In need of some advice for Grado SR80 repair
Dec 22, 2011 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PersianMafia

New Head-Fier
First, I would like to apologize about my username. I made this account in high school, over four years ago.

Now on to the story. I apologize if this is primitive for most of you but I could use some of your advice. So I have had these Grado SR80s for over 4 years now and they've been amazing. Except last month one of the cables detached on one of the headphones. So I take out the soldering gun and re-solder that piece. It's all fine until it ripped again a week later (I didn't support the cable well enough so tension was reaching the actual solder contact point). So tonight I tried re-soldering it again, except this time while I was trying to remove the solder from the headphone, the entire connecting joint pulled off as I tried to remove the molten wire... I have attached an image of the mess below. Now is there any way to salvage this headphone? I'd hate to see it go like this? I tried looking for some form of metallic plate on the left side but nothing is there. Where was that little piece of metal conducting to? Anybody have experience/advice for what my next move should be?

Thank you in advanced for any help whatsoever.

Note the metal plate sitting on the top left.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/img0497large.jpg/

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 3
I would send it to Grado - they have excellent service and do repairs like this often.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 3
That's actually something I never considered. I'm in Canada, so $55 plus 32 for new pads (I need some new ones) and I'm looking at $87 to repair these. Will they provide a new cable seeing as mine has been cut before (and it's also stiff from facial oils rubbing off on the wires). I would only really be willing to do this (it'll add up to almost $100) if they send me the repaired headphones like-new. Anybody have experience with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back