in praise of etymotic HF5
Jul 11, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #61 of 145
I hate the HF series, before they came around I could pick up the ER4s for $170, now they are darn near 300$ all because of the "precious" HF5's 
I wish they were never released and the ER4s were still cheap.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #63 of 145
E R 4 S (THATS "S" AFTER "R" BEFORE "T") The er4p's are about $180 (?), they went back down, the ER4S's never did, I'm pissed about it.
there was a thread not too long ago asking if the ER4s were still worth it. multiple people said that even at $300 they would be worth it, then again that was when you could still get the ER4S for $170, now they are over $100 more, all thanks to the HF series.
I'm selling something on ebay , and I'm going to have the money for them, but I remember when I could get them cheap I feel like I'm getting hosed for $100, and the IE8's are looking mighty good.....

Cliff, Keep the Leckerton, that is one beast of an amp, in convenient pocket size.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #64 of 145
I absolutely love my ER4S!  I've been considering checking out the hf line as a take out in public pair, but - I don't think I would want that level of isolation out in public.  I want to hear what's going on around me.  I generally bring iems to work for lunch break, and if I get a page I need to know about it.  I'm very curious how close the HF line comes to the ER4S's, and if they're as quick, clear, and natural sounding then I would absolutely love to have that for the price!

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #65 of 145

Quote:
Blue, red, black, it's still an HF2, it's barely noticable when they are in your ears anyway :p  Good to see the sale extend far :)  (I'll still get the cobalt ones though)

The HF2s do work on the iPad and iPhone right, I read somewhere that they were made for the iPhone specifically, then they expanded and made the HF3.  It's kinda ironic that the HF3 works better with Android than the HF2 :p

It's also good to see a fellow developer on the forums.  What apps have you developed?  BTW, I buy my apps legit, I know how hard they are too make.  I'm a young programmer that has lots to learn (that's what school is for) :p

Well, let's just say I'm definitely not a young programmer :) a few of the better known "apps" that I've developed include Windows 95, OS/2, Win 98, Windows CE for Automotive... And then I left Microsoft and have worked on a number of things for BlackBerry, Android and Windows CE.  Currently working at a shop that does iphone / android / blackberry / midp and other apps for the automotive space. I have lead/ architect / dev manager type roll for our Chrysler owners manual apps, Lexus Enform and others coming out later this year.  After leaving MS, I did a lot of work for my own startup, and other startups before I ended up where I am now, and developed the need to use Headphones, hence landing me here :)

And yes the HF2s work great with the ipad / iphone.  Button provides pause / play track skip functionality, just no volume control

As to the HF3s, the volume control doesn't work with my androids, and I haven't checked, but I'm not sure the button functionality will work with *all* androids.  I know the nexus s specifically made the changes to be compatible with Apple headset hardware

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #67 of 145

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but what is the "spacer mod" ???

I see you found the thread with the answer yourself
wink_face.gif

Possibly the least helpful and silliest post ever.

(As far as I can tell reading the rest of the thread, the spacer mod isn't even needed to use olives with HF5s...)

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #68 of 145

Quote:
I am sure it would. Of course, you get 30-day MBG from Amazon too. But no reason why Ety would not honor this since it from Amazon, even if indirectly (they own Warehousedeals).

You're buying an item marked as used. I doubt that there is a warranty for Ety to "honor" even if the item is effectively new - because in buying you accepted its used status.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #70 of 145
All right who are you and what did you do with DWEAVER!?!?

For those wondering why I'm refering to myself in the third person and holding an interogation I'M NOT!!! Because who who ever the hell I am it's not ME!

I am that guy who owns bass heavy stuff who swore off BA based IEM's AGES AGO because they just didn't float his boat. You know who I'm talking about. the guy who says things like "I prefer dynamics over BA based IEM's because I like to feel some bass in my music".

So why oh why am I sitting entranced with the one IEM I have passed on over and over because they were a single BA based IEM that I knew would never suite me. COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY ENTRANCED!

Hell I commiserated with the guy who bought my SE215's just 6 hours ago about how I did not like triple flange tips and didn't want a super analytical IEM like an Etymotic.

Now I have to admit I have been jonesing since the Black Friday / Cyber Monday crazies which I white knuckle avoided this year (it doesn't help that I was given a hefty unexpected bonus at work!). So I sneek bought a pair of KRK KNS6400 headphones just to take the edge off and have been desperately trying to not go out and buy some big ticket item for a couple hundred bucks. So here I was standing in my local London Drugs Store trying to talk myself out of buying that pair of Shure SHR840 that were just begging me to take home and I decided to take a walk around to get away from their influence and as I walked by a display case I saw they had all their Ety's on sale for 1/2 price, the HF5 regularly $160 on sale for a mere $80 (did I mention I had just sold my SE215 for... you guessed it $80). So I ask about their return policy because I just know I'm going to hate these things and I find I can return them even though they are an IEM. But the sales lady assures me I will love them because they are made by an audiologist and all. To which I simply roll my eyes (what does SHE KNOW! doesn't she know how many IEM's I have OWNED!!!!) She then mentioned something I didn't know. I can get these custom sleeves made simply by registering the IEM with Etymotic. So I cave in and buy these THINGS KNOWING I will be returning them the next day after I prove to myself how much they don't suite me.

So why am I sitting here entranced with these things stuck in my ears??

I started with the triple flanges and did manage to get a good seal while I went about the rest of my shopping. I was listening to Pink Floyd and did it ever sound clear, like nothing i have heard before. The guitars just thrilled me. So I switched up to some Meatloaf and again I was amazed at the detail and transparency. I switched to some opera and was blown away, then some choral pieces, then back to some more rock. Everything just sounded so clean!

