In-Ear Monitors...
May 19, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #16 of 32
Febs: P2R will not do so well with rechargeable 9v batteries. Your battery life will probably go from 8-10 hours with a standard alkaline down to about 1-2 hours with a rechargeable.

Our higher end PSM600 and PSM700 systems have been known to chew through rechargeables in less than 20 minutes. They also go through the cheapo Walgreen's standard 9v in less than an hour.

I use PSM600 in my band, we usually buy either regular energizer/duracell or the energizer e2 / duracell ultra (or whatever) by the brick (30 or more) so that it's less than a buck a battery. We go to Home Depot or Costco.

Also, for shows we always use new batteries, then we reuse those used batteries from shows at practices. That way we're covered for shows and we have a nice reserve stock of "B-stock" batteries for practice.

May 19, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #17 of 32
I play drums for a band in Columbus Ohio named Sighlo. When I toured with a different band, rikets, I tried to use regular earbuds to save some money. Big mistake!!! I have a pro-tools rig and run In-ears out of an M-box for my click and samples, etc.. I use the Super-Fi brand now. I do not know the exact model number but they work amazingly well. I paid 300 at guitar center for them and they came highly recommended. I play very hard and loud and these things keep most noise out and nothing but click in. They are great. I have them also hooked to a seperate headphone amp (at least I think that is what it is) that has four outputs and further volume control. This allows me to control the volume while I'm 20 or so feet away from the actual computer that one of our techs is running.

www.myspace.com/sighlo

May 26, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #18 of 32
Hm, how well do all find adapting to IEMs? Facelvega mentioned that with IEMs, it's isolated so you can't hear any feedback from FOH/etc... do any of you find this problem?

How is using generic Shure or other e2c-e4c/etc IEMs... any problems (vs custom molds)? Obviously customs are better but for so many people, we definately won't be going in that direction yet.

As for batteries, we always using new batteries too. We have boxes of PROCELL ready to go... and the used ones are great for practices or just giving away. It's not worth losing a feed mid-way through because of a "low battery."

I'm thinking of the Ety 6/6i for on-stage... those things are tiny, and can be buried almost completely out of sight. Point them up and curl the wire around, use a piece of surgical tape and TADAA... nice invisible setup! Hm, any thoughts??
etysmile.gif

May 26, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
Febs: P2R will not do so well with rechargeable 9v batteries. Your battery life will probably go from 8-10 hours with a standard alkaline down to about 1-2 hours with a rechargeable.

I suspected that would be the case. I'm glad I asked before investing in rechargeables and a charger.

I've been buying bricks of 9Vs at BJs or Home Depot. I've been playing some gigs that are only 1.5 hours long, and so for those, I'll check the battery every other gig, but ordinarily I'll change the battery every gig.

May 29, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #21 of 32
I play Bass professionally and I use Futuresonics.

Just about all the MUSICIANS that I play with, in any project, use IEMs of some type. Generic or custom...doesn't matter.
However, I've noticed that many of the SINGERS don't really like to wear them. They start out wearing them, and then usually within the first 30 seconds they take one out. By the end of that song....they are wearing both earpieces around their neck. Never fails.

Sometimes it's a major label artist...sometimes it's an unknown doing a label showcase but, it never fails.
Both.
Then one.
then none.

They ALL complain about the isolation.

Even the ones that wear the UE Hybrids and Ambients.

May 29, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 32
I can't say I'd be surprised... the isolation when singing can change the way you hear yourself, and that could be disastrous if you're hearing a "distorted" version of yourself. But, without monitors, is it really any better?

Maybe they take one out because they think it'll fix the problem... but it doesn't, but having 1-in and 1-out makes it worse... so make it equal by taking the second one out... OH NO I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING... but they're too embaressed to put them back in? uhh...
tongue.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
I got the impression from my friend that "serious" bands in Manhattan and Brooklyn avoided IEM's like the plague because they connoted pop music and fraudulence, but that nevertheless IEM's were making slow headway, partially for the good reason that RedLeader mentions about slow career-ruining deafness brought on by years of wedge usage. Fifteen years in, my friend hasn't switched yet, but he was obviously thinking about it, and I got the impression it was much discussed among musicians in the city.

SOunds like your friend is clueless...

