in praise of etymotic HF5
Jul 5, 2009 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 145

jlbrach

Headphoneus Supremus
I own the westone 3 and the etymotic er-4p with apuresound cabling and i must say I am super impressed with the HF5's...for 99 dollars which i paid i think these are the biggest steal on the market today...to my ears they sound 95% as good as my er-4ps ...they have the fantastic isolation of etymotics and they do not have the microphonics problems i encounter with the er-4p,they are more efficient and i think the low end is a bit better....they are light and easy to carry around and for 99 bucks i do not worry as much about damaging them etc.....to those who seek a great sounding IEM with superb isolation at a bargain price I cannot recommend these more highly

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbrach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the westone 3 and the etymotic er-4p with apuresound cabling and i must say I am super impressed with the HF5's...for 99 dollars which i paid i think these are the biggest steal on the market today...to my ears they sound 95% as good as my er-4ps ...they have the fantastic isolation of etymotics and they do not have the microphonics problems i encounter with the er-4p,they are more efficient and i think the low end is a bit better....they are light and easy to carry around and for 99 bucks i do not worry as much about damaging them etc.....to those who seek a great sounding IEM with superb isolation at a bargain price I cannot recommend these more highly

Praising them more than the W3s? Just wondered, since you mentioned the Westones. A friend of mine has the HF2s, and he didn't care much for them. But he's not into the hobby.

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 145
i got them on sale at amazon for 99 dollars....i am not saying they are better than w3's which are great....what i am saying is that they combine great sound with great isolation for an incredible price.....

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbrach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got them on sale at amazon for 99 dollars....i am not saying they are better than w3's which are great....what i am saying is that they combine great sound with great isolation for an incredible price.....

Got it. Just curious. I had the ER4P with the S cable a few years back.

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 145
to me the difference between the er-4p and the HF5 is price,efficiency,bass and the lack of microphonics....

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 145
I am not suggesting that the HF5 is better than the er-4p...just more convenient and easier to use..at least for me.....

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 145
westone and etymotic have different sound signatures....the westone sounds bigger...more bass ,more efficient so louder....the etymotics are more precise,more revealing...a completely different sound that is very subjective

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #13 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like a landslide for the HF5s. Any idea what the difference between the HF2 and the HF5 is?

The HF2 is the headset version so the difference is the microphone and the control button. The HF2/HF5 really are great phones and stright out of an iPhone 3G with 320 kb aac files I find very little difference between my HF2 and my ER4-P/S. On better source/amped the ER4 is the clear winner.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 145
Yes olives plus the spacer mod is great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back