In-Ear Monitors...
May 17, 2006 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Okigire

New Head-Fier
If the purpose you use IEMs for is for listening to music -- this thread is NOT for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

In-Ear MONITORS... the keyword here is monitors. On stage, what do your performers use? What works best for you? ...what do you do, and what do you use (equipment/surgical tape/etc)? ...and of course, WHY??
etysmile.gif

I'm assuming only performers will use IEMs, since I'd hope you have full-sized cans or speakers for mixing FOH, recording, post-production, etc. But if you use IEMs to mix FOH or something else, I'd love to hear it! (Admit it, then ask yourself why are you using any sort of cans for mixing live stuff?!)
wink.gif

(edit) Even if you use wedge monitors, feel free to comment on IEM use!

May 17, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 32
there's a thread in this forum solely devoted to posting pictures of japanese pop stars on stage with their respective IEMs. I can't find the thread but I do remember seeing a lot of UE10pros.

May 17, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 32
Yeah, I saw that JPop thread but wondered what people are actually doing. It's cool to pick out details that people would otherwise not care about!

For reasons of performance - what are the advantages of each? What "generic" ones are out there that are used?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 32
By no means do most musicians use IEM's on stage; most pop acts and stadium groups do, but on the less-commodified end of music, there are plenty of bands that don't.

I heard the leader of a well-known rock band scoff at some friends of his who had started to use IEM's when they performed: they felt that their shows had started going really badly, because they couldn't hear if people were clapping and cheering. To fix this, their sound technician had to mic the audience and feed it into the mix. Now that I think of it, this is kind of a sublime headphone anecdote.

May 19, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 32
Sorry, by performers I meant musicians, singers, actors, and everybody else that performs on stage.

I can totally see that though.. you don't get the same feedback as you do with open-air wedges. Did they end up staying with their IEMs?

May 19, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 32
Being a drummer who moves around alot and plays heavy music, iems are pretty much a must. Full size cans don't stay on all that well while I'm wailing away, and trying to use a wedge pretty much guarantees deafness in a few years. Had the er6i, and I've moved to the UM1. I think they ety was probably slightly better for the whole playing drums with them thing, but the westones do just fine, and I like them better for music anyways.

May 19, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Okigire
Sorry, by performers I meant musicians, singers, actors, and everybody else that performs on stage.

I can totally see that though.. you don't get the same feedback as you do with open-air wedges. Did they end up staying with their IEMs?

I got the impression from my friend that "serious" bands in Manhattan and Brooklyn avoided IEM's like the plague because they connoted pop music and fraudulence, but that nevertheless IEM's were making slow headway, partially for the good reason that RedLeader mentions about slow career-ruining deafness brought on by years of wedge usage. Fifteen years in, my friend hasn't switched yet, but he was obviously thinking about it, and I got the impression it was much discussed among musicians in the city.

May 19, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 32
i used to use stage monitors till about a year and a half back when i switched to IEMs. started off with Shure and now am stuck to the UM2 for good (my custom molds for my UM2 should be in next week). well, unless of course i start working and then make my dream IEMs - the UE10.

i am a drummer so the IEMs really help me to hear everyone else and myself more clearly without having to turn the volume up so high. keeps my hearing intact. only thing is that i wish i'd had a ButtKicker to feel the low end from the bass guitar and the kick drum.

May 19, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 32
I use a Shure PSM200 wireless system with E4s.

The transmitter unit has 2 inputs. My guitar goes into one input, and a feed from the board goes into the other. Depending on the venue, my sound guys will either give me a custom mix or the house mix in that feed from the board. This setup allows me to adjust the level of my guitar independently of the level of the rest of the band. This setup usually allows me to hear my own vocals quite well, but I sometimes have trouble getting the guys on the board to give me enough of the bass.

Shure makes a 4 channel mixer that complements its in-ear monitor line. I plan to pick up one of these in the near future. That will allow me to put my vocal mic, the bass, and my guitar through the mixer and mix each of those independent of the rest of the band.

I absolutely love using the IEMs instead of floor monitors. In addition to the obvious benefit of allowing me to monitor at lower volumes, they allow me to hear my vocals better, which helps me to stay in tune.

May 19, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs

I absolutely love using the IEMs instead of floor monitors. In addition to the obvious benefit of allowing me to monitor at lower volumes, they allow me to hear my vocals better, which helps me to stay in tune.

I use Shure E4's as well. Great clarity and less of the venue acoustic at lower than life volume. It also enables me to sing in tune more easily because I can always hear myself clearly wherever I am on stage.

Ian

May 19, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs

That's awesome - I developed both of those products!

You mentioned the P4M: it's basically a 4-channel extension for the transmitter (six if you count the stereo aux input on the back panel). If you get it, I hope it works out for you.

If stage ambience is a concern for you, have you heard of the AP200 kit?

May 19, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
That's awesome - I developed both of those products!

This what I love about Head-Fi! I think that it is very cool that I can post about a product and get a response directly from someone involved in making the product.

Sugarfried, do you know how the receiver for the PSM 200 will perform with rechargeable 9V batteries?

May 19, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 32
I use Sensaphonics 2xs

I use them when I control the lighting at clubs/concerts as monitors. its important for me to hear everything off the musical track when doing the controlling cause I need to hear certain cue points in the song when to switch the program for the lighting. This is probably the most important part of my job when I am running or controlling the lighting in a live event! I 100% must have full music in my ears at all times, I need to be able to block out the noise of the crowd..If I use something else with the seal breaking in my ear I could miss an important cue..

I also can not wear headphones in clubs cause then everyone thinks i am the dj then..and that's just an insult..haha

well I told everyone here I use them for music play back..I just didn't tell anyone where the money came from to buy the sensas..lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back