Jun 2, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #26 of 32
I once talked to a fairly famous bass player from Toronto (friend of a friend, you know how it is
tongue.gif
) about IEM's/hearing preservation. He was completely convinced that he doesnt need any hearing protection / use IEM's because their set's are only an hour long and that his ears can 'take it'. However, he has some proffesional grade stuff for practice and/or studio use (he didnt mention anything but construction-grade earmuffs in this conversation, but i assume he had IEM's under them?? HA). I didnt say anything negative because he is 6'2ish and a good 6 years my senior, however, I suspect much damage can be done to ones ears, even within an hour.

Oh, you silly rock stars.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #27 of 32
I've played in quite a few projects/bands over the years and it always AMAZES me that some of these guys insist on going out there night after night with no hearing protection.
FACT: if you expose yourself to dangerously loud sounds every night, you're gonna lose some of your hearing.
All these guys stand two feet away from the drum kit, with their blaring monitors in their face, and their stage volumes PINNED.
Funnily enough, THEY are always the ones saying "I can't hear anything" and "it sounds like **** up there"

All those sounds and freqs are competing for the same "space" on stage and in the ear.

I've been wearing earplugs since my very first band in my parents basement back in 1980. I've NEVER heard live music without my plugs in. Ever.
When IEMs first came along, I was right there.
I had a pair of Sony Earbuds fitted with a custom mold (mould?) and a wired beltpack. It took me about, 10 mins to get the ideal levels. As a bass player, it was a revelation! Finally I could hear some detail!!

I am still telling some people I play with "ya gotta make the switch and ya gotta stick with it" but, the old skoolers are afraid to change.
They are stuck in the silent era and are afraid of "talkies".

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by memoriesaflame
I once talked to a fairly famous bass player from Toronto (friend of a friend, you know how it is
tongue.gif
) about IEM's/hearing preservation. He was completely convinced that he doesnt need any hearing protection / use IEM's because their set's are only an hour long and that his ears can 'take it'. However, he has some proffesional grade stuff for practice and/or studio use (he didnt mention anything but construction-grade earmuffs in this conversation, but i assume he had IEM's under them?? HA). I didnt say anything negative because he is 6'2ish and a good 6 years my senior, however, I suspect much damage can be done to ones ears, even within an hour.

The OSHA guidelines specify a maximum of 1/2 hour per day exposure to 110dB, and a maximum of 1/4 hour per day of exposure to 115dB. While I obviously can't say what volume this guy was subjected to, I've measured my band's onstage volume at 112dB, so a one-hour set may very well put him in the danger zone.

Jun 2, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #29 of 32
These are the guidelines we usually give to people:
It is generally acknowledged in hearing healthcare circles that the average person can be exposed to about 85dB for eight hours per day with little or no risk to their hearing. Your safe exposure time is cut in half for every 5dB increase in volume. If the volume goes up to 90dB, the safe exposure time is four hours. At 95dB, it is two hours. Some bands can be well in excess of 105 or even 110dB. This means that safe exposure time is now counted in minutes instead of hours -- 105dB is 30 minutes, while 110dB reduces safe exposure time down to 15 minutes.

I've been at shows where it hit 115dB, so that is only 7 1/2 minutes before damage can occur. One band admitted (before going to IEM's) they were running 120-125dB on stage.

Ohyeah.... I use either the Shure PSM600 or the Sennheiser EW300 G2, depending on who I'm playing with and my ES2's.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried

Our higher end PSM600 and PSM700 systems have been known to chew through rechargeables in less than 20 minutes. They also go through the cheapo Walgreen's standard 9v in less than an hour.

I use PSM600 in my band, we usually buy either regular energizer/duracell or the energizer e2 / duracell ultra (or whatever) by the brick (30 or more) so that it's less than a buck a battery. We go to Home Depot or Costco.

Also, for shows we always use new batteries, then we reuse those used batteries from shows at practices. That way we're covered for shows and we have a nice reserve stock of "B-stock" batteries for practice.

I have a PSM200 and I just put in a fresh 9V last night and after 1 hour it was dead in the middle of the set (90 mins). I think there is something wrong with the bodypack. Do you know if it makes a difference how loud you have the receiver? I should get atleast 2 hours out of a battery right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back