Incredible I feel! MDR V55
Apr 14, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #61 of 102
Have had the V55 for 3 months after my Pioneer HDJ 500s got stolen. The Pioneers didn't fold but were built a bit better and looked better I thought however the sound is similar from memory with good clarity. The Sony 'phones can creak a little when you're on the move, but you don't hear anything unless it's a quiet passage in the music. They do get a touch uncomfortable around the 60 minute mark for me. The sound was ok driven by my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, accurate but not quite loud enough.The bass was a bit muddy too and was missing weight and punch however this was always an issue with every set of cans or IEMs I've owned, with the exception of the Bassbuds I had for a while before inadvertently donating to a taxi driver late one night. As one reviewer said you can chew on the bass from the Bassbuds. The midrange and treble weren't too bad either imo. Overall better than the CX300 II I thought but I am a bit of a basshead. Anyway recently I added an FiiO E07K Andes amp which fits on my pocket nicely along with my phone and has transformed the sound thru the V55s. Have boosted the bass via the EQ two notches and it is slammin', bordering on thunderous with some tracks, yet pretty tight and well controlled. Mids and highs have improved a bit aswell. Not the last word for "air" around each instrument and can get a bit muddled with full on complex arrangements but I am a very happy camper. Walking the dog has never been so much fun. Still waiting for my Logitech UE 6000s to arrive from Amazon as they were going for a song (excuse the pun) and I couldn't resist. I used to rip tracks from CD to my phone at a very high bitrate but now I just use Spotify Premium at the highest sq setting. Tried Google Play and strangely found it a bit louder so I swapped until a billing snafoo sent me back to Spotify. With the amp I no longer have any issues getting enough volume to say the least.

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #63 of 102
Depends on your source I suppose but I reckon the V55s aren't boomy or bloated at all. Maybe a slight emphasis but otherwise quite accurate. I listen to a wide variety of genres but favour classic rock, pop and hip hop.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #64 of 102
I forgot to mention I had a brief listen to the new V Moda XS when I picked up my FiiO E07k Andes headphone amp recently. Absolutely love the design of the XS, super comfy and the build quality is out of this world. However plugged straight into my Galaxy Note 2 I couldn't discern much difference from the Sony MDR V55. So much so that I had to check the whether the XS 'phones had been run in. They had.

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #66 of 102
~57mm

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #67 of 102
More like 157 mm

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #68 of 102
Aug 17, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #69 of 102
Lol, oops

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #71 of 102
Hello everyone!

I´m new to the forum and want to make my first post about these cans. I bought a pair a few months back but ended up returning them because of horrible sound. Having read countless reviews of the MDR V55´s, I kinda don´t know what to make of my experience. And I wish to stress that I know very little about the science behind it all, and apologize for that.

On both my portable MP3 player and my computer, these headphones sounded tinny, hollow and just lacking in general. No bass at all. I played rap, rnb, death metal, techno, ebm etc. Cranking up the lower frequencies did very little unfortunately.

BUT! When I ran a headphone test on my computer, http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php, the sound appeared GREAT. Very happy about the lower frequency response. Then, switching back to Windows Media Player, it again sounded just about as bad as some generic earplugs that was bundled with and old phone...

I don´t know what to make of this.

My old headphones that worked great with both portable and computer: Impendance (Ohm): 24. MDR V55 is apparently 40. Is this why? And if so, shouldn´t the audio test have sounded as bad as the music, seeing as it was ran on the same computer?

Kind regards,
Branwen

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #72 of 102
  Hello everyone!

I´m new to the forum and want to make my first post about these cans. I bought a pair a few months back but ended up returning them because of horrible sound. Having read countless reviews of the MDR V55´s, I kinda don´t know what to make of my experience. And I wish to stress that I know very little about the science behind it all, and apologize for that.

On both my portable MP3 player and my computer, these headphones sounded tinny, hollow and just lacking in general. No bass at all. I played rap, rnb, death metal, techno, ebm etc. Cranking up the lower frequencies did very little unfortunately.

BUT! When I ran a headphone test on my computer, http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php, the sound appeared GREAT. Very happy about the lower frequency response. Then, switching back to Windows Media Player, it again sounded just about as bad as some generic earplugs that was bundled with and old phone...

My old headphones that worked great with both portable and computer: Impendance (Ohm): 24. MDR V55 is apparently 40. Is this why? And if so, shouldn´t the audio test have sounded as bad as the music, seeing as it was ran on the same computer?

Kind regards,
Branwen

What app were you using to listen to the music? What's the quality of the songs?

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #73 of 102
  Hello everyone!

BUT! When I ran a headphone test on my computer, the sound appeared GREAT. Very happy about the lower frequency response. Then, switching back to Windows Media Player, it again sounded just about as bad as some generic earplugs that was bundled with and old phone...

Kind regards,
Branwen

What's the quality of the songs? What app were you using to listen?

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #75 of 102
If you've listened to V6, V55 is a super downgrade. I was in the opinion that higher numbered models were better than the lower ones. But boy was I wrong.
Compared to V6, the V55
1. Sounds way too bassy and music sounds horrible. No clarity.
2. No comfort level whatsoever
3. Feels cheap (like a $20 headphone if there is any left in that range)
Maybe if they rehauled it with x05 kind of pads, add a metallic headband, changed the cup diameter to an around ear model, decrease the bass, and include a pouch maybe things would change.
But it been out too long for a change like that to happen so hopefully the successor will have some of those features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back