Inception: Film of the Year?
Aug 4, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #121 of 220
see you all at san diego are trapped in a dream in a dream dream... We at ucsb MAKE DREAMS whooooaaaa

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #122 of 220
You UCSB people make dreams within your dreams in which you dream in a dream of a dream inside a dream.

1266382612168.jpg

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #123 of 220
Quote:
Dang, that IMDB score is way too high. I mean the movie was good, but not that good. The high score probably represents the initial fervor/ over-the-top praise towards it.

Quote:
It will go down over time. I remember Iron man started out with crazy ratings like this as well, think Borat had a similar thing going as well, They are at 7.9 and 7.6 now. Not 9.3 and 9.4 like I remember seeing when they came out.

Iron Man and Borat had those ratings when they had only 10-20K ratings though. Inception still has a 9.1/9.2 rating even at 121K votes. I agree it's going to go down, but I doubt that it will be leaving the IMDB All-Time Top 10.

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #126 of 220
Aug 5, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #127 of 220
Aug 6, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #129 of 220

Quote:
Fellow UCSB head-fier =)  I'll be alum in about a month...

cool well I would like to welcome you personally to the land of Isla vista 
beerchug.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #130 of 220

Quote:
I saw this a couple of days ago and thought it was AWESOME
beerchug.gif
Moreso when you read the whole comic where it's taken from. There are so many things done similar to Inception (such as how outside stimulii can affect what happens in your dream, for starters). Here's the comic: The Dream Of A Lifetime!

lol...possibly he took the concept for the movie from it. 

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #131 of 220
I saw it yesterday at the cinema. I'd rate it an 8/10.

Mindboggling plot, need to see it 3 times to understand the story? Umm, no. Pretty straightforward (multiple levels of dreams + limbo) with an open ending.

If you've seen ExistenZ, you've seen Inception. The story is not innovative.

Sure the movie is 'good', but it's not 'great'. The effects are cool, but nothing we've never seen before (I'll admit I really liked the no gravity dream level)

Good movie? Yes. Top 3 movie? No.

8/10

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #132 of 220
Inception and Avatar both great movies. When another "top ten favorite films" thread shows up, and I see either film in the top five, I'll be able to confidently ignore the rest of that person's post. What a time saver!

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #134 of 220
*** PLOT SPOILER WARNING ***

Great fantasy and great Sci Fi writing has to play by the rules: set-up whatever whacky invention or idea you want at the outset, but then you have to stick by it -- accept its consequences in your plot.  It is unfair -- a cheap cop-out -- to change the science in mid-stream.

I don't want to join the argument about the film, but let's look at the major plot hole that is so bad I feel insulted by Nolan.  Either the physics of dream layer n impacts dream layer n+1 or it does not.  Take it or leave it.

If the hotel spins because of the motion of the van, then the fortress hospital in the snow should spin.  Or not.  It doesn't spin.  OK, but then the van hitting the water cannot cause the avalanche!!

Nolan you friggen cheated.  You will not be forgiven. 

This violation means, therefore, that these are not real dream layers, since they don't work right.  Conclusion: it's all DiCaprio's dream, as most people seem to agree, and any director can do that, even a whole season of a major TV soap opera was dismissed as a dream, big deal.

Let's be charitable and say DiCaprio really is an idea thief, the machine exists (does it? look for it at the end of the plane ride ??), people can enter dreams, etc. etc. ... and this is his dream which features these things but gets the workings wrong, as dreams do ... that adds up, but it's cheap and cheesy, and then you can't let the top wobble at the end -- that's unfair.  (Actually, the top is his wife's totem, not his, so in theory it can do whatever DiCaprio wants it to since it is his dream -- this has been pointed out by others).

Nolan had nine years of script writing to avoid this.  Fail.

Tell me I'm wrong.  I want to be wrong.  But the snow didn't spin.

PS: If you want to see what Ellen Page can really do, forget both this and Juno.  See Hard Candy.  Now that's a movie!  Do not, I repeat do not -- under any circumstances -- watch this movie with a date.  In fact -- please trust me -- watch Hard Candy totally alone.  You will not want anyone in the room with you (if you are male).

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #135 of 220
Yeah I have trouble with a few more things in the film.

You know how in the end Ellen Page jumps from the building to wake up from the final dream layer (the sand towers)? Umm, that's not how it works, right? You fall in level n and you wake up from level n+1 and go to level n. The way she's doing it is falling in level n+1 to wake up from it and go back to level n. The only thing she's going to accomplish by falling in the final level is dream-dying and going to limbo... unless she wakes up from it before she hits the ground. Yes, I get that there were explosives in the fortress to wake them up from the sand tower level. It was still pointless to jump in that level.

What was the 'kick' in the plane to wake them from the van level? Timed turbulence? If they had to ride out the sedatives, that means they were stuck in the van level until they woke up. This means they all fell in the water in the van and presumably drowned, again resulting in dream-dying and going to limbo. Or was the van-jump timed with the wearing off of the sedatives? It's all a bit weird.

Also, the limbo part. Remember how they tell you that if you get to limbo you'll essentially be screwed? And yet it's very simple for Leonardo to get him and Japanese Guy out of it. How was that so easy? If it was always this easy, why the warning (they might be stuck for infinity, frying their brains etc.)? How did Leonardo connect with Japanese Guy in limbo? Were all the dreamers always going to end up together in limbo in the version of the person who dream-died first? I don't know, the film doesn't do a good job of explaining limbo, how they connect there, how they wake up from it, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back