Incredible mod transformed my e500s... LITERALLY!!
Feb 18, 2007 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

rlanger

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, it all started with this thread that I noticed quite some time a go. And, while I was really happy with the fit I was getting from the tri-flanges for my e500s, I thought it might be cool to see what this guy could do.

Before leaving for Japan, I contacted the guy that did the work shown in the other thread to find out if he could do a custom mold for my e500s. He had never done a full mold like the one's shown for the super.fi's, but a custom sleeve would be no problem.

When I got to his shop in Ginza, he showed me some other stuff he had done (full molds for UE products) and said that he would like to try to make a full mold for my e500s, but that there was a risk that he would destroy them and that I would be left with nothing. "What the hell", I said, "No guts, no glory." So I let him take a shot. He had an assistant take impressions right there in the office and we were off to the races!

Also, I never really liked the cable system that came with the e500s, so I asked if that could be replaced. "No problem, I can use a UE10.Pro cable".

Wow, was I glad that I took the risk. The end result was even more than I had expected. What I have now is a unique Full Custom Shure e500 IEM!! But it gets better. To my ears, this mod has resulted in a number of sonic improvements too. Bass is tighter and less boomy, highs have opened up and overall clarity and detail has improved.

CIMG0715Small.jpg

CIMG0717Small.jpg

I think that there are probably a few reasons for the improvements. One, the UE10.Pro cable that he used has to be arguably the best available cable for an IEM (what a treat coming from the Shure cable). Two, he created a dual bore system for the high and low drivers (you can also see the little filters he used). Three, the change in housing material from plastic to acrylic. And four, the improved fit and isolation.

And now for the best part of all. Because he was using me as a guinea pig to see if he could actually customize the e500s, he didn't want to charge me. He only asked that I cover his cost for the cable, which was 3,600 Yen. I couldn't believe it? Thirty bucks U.S.? You're kidding, right? No joke. I actually felt a little bit bad and decided to give him another 10,000 Yen for his kindness and generosity. Still, that's only about US$120 for the whole deal, including impressions. Unbelievable.

His normal charge for doing the custom molds would be 50,000Y, plus the cable. However, he did say that if there was anyone else from Head.fi that was interested in the mod, that he would give them a discount. I don't think that you'll get the same deal that I got though
icon10.gif

PM me if you want contact info. He speaks a little bit of English too.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahdui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW, thats very brave of you i must say.
AS a fellow e500 user, you've gained my ultimate respect
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I guess I did it all in the name of Head.fi trailblazing! There have been others before me who have gone where no Head.fier has gone, and for sure there will be others after me.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 89
Incredible work! But if it really is ¥ 50,000, that's putting it dangerously close to pulling the trigger on other customs for me, though. Of course, I still sent him a message.
icon10.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incredible work! But if it really is ¥ 50,000, that's putting it dangerously close to pulling the trigger on other customs for me, though. Of course, I still sent him a message.
icon10.gif

Yeah, it does put it in the range of other customs, but still less than the UE10.Pro, the other triple driver custom.

I think the advantage for me was that I already knew that I really liked the sound of my e500s. So there was very little risk that I wouldn't like the sound after getting the custom mold work done. If you don't like the sound of your UE10.Pros when you get them, what options do you have? None, really.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it does put it in the range of other customs, but still less than the UE10.Pro, the other triple driver custom.

I don't really care about the number of drivers (shoot, my speakers only have two), but …

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the advantage for me was that I already knew that I really liked the sound of my e500s. So there was very little risk that I wouldn't like the sound after getting the custom mold work done. If you don't like the sound of your UE10.Pros when you get them, what options do you have? None, really.

this is exactly why I'm interested.

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 89
Wow, I am very impressed.

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 89
I noticed that you listen to mostly classical and jazz Morph (as in the cat?). Me too, and this mod has definitely improved my listening experience, especially because of the tighter, less boomy bass.

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incredible! Makes me want to purchase E500s again!!

LOL i love morph!

and yea they look awesome. Someone needs to do a ABx comparison with the other custom IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back