Incredible I feel! MDR V55
Sep 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

drumnbasssoul

New Head-Fier
Now, im no audiophile. I do have an incredible love of music and this has brought on my recent lust of decent audio quality. (plus a job paying a decent wage). My previous headphones include the KAM1500 pro, XB300 and XB500. I have also owned various older items and even had some skullcandy hesh headphones when they first came out. I have also got a few friends into the DJ scene and have had a play with some of their headphones. I used my Skullcandies whilst producing when I was and felt this gave enough of an indication (silly me). I have been looking to upgrade for a while and to upgrade from the XB500 felt like quite a distance. So what I went for in the end wasn't much of a jump up at all with the SONY MDR V55 headphones. Here is what I have to say about them;

Build - Solid construction, metal parts with any plastic being of a high quality. Only downside being the lack of detachable cable which I was looking for as I have a problem with breaking headphone cables xD.
Sound - Here is where it gets important for me. These blow the XB500's out of the water for me, detail I couldn't pick up on the 500's are easy stuff for the V55's. The bass is nice and punchy and extremely tight. I decided to try some other headphones available. I have loads of friends with beats at work and frankly I don't think they sound very good, they cost loads too! I actually can't see how so many use them! I even tried the higher end PRO's and Mixr's which both hurt my ears on the high's. Out of every headphone I tried none of them came close to the V55's and due to me lusting after the headphones for weeks, i went for it.
Comfort - Yeah, not much needs saying here, they are so light that they are really comfy. I mean, compared to my KAM's which are built like a brick S**t house and felt like one too, these are a much welcomed change. I think only the XB300's beat these from what I have experienced.

Now I know my opinion may not count for much, but for under £100 these are a gorgeous headphone. Maybe these are just the expected standard and the likes of the beats have made us see these as a bargain? I will be looking forward to extending my search for an ever better sound, but I will always have a place in my heart for these :wink:

Thanks for reading. :D

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 102
Interesting, you are one of the first to post impressions on this headphone on this site so far. :p These V55 are Sony's latest released DJ headphones and have only been out for a couple of months at best I think. Maybe a new budget killer? hmm 

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 102
They leak a fair bit, as they aren't designed for use in office spaces. They Isolate fairly well but I have yet to wear them in a built up area to see how they cope with that. I usually shop etc in IEM's and just lounge etc or even travel in heads. I might even start DJ'ing when I finish my basic training.

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 102
Are these circumaural/over ear or supraural/on ear? Do your ears fit fully inside?

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 102
Quote:
They leak a fair bit, as they aren't designed for use in office spaces. They Isolate fairly well but I have yet to wear them in a built up area to see how they cope with that. I usually shop etc in IEM's and just lounge etc or even travel in heads. I might even start DJ'ing when I finish my basic training.

well say your in a room listening to some rap at half volume with teh tv on in the room too, would a person about 3 feet away hear them? i know that that is very specifific ahha

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 102
Hmm, maybe? depends though every song is different haha. Listening to some funky jazz on full volume just about pissed the whole room off watching a film, so yeah they leak. Yeah they are just on ear. They could be comfier if not for the DJ setup which I find is always a little less comfortable than studio phones. But i sat there for an hour playing Slender and barely noticed them, due to me wetting myself haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back