Inception: Film of the Year?
Aug 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #106 of 220

Quote:
So you guys are saying that because Inception took itself too seriously, that you couldn't?

BTW, I thought that the original Matrix was extremely thought-provoking. Quite a few books have been written about the philosophical angles of that movie.

I was quite blown away by The Matrix. That film was thought-provoking and oodles of fun. When Morpheus proclaims "He is the one!" it sends a chill up your spine. The Matrix was also ground-breaking cinematically introducing an array of dazzling new special effects - which feel like retreads in "Inception." Yeah, I liked the street folding up upon itself in "Inception." That was good. But what was with the hokey "mirror door" effect on the bridge?. That was like the worst attempt at a special effect in recent cinema that I've seen - they must have hired David Copperfield to create that one. Yes, i did like Nolan's Batman because it was unique. It was unique because it was the first Batman movie to be directed absolutely straight. It felt more like a crime film like Michael Mann's  "Heat" than a Batman movie. That's what made it original. Maybe that's what was working against him with "Inception?" He didn't let his imagination go wild enough?

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #107 of 220
I saw prince of persia...what a movie! amazing....

Im curious about Inception though....

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #108 of 220
How many books will be written about the philosophical angles of Inception? I can't really think of any pertinent topics.

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #109 of 220
I love Chris Nolan's work.  Inception is good but not great.  The ending was hardly unpredictable either.  Good movie though, just not greatest of the year.

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #110 of 220
Aug 4, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #111 of 220

Quote:
I love Chris Nolan's work.  Inception is good but not great.  The ending was hardly unpredictable either.  Good movie though, just not greatest of the year.

what do you think was a better movie so far... Not saying inception was the best, just curios what you thought

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #112 of 220

Quote:
The movie is nothing but an empty shell.  There's nothing there.  Nothing.

You don't know a single thing about any of the characters.  Not what drives them, not how they think, not how they feel.  There's just nothing piled on nothing.  Driving down a street, being shot at, tells you nothing.  It might be visually exciting, but it doesn't amount to anything.

You've seen some of the movies on the AFI list.  How does this compare to something like the Godfather?  When you watch that, you have a pretty good idea of what the characters are thinking, why they do what they do and how they will react to events in the story.  Again, Inception has nothing like this.  The characters are more like icons, not even important.

You make a big point about the lack of well, everything, contributing to the "plot."  Look, the plot is flimsy and nearly non-existent.  Everything dragged out over 150 minutes could be explained in under two.  There just isn't that much that goes on and it's pretty far from intellectual.  It doesn't explore any great themes, gives no insight into life, and there isn't a single character possible to relate to.

What do you get from it?  It was visually interesting and some of the effects were fun to watch.  But did you learn anything?  Get any insight?  Or is it just about the same rush you get from playing a video game?

It's just another cliched, samey-same action/heist flick with a "dream" twist thrown in.  It's a facade, impressive up front and entirely empty and meaningless within.  Unless that's the point of the movie, which it could possibly be.  Too bad the dialog had to be wrenchingly bad and a good hour was wasted on pointless shootemup.

Maybe that's the case, but this was just 150 minutes of loud pointlessness.  There's nothing to take away here.

Exactly.  It's already 2 hours and a half and they brought an amazing amount of creativity to the table. Bring in character development and it'll be a movie like "Love Exposure." 4 hours but one of the best movies I have ever seen even though it's Japanese. Nobody is going to go back to the past and watch your 70's movies. Inception is one of the best movies this year for its creativity to take an idea and transforming it into brilliant camera work and imagery; ability to keep you thinking and trying to connect things; and its ability to make non-philosophers to philosophize.

There's no point in trying to fault Inception. Its execution was astounding and I've seen a crap load of movies from all over the world. It still is a beautiful piece. "Twilight Zone"?
rolleyes.gif
  I wouldn't call that dirt beautiful, intricate, nor artistic. Though Inception is not as beautiful nor as artistic as the more recent "Love Exposure" or "Castaway on the Moon" from Asia that I've seen, but it creates a wonderful balance of beauty(emotional and visual) with intricacy.

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #114 of 220
Most people are talking about this movie everywhere...and i saw the trailer yesterday, it looks so amazing. Great effects and imagination, im making plans to watch it this week. 

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #117 of 220

Quote:
That's actually the thing I am worried about. It doesn't deserve the imdb score...

I know people who laugh at imdb rankings, that should say something too. One of these persons watches a lotttttttt of movies so I am obliged to believe him on this one (that imdb rankings do not portray the truth). But then again I guess every (or atleast many) movie is subjective to one's opinion. 

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #118 of 220
Dang, that IMDB score is way too high. I mean the movie was good, but not that good. The high score probably represents the initial fervor/ over-the-top praise towards it.

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #119 of 220
It will go down over time. I remember Iron man started out with crazy ratings like this as well, think Borat had a similar thing going as well, They are at 7.9 and 7.6 now. Not 9.3 and 9.4 like I remember seeing when they came out.

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #120 of 220

Quote:
Just say the movie and noticed that the building in the movie looks exactly like the library at ucsd :D http://i.imgur.com/XNfeM.jpg

oh weird - this must have been intentional. I wonder who on the production team is a UCSD alumnus....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back