Incredible I feel! MDR V55
Sep 2, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #16 of 102
Just a comment I found: 

I own many headphones from Grado,Sennheisers,Beyerdynamic,Akg along with Sony models mdr-zx700,mdr7506's,V500's and these are the best sounding under 100.00 headphones I own. They have great balanced sound and for "DJ" headphones they sound great with all music genres.Great buy. Still trying to obtain storage pouch that sony says is included(mine came with no pouch)which is important to me

Appearently they are very bassheavy and guy was also suprised by the soundstage

Well anywhere I read comments I find people raving about the SQ for the price that has compared multiple headphones so it's a good sign.

Black & White looks nice to me:

They cost only like 65 EUR / $83 on amazon.co.uk so might have to give them a try.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #17 of 102
Quote:
Just a comment I found: 

Appearently they are very bassheavy and guy was also suprised by the soundstage

Well anywhere I read comments I find people raving about the SQ for the price that has compared multiple headphones so it's a good sign.

Black & White looks nice to me:

They cost only like 65 EUR / $83 on amazon.co.uk so might have to give them a try.

i think the black and red look nice, but the white are like $10 cheaper

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #18 of 102
Quote:
i think the black and red look nice, but the white are like $10 cheaper

Yea well on a second thought I don't think having white pads is a good idea due to sweat probably making them yellowish (yuck). White gets so easily dirty, I know from experience with the white colored cable Koss Sparkplug IEMs which is more grey colored than white today.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #19 of 102
Hello everyone,

I am browsing head-fi.org since last few days continuously as I am looking for a new set of headphones, and the reason is: Sony MDR-V55, so after viewing this post, I couldn't stop myself from replying here. I bought these off from Amazon.co.uk for £55 (was on sale) and to be honest these cans are not even worth £30 <_<. I have this exact same model (red/black) and the only thing which I like about them is their good build quality. I am not an audiophile, but I love listening to Trance (specially vocal trance) and club/dance music. Let me tell you the flaws in simple terms :)

Cons:

- They are certainly not bass heavy at all, in fact, if you increase the volume, they produce distortion like the cheap headphones.
- They leak to sound a lot
- Isolation is pretty bad
- Sound quality? Average (if you don't mind the distorted bass)

Pros:
- Good build quality

@OP: my apology for all the negatives but this is how i feel about these headphones, heck my creative fatal1ty (lol) were better in sound :S These headphones should not worth more than US $50

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #20 of 102
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am browsing head-fi.org since last few days continuously as I am looking for a new set of headphones, and the reason is: Sony MDR-V55, so after viewing this post, I couldn't stop myself from replying here. I bought these off from Amazon.co.uk for £55 (was on sale) and to be honest these cans are not even worth £30 <_<. I have this exact same model (red/black) and the only thing which I like about them is their good build quality. I am not an audiophile, but I love listening to Trance (specially vocal trance) and club/dance music. Let me tell you the flaws in simple terms :)

Cons:

- They are certainly not bass heavy at all, in fact, if you increase the volume, they produce distortion like the cheap headphones.
- They leak to sound a lot
- Isolation is pretty bad
- Sound quality? Average (if you don't mind the distorted bass)

Pros:
- Good build quality

@OP: my apology for all the negatives but this is how i feel about these headphones, heck my creative fatal1ty (lol) were better in sound :S These headphones should not worth more than US $50

do they need to be burnt in?

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #21 of 102
Sounds like my experience with M50 outputting heavily distorted bass out of one of my sources but was clean from another source, guessing something similar is happening here.

Also check this review: http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5858/sony-mdr-v55-headphones-review

An important point for us however, is that the V55 remain distortion free as you move through the volume scale, even at uncomfortably high volumes, the bass retains the precision it has lower down the volume scale. If you like bass-heavy tracks, like dance music, then the Sony MDR-V55 may suit you down to the ground.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #22 of 102
This the issue here, I bought these after reading positive reviews about them, I have tried them with my new Sony vaio (ivy bridge) laptop, creative x-fi hd and on iphone. They work fine on iPhone without the distortion but you won't get any bass (not at least the one which you need for the club music) and if you connect them to a amp or a high power source they distort a lot and yes I have burned them for 48hrs but still I don't find them worth the $100 price tag.

If you only want to use them on iPod and you don't like bass then they are alright, unfortunately as a trance and club music fan I don't liked them at all :S they can't even play my favourite DJ ATB tracks correctly <_<

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #23 of 102
Quote:
This the issue here, I bought these after reading positive reviews about them, I have tried them with my new Sony vaio (ivy bridge) laptop, creative x-fi hd and on iphone. They work fine on iPhone without the distortion but you won't get any bass (not at least the one which you need for the club music) and if you connect them to a amp or a high power source they distort a lot and yes I have burned them for 48hrs but still I don't find them worth the $100 price tag.
If you only want to use them on iPod and you don't like bass then they are alright, unfortunately as a trance and club music fan I don't liked them at all :S they can't even play my favourite DJ ATB tracks correctly <_<

Maybe you got a defective pair. Even $20 headphones shouldn't output distorted bass, I'd expect that for $10 or below perhaps.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 102
Bought these last week , they had them on display at Currys and  sat and listened for 30 mins and was impressed.

