in need of growth
Aug 8, 2009 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

auradud3

100+ Head-Fier
hello everyone, this is my second thread on the same subject, i now have the can rig i have wanted for years, and am looking to expand my musical horizons. i have gigs and gigs of mainstream music, that is fine, but i would love to experience pure talent, pure sound, instrumentals, solo artists, female vocalists, all genres, now that i have the rig that can convey the sound i love, i need to hear new and breathtaking music, sound. since my musical background is mainstream i look to you all who have a more diverse, educated, musical ear. thanks in advance.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 17
Johnny Mathis, open fire two guitars
Dave Grisman Quintet
Melody Gardot
Hot Club of San Francisco
Neil Larsen, Orbit
Emmylou Harris, wrecking ball
Daniel Lanois, belladonna

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 17
for Female vocals, Asha Ali,me favorite track is A toast.

for scary talented gutiarist Mathias Ia Eklund from Freak kitchen

and someone here tipped me of on Spoonbill,my new favorite electronic music
smily_headphones1.gif

all of them can be found on youtube for taste test..:p
good luck

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 17
I am a jazz guy...but if you can get into it, they are very commonly big about recording quality and are very much "not mainstream" here are a couple phenomenal recordings.

Christian McBridge-Live at tonic (the second of the 3 CDs is my favorite "E Jam"is a great track)
Kurt Elling-Live in Chicago "Going to Chicago"
To Diz with Love (various artists)-"mood indigo" and "Confirmation"
Dianne Reeves/Dianna Krall for female vocals
Herbie Hancock-River "the tea-leaf prophecy"
Buddy Guy

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 17
Have you thought about buying a tuner or a turntable?

They're the best ways to find new music. Turntables let you pick up allmsorts of cheap used vinyl - the price of one CD will get you a stack of used records. You'll be able to find all sorts of music you never knew existed. There's a good thread in the Source Forum on finding inexpensive turntables.

Likewise, a tuner with a good antenna (this cannot be overemphasized - the antenna is as important as the tuner - and you can DIY an antenna for a few dollars) will give you great sound and expose you to much on the radio. If you're in a major market, you'll find jazz and classical stations with terrific sound. The best inexpensive tuner is Sony's HD unit. It'll pick up digital sidebands that usually have deeper cuts and much else. Surprisingly, the Sony has superb analog tuning, as well. They usually run $100.

You might also want to pick up the NPR Curious Listener Guides to jazz and classical. They're terrific introductions.

I'd recommend focusing on jazz and classical because a lot more care tends to go into the recordings. You'll be impressed with the sound quality.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you thought about buying a tuner or a turntable?

They're the best ways to find new music. Turntables let you pick up allmsorts of cheap used vinyl - the price of one CD will get you a stack of used records. You'll be able to find all sorts of music you never knew existed. There's a good thread in the Source Forum on finding inexpensive turntables.

Likewise, a tuner with a good antenna (this cannot be overemphasized - the antenna is as important as the tuner - and you can DIY an antenna for a few dollars) will give you great sound and expose you to much on the radio. If you're in a major market, you'll find jazz and classical stations with terrific sound. The best inexpensive tuner is Sony's HD unit. It'll pick up digital sidebands that usually have deeper cuts and much else. Surprisingly, the Sony has superb analog tuning, as well. They usually run $100.

You might also want to pick up the NPR Curious Listener Guides to jazz and classical. They're terrific introductions.

I'd recommend focusing on jazz and classical because a lot more care tends to go into the recordings. You'll be impressed with the sound quality.

hi uncle erik, i did have a turntable, but my arthritis made it more than i could bear, plus having arthritis made me scratch the occasional lp, so i gave up on my entire turntable rig, it was a beauty, wish i could remember the name of the table.

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by auradud3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i cant find the majority of the listed music anywhere? not even my local library has the music in the collections? any help?

All of my suggestions can be found on amazon
confused_face(1).gif

R_burke

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 17
Some artists from a couple of different genres
The Arcade Fire
Grizzly Bear
Pinback
Pink Floyd
The Pixies
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
The Clash
Atmosphere
Eyedea
Aesop Rock
MF DOOM
EL-P
Immortal Technique
Bad Brains
The Dead Kennedys

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 17
Something a little different...
Have you heard Peter Gabriel's soundtrack for "The Last Temptation of Christ"?

Its on of my fave all time albums and it is essential listening on a good rig.
Gabriel's a genius here having constructed a masterpiece-fusion of world influences that is both dark and incredibly emotive.

A must own.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 17
Over The Rhine's Ohio features beautiful female vocals.

Instrumentals... I recommend Chick Corea's My Spanish Heart, Ludovico Einaudi's Divenire, Roberto Cacciapaglia's Quarto Tempo, and Billy Cobham's Spectrum.

Peter Gabriel's Passion (Same album kwitel mentioned), I agree is quite excellent.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioTroll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for scary talented gutiarist Mathias Ia Eklund from Freak kitchen

This. Maybe "Art Metal" would be a good way to get into his music.

Also I highly recommend "Octave of the holy innocents", another Jonas Hellborg collab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back