in-line mic or low profile, need by 12/17
Dec 16, 2010 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

veruvius

New Head-Fier
Every time I think I'm done here, I come crawling back...

My NE-7M's came apart two days ago. I thought I was going to get something cheaper (<$100) because I lose or break all my phones (KSC-35, 2x UM1s, NE-7M), but obviously I still have the bug.

I primarily listen to all manner of music (Norah Jones to the Deftones) through my Blackberry or Clip (will get Clip+ soon). My primary concerns at this point are comfort and isolation or getting something with a mic, so I no longer have to fuddle with my phone to take a call. I'm either the UM1 again or Westone 1 for comfort and isolation while sleeping/motorcycling/general travel, or maybe the Denon AHC-560R, but I recently saw the Munitio teknine and they look sick.

I definitely don't want something too analytical. I remember loving my UM1s, and more importantly, my music collection is at too low of a rate to warrant anything high-end. Basically, I'm looking for advice on choices <$150 that fit either criteria and are detailed and a little warm. I'm biased towards Westone, so I'm thinking the W1 and sacking up and holding the phone to use its mic, but you guys are more up-to-date than I.

Thanks from me, and as always, curses from my wallet. :D

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 4
I have the MUNITIO titanium gold and I love them.  But I wouldn't call them low profile.

I don't ride but I know they are sold at some Harley Dealerships.  I would guess they work depending on the kind of helmet you have. (If you are in a State that makes you wear a full helmet.) 

Noise isolation is great without the ultra ergonomic design of the Westone 1.  I think it's because they are so dense.  They have some weight to them.

On the mic vs no mic I was happy doing the IEM with no mic for a while.  Setting the phone in the cup holder while driving, holding it up to my mouth walking around but after I played around with an inline mic I moved on.  

At least with an iPhone activating the the voice command is a god send.  Hold the button down for 3 seconds and just give voice commands.  Never have to fish it out your pocket etc.  

I'm actually just broke down and ordered the Munitio all Black 9mm with the inline mic.  They are pretty sick looking.  

There is a promo code for 40% off floating around here. (savage)  The company said it would be expiring soon but I tried it today and it still worked.   I was happy with my first set paying full pop so I'm stoked to be getting the all black with mic for less than $110.

On the sleeping with them I wouldn't recommend it.  Unless you are one of those people that doesn't move once they go out.  I toss and turn and they aren't low profile enough for that.

You might consider getting a cheap low profile pair (<$50) and taking advantage of the munitio with mic deal for $110 for a great travel and enjoyment pair.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply, audioslave. I have a full-face Shoei, so no way the Munitio work for riding. I wouldn't even be looking for music out of them, just isolation and ergonomics. Do you have any problem using them over-the-ear? No issue with mic placement doing that?

Anyone have an opinion of the Denon set? I couldn't find anything with a quick search. Most likely I'm going to decide if I want the mic or not and pick between the Munitio and the W1. How do the sound profiles compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back