isolation properties in loud environments?

Forgot to add, gutsy move. Good job.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #54 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the harder material tighten the bass? A soft mold looses your rigid platform in which to develop a sound wave. Just a thought. How does the harder material influence the isolation properties in loud environments?

Forgot to add, gutsy move. Good job.

Yes, my first thought was that the material may have an impact on the overall sound signature. However, I really wouldn't know, it was merely an educated guess on my part.

In terms of isolation, it is only slightly better than what I was getting with the tri-flange tips.

If isolation is an issue for you, then this mod can certainly improve the sound quality. Otherwise, I'm not sure that you would notice a huge difference in sound from what you get already (except for maybe the improved quality of bass that I've experienced). This, for me is a good thing as I believe the SQ of the E500 is excellent.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #56 of 89
I was told when I put my order down for my ACS T2 dual driver custom IEMs that the soft silicone used allowed for a smoother sound. At least according to ACS, material does matter.

I'm not sure whether this has been pointed out yet (it's rather obvious anyway), but the fact that most custom IEMs are dual bored seem to work wonders on the sound.

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #57 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob, that is an awesome mod! Looks like your friend is getting a lot of interest, too! Hopefully that's a good thing!

Yes, he is getting a lot of interest. Because of that he wanted me to remind people of a couple of things:

1. As discussed, this type of mod will most definitely void your warranty.

2. It is possible to adjust the fit, if need be, after the mod has been done.

3. While he is prepared to give a slight discount to anyone in our community who wants to do this mod, it really isn't very profitable for him to do so, so please don't waste his time if you are not serious about it.

4. He does offer custom mods for a number of other models, both Shure, Ety, and others as Zorotto has pointed out.

5. Please PM me with any questions (or ask them here) so I can take some of the burden in answering all of the emails from him. If I can not answer them, I will direct the question to him.

Rob

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #58 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoWoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
know how the new and improved e500s stack up against the UE-10 Pros as soon as I get them back.

that'll be interesting. i'd also like to hear how both of these compare to the upcoming westone 3.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #59 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that'll be interesting. i'd also like to hear how both of these compare to the upcoming westone 3.

Suyama is testing "2way 3driver". He says that it is a sound that is better than UE10. Will the custom shell of E500s be a similarly good sound?

p.s
I also am waiting for Westone 3.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #60 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All. I'm Suyama test Product tester.
It is not man who belongs to his company. It is a friend.
When going to his office, the story of "Head-fi" was heard last week.

Suyama and I are surprised.
Suyama said.
The inquiry from foreign countries has increased suddenly.

Because his work was wonderful, it was able to be expected to become it so.

I have Suyama's two works.

Super.fi 5Pro & Super.fi 3 Studio.

Because the method of publishing the image is not understood, not
being shown is regrettable.

You can upload the pictures to a website then link it in here. The first poster was using photobucket, you could probably use imageshack or something else. I can host the pictures if you want from my website.

but anyhow, now I may want to to go to japan this summer again. Now is the allmighty debate of the car or the trip or BOTH. time to see how things go.... Can Suyama-san make moulds for E4c btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back