in praise of etymotic HF5
Dec 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #91 of 145
I tried the Shure Olive foams but the fit on the HF5/3 is VERY tight -- I was afraid I was going to snap the HF5 nozzle removing them to clean them.  The Olives are pretty durable, but eventually they get bloated with wax and water from cleaning them. 

I'm a big fan of the stock 3-flange -- it just takes a while getting your ear used to having them in there.  You might try the milky white larger tips but don't push them in as far -- I think they are more comfortable then the small blue that I have to push in pretty deep.  The milky larger tips get softer (but not bloated) as they absorb a tiny bit of wax and oil.  I think they are an integral part of the full Ety audio experience.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #92 of 145

Quote:
I also prefer silicone buy not at the rape me depth level I get from tri-flanges (great way to get at that wax in the ol canal though LOL).

I think I will shell out the bucks and get the ACS custom tips through an Etymotic approved Audiologist though.

How do you like your Ety's BTW?

I've had my HF2s for a few months now.  They are one of the best bang for the buck for being only 100 bucks.  Mids are just magical and lively while the highs can be a bit much at times.  Otherwise, the highs are lively like the mids with great sparkle and detail to them.  Timbre is great as well overall.  The bass has gorgeous texture, but lacks the body and punch I really need to make them a knock out.

I am going to say that I prefer the sound of the EtyKids, they have more punch and slightly more body in the bass while keeping the mid and high quality intact.  Granted the HF2s do have better quality, but the increase in bass quantity makes me like the EtyKids more.

Quote:
I tried the Shure Olive foams but the fit on the HF5/3 is VERY tight -- I was afraid I was going to snap the HF5 nozzle removing them to clean them.  The Olives are pretty durable, but eventually they get bloated with wax and water from cleaning them. 

I'm a big fan of the stock 3-flange -- it just takes a while getting your ear used to having them in there.  You might try the milky white larger tips but don't push them in as far -- I think they are more comfortable then the small blue that I have to push in pretty deep.  The milky larger tips get softer (but not bloated) as they absorb a tiny bit of wax and oil.  I think they are an integral part of the full Ety audio experience.

My ears are too small for the large triflanges.

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #93 of 145
EtyKids is the MC5 driver, so yeah, there's a slight increase in the bass response, but the musical clarity and cohesiveness of the HF2/5 is much higher than the MC5 / EtyKids.  Maybe you can EQ in some bass to the HF2 and enjoy the better sound.

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #94 of 145

Quote:
EtyKids is the MC5 driver, so yeah, there's a slight increase in the bass response, but the musical clarity and cohesiveness of the HF2/5 is much higher than the MC5 / EtyKids.  Maybe you can EQ in some bass to the HF2 and enjoy the better sound.

FALSE!  EtyKids DO NOT use the MC-series drivers.  MC-series use an 8mm driver while the EtyKids have a 6mm driver rated at 300 ohms and both drivers even have different frequency response.  There is no way, neither the size, impedance, nor frequency response say that the drivers are the same.  Please do your research before saying something like this.

Your assumptions about the EtyKids are really invalid until you've heard them...  And if you have, I'd be nice to see a nice snap shot since they aren't out yet.  EtyKids have the same musical abilities as the HF-series, they actually do sound like Etys, no joke about it.  The HF-series has better timbre, bass texture, treble extension, and micro-detail over the EtyKids.  The only thing the Etykids have over the HF series is more punch and a slight increase in body.  Honestly, if you didn't own both and ABed them, it's difficult to tell them apart outside of the bass changes. 

Just my two cents...

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #95 of 145
^ I didn't state any assumptions about the EtyKids sound because I know Ety would not put out poor quality stuff.  I do stand corrected for saying the "EtyKids driver is the MC5."  Yes, different specs and slightly different driver, BUT the same driver type as the MC5 -- a "neodymium moving coil" driver, which is Ety's dynamic/armiture driver hybrid.  For the EtyKids model, Ety reduced the size of the MC5 driver and raised the impedence to prevent any ear damage from high volume, assuming kids use them with your typical mp3/media player.  Check etymoticresearch.com.

