In your opinion: Which is the most famous song of the tracks listed here?
Aug 3, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #17 of 38
First things first: what your local classic rock station is playing is not THE most recognizable music worldwide. Sorry, but it just isn't. My parents grew up in the 60s, and there might be only two songs they recognize on that list. I love all of those songs regardless.

The three most likely candidates are Yesterday (Beatles), Imagine (Lennon), and Satisfaction (Stones). The Beatles and the Stones are the most successful groups from the 60s, which means they influenced the most people (more time since release; baby boomers; also, it was an era when certain groups were more culturally unifying than any groups since) From these, I chose Yesterday. My reasoning is that I know it is the most covered and recorded song in history, which means it has been disseminated in more forms than has any other song in history. This means that musicians in every country, in addition to The Beatles, have recorded their versions. This is a result of the fact that it was originally performed by the most famous and best-selling band in history. Finally, my gut tells me that if you strum the introductory chords, a significant fraction of people will instinctively know the words to the song. That is how I would define popularity.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First things first: what your local classic rock station is playing is not THE most recognizable music worldwide. Sorry, but it just isn't. My parents grew up in the 60s, and there might be only two songs they recognize on that list. I love all of those songs regardless.

The three most likely candidates are Yesterday (Beatles), Imagine (Lennon), and Satisfaction (Stones). The Beatles and the Stones are the most successful groups from the 60s, which means they influenced the most people (more time since release; baby boomers; also, it was an era when certain groups were more culturally unifying than any groups since) From these, I chose Yesterday. My reasoning is that I know it is the most covered and recorded song in history, which means it has been disseminated in more forms than has any other song in history. This means that musicians in every country, in addition to The Beatles, have recorded their versions. This is a result of the fact that it was originally performed by the most famous and best-selling band in history. Finally, my gut tells me that if you strum the introductory chords, a significant fraction of people will instinctively know the words to the song. That is how I would define popularity.

It would be interesting if a group of people did a study where they did a sort of "Jaywalking" bit in a variety of locations around the world (both urban and rural) where they played a bit of each song to see which is more recognizable to the people. I wonder if there would be much variation from country to country.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #19 of 38
I voted for the Eagles - Hotel California. The reason behind this is that prior to Michael Jackson's death, the Eagles Greatest Hits album has sold more records in America than any other album in history. I think it is also number 2 worldwide. So that is my 2 cents worth.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be interesting if a group of people did a study where they did a sort of "Jaywalking" bit in a variety of locations around the world (both urban and rural) where they played a bit of each song to see which is more recognizable to the people. I wonder if there would be much variation from country to country.

I just asked my mom this question, without the choices, and she blurted out "Yesterday." Since mother knows best, the question is officially settled.

I think this would be an interesting study. Among younger people, Smoke on the Water might be the most instantly recognizable. It would be difficult to test the older folks, but I stand by my initial choice overall.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's my litmus test. ALL of my students know We Are the Champions, and I am confident that this is the only song on that list I can say that about. I also thought about worldwide popularity, and that is where We Are the Champions really beats out all other songs. Think of all the soccer stadiums and other sporting events that undoubtedly played that song. I have never heard Yesterday at a sporting event. It's about sheer exposure, and We Are the Champions has the most.

I hear you. But my litmus test is karaoke. Unquestionably Yesterday, around the world. If you want to know which beat rules, definitely the boom-boom-pah of We Are the Champions. But that's like saying Sousa is the most famous composer because of oompah oompah.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #22 of 38
I went with Yesterday. Even if you don't like the Beatles, I'd bet that you've heard the song and could recognize it after the first 20 seconds.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #23 of 38
We should ask the nice folks over at stevehoffman.tv what they think. They will wonder why all the songs in the poll aren't by The Beatles. You could make a case that they are right.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted for the Eagles - Hotel California. The reason behind this is that prior to Michael Jackson's death, the Eagles Greatest Hits album has sold more records in America than any other album in history. I think it is also number 2 worldwide. So that is my 2 cents worth.

Hotel California wasn't even on that album
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #28 of 38
Older generations probably know all of those songs, but today's generation doesn't know anything about the Beatles, much less Deep Purples or John Lennon. I'm 26 and listen to a ton of music, but I honestly don't know Yesterday. I'd probably recognize it if I heard it, but I don't really know the song. I've just never had an interest in the Beatles, so the only time I would hear the song would be if I was inundated by it in pop culture or on the radio, which hasn't been the case.

I voted Sweet Home Alabama because it is still so prevalent in pop culture right now - I really can't imagine a person that didn't know that song. Of course, I'm an American, and I'd expect that song wouldn't be as popular worldwide. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably vote We Are the Champions, for similar reasons and a more worldwide appeal.

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #29 of 38
If you're applying the sports stadium test, then surely Tina Turner's Simply The Best would give most of those a run for their money. As for Yesterday, just because it's played as Muzak in every supermarket on earth, does that REALLY qualify it as the most popular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back