In search of a knife, please help!
Jun 18, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #16 of 31
well, mainly cutting ropes, occasionaly hacking chunks (small chunks) out of the trees and snags, cutting foodstuffs...
occasionally i'll be on dangerous terrain, roped in and i'd like something i could potentially open fast and be ready to handle cutting ropes loose.

i want something that will be ridiculously durable, very multi purpose - catering towards a backpackers purpose - and last me a long time.

and if it looks badass, well that can't be helped
600smile.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
....but what i want is a good assisted opening, reliable, sharp, durable, basically maintance free knife....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
well, mainly cutting ropes, occasionaly hacking chunks (small chunks) out of the trees and snags, cutting foodstuffs...
occasionally i'll be on dangerous terrain, roped in and i'd like something i could potentially open fast and be ready to handle cutting ropes loose.

i want something that will be ridiculously durable, very multi purpose - catering towards a backpackers purpose - and last me a long time....

Maintenance free? Hacking? Reliable? Cutting ropes loose in a hurry? Sounds to me like you need a good little fixed blade. Also, if you seriously see cutting through fibrous things like ropes in a hurry as an important possible task for this knife, consider something serrated or partially serrated -- though a super-sharp plain edge can do the job, too, they're much less apt to do so in a hurry when they're not tip-top sharp, which, for most folks, is more likely the edge condition of their plain edge knife on any given day than not. Also, it sounds like you require a blade with nice belly (curve) for better slicing (makes most food work easier, too).

If fixed blades are out of the question, and 50 bones is your limit, then a sampling of folders to consider in or near your price range include:
  1. Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter. Good belly. 3.5" AUS8A stainless blade (a good stainless steel -- I think it's about a 440B'ish equivalent). 5.9 ounces might be a little heavy for some. It's a lockback (mid-lock), and the recent Cold Steel lockbacks I've used generally have pretty stiff springs. I think it only comes in plain edge, however, so keep it sharp if you want to cut ropes quickly. The pocket clip will have about half-inch or so sticking above your pocket or waistband (depending on where you'll clip it -- I prefer waistband for more secure carry). The grip is Kraton, and so it's grippy (feels like hard rubber) -- I've found Kraton to be very durable for most people. I've had very good luck with Cold Steel knives for actual beaters, and have given Cold Steel knives as gifts to many friends and family over the years. This knife is a very efficient cutter due to its high flat grind. This one retails for $89.99.
  2. Cold Steel Voyager Clip Point. There's a 3" AUS8A clip point blade half-serrated version. Good belly. The serrated portion could come in handy for cutting fibrous, tough stuff like rope. Weighs only 1.8 ounces! Pocket clip leaves about a half-inch or more of knife sticking up above the pocket or waistband. Zytel handle isn't as grippy as Kraton (not many materials used for knife handles are as grippy as Kraton), but the texture makes them grippy enough for most purposes you'd have for a folder. It's a backlock (mid-lock). It's a pretty efficient cutter due to its rather high, flatter grind. The tanto point versions are cool, but have nearly zero belly. This particular one (3" clip point) retails for $59.99, but Cold Steel is having a sale right now on these -- $34.99 during June.
  3. Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. They make a larger one, too. The Mini Griptilians have blades just under 3" made of 440C (a good stainless, more similar to AUS8A than not, but slightly better and more wear-resistant). Reversible pocket clip leaves about a half-inch of small radiused handle tip above pocket or waistband. Another style of this knife can be found by clicking here. Both blade styles have mild belly. Both are available partially serrated. Axis lock (a newer lock style). Zytel handle. Mini Griptilian retails for $85.00 and weighs 2.56 ounces. Larger (3.45" blade) Griptilian retails for $105.00 and weighs 3.25 ounces. Both are pretty efficient cutters due to low-medium grind.
  4. Spyderco Endura or Delica. Endura has a nearly 4" blade. Delica has 3" blade. Both come with blades of VG-10 stainless (a top-notch, excellent stainless steel). Both have blades available in plain edge, half-serrated/half-plain, and fully serrated. Handles are Zytel. Endura weighs 2.9 ounces, and the Delica 1.9 ounces (so both are very light). Both have reversible clips, but I'm not thrilled with the clip's fastener (tends to come loose on the ones I've got) that has more than a half-inch of knife handle sticking up above the pocket or waistband. The Endura retails for $72.95. The Delica retails for $66.95. I like these knives, but they're not my favorites due to their low (very curved cross section) hollow grinds, which many other Spyderco knives share (not the most efficient cross section).
These are just a few recommendations. Each of these companies makes several models that may interest you.