After I got home I switched out the tri's for some olive tips and found much more comfort but at the expense of the treble just ever so slightly. So I will play with both types for a few days before I decide which I will use until I get the custom sleaves.

All I can say I HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN THIS MISTAKEN??? I know I have started to lean towards analytical since I got my GR07 but after owning the TF10 and the SM3, two TOP TIER triple BA based IEM's I was convinced that I didn't like this type of sound, but unless I wake up tomorrow with a something NEW SOUNDING hangover and find I don't like these all of a sudden I think they are going to find a place in my arsenal of IEM's if for no other reason than the train ride as these isolate even better than the Shure SE215 and the detail...

For those that got the custom tips. Are they worth all the hassle?

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #71 of 145
Lol, thanks for the interesting read... glad you like them.

Quote:
All right who are you and what did you do with DWEAVER!?!?

For those wondering why I'm refering to myself in the third person and holding an interogation I'M NOT!!! Because who who ever the hell I am it's not ME!

I am that guy who owns bass heavy stuff who swore off BA based IEM's AGES AGO because they just didn't float his boat. You know who I'm talking about. the guy who says things like "I prefer dynamics over BA based IEM's because I like to feel some bass in my music".

So why oh why am I sitting entranced with the one IEM I have passed on over and over because they were a single BA based IEM that I knew would never suite me. COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY ENTRANCED!

Hell I commiserated with the guy who bought my SE215's just 6 hours ago about how I did not like triple flange tips and didn't want a super analytical IEM like an Etymotic.

Now I have to admit I have been jonesing since the Black Friday / Cyber Monday crazies which I white knuckle avoided this year (it doesn't help that I was given a hefty unexpected bonus at work!). So I sneek bought a pair of KRK KNS6400 headphones just to take the edge off and have been desperately trying to not go out and buy some big ticket item for a couple hundred bucks. So here I was standing in my local London Drugs Store trying to talk myself out of buying that pair of Shure SHR840 that were just begging me to take home and I decided to take a walk around to get away from their influence and as I walked by a display case I saw they had all their Ety's on sale for 1/2 price, the HF5 regularly $160 on sale for a mere $80 (did I mention I had just sold my SE215 for... you guessed it $80). So I ask about their return policy because I just know I'm going to hate these things and I find I can return them even though they are an IEM. But the sales lady assures me I will love them because they are made by an audiologist and all. To which I simply roll my eyes (what does SHE KNOW! doesn't she know how many IEM's I have OWNED!!!!) She then mentioned something I didn't know. I can get these custom sleeves made simply by registering the IEM with Etymotic. So I cave in and buy these THINGS KNOWING I will be returning them the next day after I prove to myself how much they don't suite me.

So why am I sitting here entranced with these things stuck in my ears??

I started with the triple flanges and did manage to get a good seal while I went about the rest of my shopping. I was listening to Pink Floyd and did it ever sound clear, like nothing i have heard before. The guitars just thrilled me. So I switched up to some Meatloaf and again I was amazed at the detail and transparency. I switched to some opera and was blown away, then some choral pieces, then back to some more rock. Everything just sounded so clean!

After I got home I switched out the tri's for some olive tips and found much more comfort but at the expense of the treble just ever so slightly. So I will play with both types for a few days before I decide which I will use until I get the custom sleaves.

All I can say I HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN THIS MISTAKEN??? I know I have started to lean towards analytical since I got my GR07 but after owning the TF10 and the SM3, two TOP TIER triple BA based IEM's I was convinced that I didn't like this type of sound, but unless I wake up tomorrow with a something NEW SOUNDING hangover and find I don't like these all of a sudden I think they are going to find a place in my arsenal of IEM's if for no other reason than the train ride as these isolate even better than the Shure SE215 and the detail...

For those that got the custom tips. Are they worth all the hassle?

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #72 of 145
LOL thanks for the comment I thought I would have some fun with my post but I have to say I really am in shock about much I like these. I think these are passed over IEM's by many because hey have been around so long and are only single BA but I really like how they sound and think they show how 1 BA can work when done right.

I rembember a poster in the SM3 thread who did an about face, selling his SM3 and going HF5 only. At the time I certainly didn't get it but now I do.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #73 of 145
dweaver,
Hope that you are right. Order mine yesterday, to replace the senn CX-300 II and I'm writing this wile listening to my LCD - 2 rev1 and hd800. I'm guessing that the ety are closer to the hd800 meanwhile the lcd closer to cx-300 (bass emphasis vs treble)... I'm ab'ing both (I had hd800 for 1.5 years and lcd for 9 months) and as they are so different and both top tier, each one has its pluses. 

so with the due respect is it accurate to say that cx-300 similar to lcd, ety similar to hd800 ?

I'm a bit afraid not liking of ety vs cx300 as for street walking, gym, etc, bass is better than clarity (?)

Hope I'm wrong

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #74 of 145
I think that is somewhat accurate, I think the Ety would be more like a Grado sound though as the HD800 also has a fair amount of bass. Thats not to say the Hf5 has no bass, it's just very controlled and tight. So it will be the opposite of the LCD-2 which is much darker and lush sounding.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #75 of 145
well, my girlfriend pull the trigger on ety for my birthday, I'm hoping that like them as I like the lush sound of my LCD - 2 with ortho bass and lust, but I also like the treble 'oriented'  hd- 800 as well, it depends a lot of the kind of music and above all my mood. unfortunately never heard grado sound.
I think the ety will grow on me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back