I've had the MC5 and the HF5 (and now the ER4), so I'm familiar with the sonic differences and would take the HF5 + some bass EQ over the MC5 any day of the week.

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #96 of 145

Quote:
^ I didn't state any assumptions about the EtyKids sound because I know Ety would not put out poor quality stuff.  I do stand corrected for saying the "EtyKids driver is the MC5."  Yes, different specs and slightly different driver, BUT the same driver type as the MC5 -- a "neodymium moving coil" driver, which is Ety's dynamic/armiture driver hybrid.  For the EtyKids model, Ety reduced the size of the MC5 driver and raised the impedence to prevent any ear damage from high volume, assuming kids use them with your typical mp3/media player.  Check etymoticresearch.com.

I've had the MC5 and the HF5 (and now the ER4), so I'm familiar with the sonic differences and would take the HF5 + some bass EQ over the MC5 any day of the week.

And I have the EtyKids and HF2...  So I have direct connections between the EtyKids and HF2s :p  Differences between them are minor, and aren't boring like I've read about the MC-series.  They are as lively as the HFs, just slightly less timbre and treble quantity. 

Saying the EtyKids are similar to the MC-series before you've:
  1. Had a chance to even hear the EtyKids
  2. Even let the EtyKids get released
Is foolish and invalid assumptions.  Just because Etymotic didn't get it 100% right the first time with dynamics doesn't mean they won't the second time around, etc.  Give them a listen before you start pointing fingers. 

BTW, I checked Etymoticresearch.com, and the actual IEMs I have in my hands as well. 

Your paragraph(s) can be simply put into a short little statement: if a company makes one type of headphone [dynamic in this case], all their headphones of the same type [all dynamics] will have the same [or similar] sound.  Which isn't entirely true.  It's like saying all UE dynamics will sound similar and all UE BAs will sound similar, which they don't.  Same statement comes here.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #98 of 145
Just wondering about the replaceable filters in the HF3/HF3 (I'm assuming they're the same) - how often do you normally have to replace them? Also, I notice only one extra set comes in the box... are these the same filters as in the ER4 line? It's easier to find those online.

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #99 of 145
You can buy the filters direct from Etymotic on their website.

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #100 of 145
Hmm, I replace mine like 4 times a year... you change them and then it's like, OH wow, that's what they should sound like. Considering how deep they go in your ears you're bound to get some gunk in there eventually. Idk though, people have different earwax so it might differ for you. For example, Asian earwax is kind of dry and flakey -- you should have seen how my girlfriend and family reacted when they first saw my European earwax while we where at a spa. They were ready to send me to a hospital.

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #102 of 145
I sure love my HF5s. Bought them from J&R, the red variety, for $89. HOLY COW.... love at first listen.. and this, coming from Klipsch 4s and Pannasonic HJE-900s. I now have my Pannys, 4s, and a pair of Sennheiser sports canenphones gathering dust because of broken solder connections either at the jack or one of the earpieces. I never wrap them around my Cowon J3. I just hope the Etys are more durable 'cause I sure love the sound.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #103 of 145

Quote:
I sure love my HF5s. Bought them from J&R, the red variety, for $89. HOLY COW.... love at first listen.. and this, coming from Klipsch 4s and Pannasonic HJE-900s. I now have my Pannys, 4s, and a pair of Sennheiser sports canenphones gathering dust because of broken solder connections either at the jack or one of the earpieces. I never wrap them around my Cowon J3. I just hope the Etys are more durable 'cause I sure love the sound.

Etymotics are built like tanks :)  You'll be fine.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #104 of 145
So I contacted the Etymotic (ACS) audiologist in Calgary and they quoted me only $35 to get impressions done!!! Needless to say I am going be the owner of them fancy custom tips VERY SOON.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #105 of 145

Quote:
So I contacted the Etymotic (ACS) audiologist in Calgary and they quoted me only $35 to get impressions done!!! Needless to say I am going be the owner of them fancy custom tips VERY SOON.

Oh nice, congrats on that :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back