If you can go with a fixed blade, let me know, and I'll recommend a couple of possible candidates for you.

If you like any knives by these companies (and most other manufacturers) priced above your $50.00 limit, contact me via PM and let me know which one, as I can often get most makes and models very inexpensively.

_____

Jun 18, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 31
Sorry, I didn't see the $50 max.
Jude, how are the Columbia River CRKT knives? They are priced around the $50 range.
I just ordered a Microtech mini socom elite for $80, is that a good price?

Jun 18, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindTiger
Sorry, I didn't see the $50 max.
Jude, how are the Columbia River CRKT knives? They are priced around the $50 range.
I just ordered a Microtech mini socom elite for $80, is that a good price?

I gave a CRKT knife to my brother-in-law a few years back. He passed away last year, and it was given back to me. I can't remember the model name (I have the box in the storage room), but I don't think they make this model anymore anyway. Anyway, it's a liner lock with drilled metal handle scales, has a thin blade with a flat grind that starts from the very back edge of the blade, so there's no real spine to speak of (a very thin "V" cross section) -- it's a remarkably efficient cutter. The action is smooth as silk (smoother than even many of my more expensive knives), but I'm not sure how tough it really is, as I haven't beat on this one due to its sentimental value. It seems well built, and, as you've pointed out, it was very affordably priced.

Regarding the Microtech: yeah, that seems like a pretty good price. I don't have any special hook on those, so I couldn't personally get it for you for any less.

_____

Jun 18, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #23 of 31
The Khukri owns them all!
It is simply the most versatile tool of its sort.
I mean no disrespect to any of the knife making companies.
My father owns 7 of these beauties, every single one of them is beautifully made, razor sharp, and absolutely practical.

Jun 18, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 31
I really like my Spyderco knives!

Here's what I have from Spyderco...
--Endura black with plain edge.
--Delica black with plain edge.
--Lady Bug black with plain edge.
--Double Stuff ceramic sharpener, a highly recommended double sided sharpener. It works very, very well!

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #25 of 31
Knife companies come out with so much new stuff sometimes that it's a bit scary. I just found another nice one from Benchmade that looks pretty nice. Check out the Benchmade Monochrome, simple framelock folder with a good useful bladeshape and a decent steel (claims to be a 440C equivalent). MSRP of $50 which means you can probably find it for 10-15 bucks less.

Another one I forgot about is the Camillus EDC which is also a framelock. Blade material is 154CM which is a highend steel (better than 440C, about same as VG-10) that holds an edge for a long time. I own one myself and it works pretty well. My one problem with it is that the handle is a bit too slim for my hands and the blade isn't pointy enough. Otherwise it works great, the blade has a thin flat grind that makes it cut well without binding, and the curve cuts ropes quite nicely.

Jun 18, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 31
Here's a pic of the Endura that I rec'd earlier. One very tough and useful knife. One thing that is "very" nice about the new Endura (and delica) is that the lock bar on the handle has a small divit cut out of it which makes is "much" less likely that it will lose it's lock accidentally:

sp10psbkjb.jpg

Jun 19, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #27 of 31
the spyderco collapsible blades have the little hole which is great when it comes to opening the knife and the little guard divit is perfect at preventing chopped up fingers.
tongue.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #29 of 31
How smooth are the action on the spyderco's? (compared to the axis locks)
I'm looking for a low priced everyday carry, one I wouldn't cry over if lost.
The BM mini griptillians go for around $60 shipped for the OD color. probably less for black. I'm also looking at the new BM mini ambush.
Does the Camillus EDC really come with a 154cm blade? The link says 154cm on the tech specs and 420stainless steel in the description.

Jun 19, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindTiger
How smooth are the action on the spyderco's? (compared to the axis locks)
I'm looking for a low priced everyday carry, one I wouldn't cry over if lost.
The BM mini griptillians go for around $60 shipped for the OD color. probably less for black. I'm also looking at the new BM mini ambush.

There are very few knives that are as smooth as an Axis lock, and none of them (to my knowledge) are in the price range of the Griptilian. Some high-end Spyderco's, Kershaws, and non-axis Benchmades match it for smoothness, but they cost at least twice as much as the Griptilian.

Quote:

Does the Camillus EDC really come with a 154cm blade? The link says 154cm on the tech specs and 420stainless steel in the description.

Yup, they just haven't updated the page yet. All Camillus EDCs made in the last 2 years (IIRC) have 154CM blades. When they first came out they had 420HC blades and there was a limited edition run of 500 with 154CM blades (I own one of them). A year or 2 later they upgraded all of them to 154CM and added the black accented parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back