Strangely my pair sounded pretty different from the store pair. I guess the store pair were burnt in more?

Initially the bass on my pair was a little "PHAT" (deep thumpy loose bass)  but after maybe 10 hrs it was calmer and tighter, i use HD600 in the house and HD439 on the move at the moment and was pretty sure the HD439 was going to be a long term keeper.

The V55 is a very entertaining listen, very different from the HD439.

If the HD439 is a refined , Oxbridge educated willowy Blonde with slightly horsey teeth, the V55 is the estate chav princess who sells her charlie.

Things the HD439 does better than the V55 :

1. Soundstage - V55 is ok for a closed can but the HD439 has a wider presentation.
2. Treble detail - on the HD it is easier to pick the higher registers apart from the mids where on the V55 the mids and treble are more of a composite.

Things the V55 does better :

1. Mids - really nice mids on the V55 , they blend effortlessly into the full frequency response, this is one of the best things about the Sonys, they are smooth from top to bottom, someone said they had harsh treble in a review but i dont hear it.
2. Isolation - much better than the HD.
3. Comfort - this was a surprise as the HD is very comfy but they dont grip very well and can move a lot when walking. The V55 has ideal grip for me.
4. Bass - i love the bass on these , it is a smidge more than i usually like but it is clean and Plan B , Frank Ocean and the like sound MUCH better on the V55.
5 .Build Quality - V55 is solid and hefty in comparison to the HD439.

TIP - Some have said the V55 can creak, mine creak when adjusted to number 4 but shorten them to 3 and its gone.

Overall i am very pleased, i think they are worth the £90 RRP but on amazon right now the V55 is £51 , total bargain imo.

Well done Sony, cant wait for the MDR-1R!

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #25 of 102
And the controversy just keeps continuing on these headphones, it's like you start wondering if there's already fakes circling around due to so mixed opinions haha!

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #26 of 102
I tried a pair of these tonight and while I never kept them as I wasn't ready to commit the money on a 3rd on ear headphone, especially one without a mic and at least one control button. I was surprised at how nice they sounded. The bass was very good on them while not masking the mids and the treble was very clean as well.

I was disappointed in the isolation aspect though ad they were only average as compared to other on ears. But they were built solidly. I actually was curious if I would like that kind of bass and I really did like it. I am now thinking I will buy the MDR-1R so I can get a bit more isolation, comfort, and an iPhone control cable.

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #27 of 102
A few weeks ago, I spent about thirty minutes with them listening to MP3s just from my LG Optimus Elite phone at Bust Buy. They were near the front by the MP3 players, and I had free time.  My first impression was "HEY LOOK $99 HEADPHONES, YEAH!"  I'm always looking for cheap headphones for outside use I guess.
I picked it up and they were very light.  Looked around at the contruction and they felt thin around the headband and metal adjustment slider.  If you bent the metal, it would probably be permanently bent.  The cable was too short for my liking even for portable use.  Maybe a foot longer would have been great.  Not sure how a DJ would even use such a short cable on a set.
Sound wise, the bass had good punch you could feel, but the rest of the spectrum was unfortunetly bland.  It's enough to beat match if you are mixing, but for general listening, I wouldn't bother.

Do I recommend them?  Nope.
Even on sale?  Nope.
Even free shipping?  Nope.
Just  - No

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #29 of 102
Hi all,

First post, long time reader.

I listened to these while in Japan and I thought they sounded quite good. I noticed that they were on sale locally, so I picked up a pair. My initial impressions are:

Pros:
- Look great
- Rugged and well built 
- Quality extended deep bass
- The mids and treble are good as well

Cons:
- There is sibilance in the treble, although not excessive. If I would have noticed this in my initial listen, I may not have purchased them. It is not excessively harsh, I just tend to avoid any headphone with any sibilance.
- Could be more comfortable
- Poor isolation for a DJ headphone

These are not real DJ headphones as the isolation is too poor and the chord is too short, but a portable DJ-style consumer headphone. It has a bright "fun" sound signature with a hump in the bass that is well extended.

I would love to see these cans measured.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #30 of 102
Please forgive, first post.

I own these headphones, I know a little about the burn in process and assumed with the use I had given them they were 'in'. 
But in saying that I found Adele to sound really pitchy and cymbals to be a little static-y if that makes sense?

Lately I've been playing some low and high end through my Walkman  to improve this, is that a good idea?  Can it really do harm? 
After only a few plays the sound field sounds wider and lovely Adele sounds far less pitchy with better pronounced S's.

Oh to fix the creak, I do alot of walking with these, I used a few drops of machine oil I got with my electric razor. Not a single creak or judder sound as I walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back