In dire need of real advice!
Feb 13, 2019 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

felixcat

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow members,

I was on a quest to find a good pair of bluetooth over-ear headphones that suited my needs. Seems this was a bit of a challenge. First of all, I purchased following devices:

- JBL E55BT => returned due to lacking SQ and overpowering bass
- Sennheiser HD 4.50BTNC => can't explain why but i really wasn't happy with the SQ on these. ANC was pretty effective though!

After these 2 letdowns I decided to step up the price, and purchase the Audio-Technica ATH-m50xbt. To me, these sound and feel amazing. But for me, there are too many issues with the bluetooth connection, and my head seems to be too small for the headband to fit snug on my head. Sudden movements will knock it off, and looking down at my desk, I can feel it sliding as well. I feel like I should be returning them as well, but have no clue what I could buy to replace these..

TLDR: I'm in dire need of a pair of bluetooth over-ear headphones, for home/officice/on the go use, price ranging anywhere from 0 to 300$

Cheers!

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 14
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4.
Bluetooth wireless + micro-usb + 3.5mm jack.
19hours of battery life
great build quality + comfort.
300 - 350$

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the reply! How are they in terms of sound quality?
they're quite good to be honest, if i didnt have a pair of H6(Gen2) i would of bought them. the H6s are a bit more detailed but also more expensive and not wireless/bluetooth.
but when i make the shift to wireless i'll grab a pair of H4 because i personally liked their musical and fun sound. also, they're dam comfortable. the pads are soft and enjoyable. headband feels good and the headphones have a comfortable weight to them.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 14

heres a fair review of the headphones.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 14
Feb 13, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 14
A great recommendation!

I also recommend the Sony WH1000XM3

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Noise-C...pons&keywords=sony+bluetooth+headphones&psc=1

They fall on sale from time to time and are widely considered as some of the best Bluetooth cans you can get for the $.
it is great, however i would note that the sony WH1000XM3's usually are made from more plastic components and people have complained that they crack easily around the joints connecting to the cups.
as much as i like sony and their products, its unfortunate to hear of that issue happening to people.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 14
it is great, however i would note that the sony WH1000XM3's usually are made from more plastic components and people have complained that they crack easily around the joints connecting to the cups.
as much as i like sony and their products, its unfortunate to hear of that issue happening to people.

Hey,

I ordered the B&O H4's for €214 ^^ they where on sale on a local hi-fi site in my country. I also thought of the WH1000XM3's, but i've seen reports of the touch aspect being glitchy and upright unusable in colder area's of the world. Even up and around 0°Celcius, which pretty much is a standard temperature in winters here.

The B&O's should be delivered tomorrow, I'll let you know how I feel!

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 14
Hey,

I ordered the B&O H4's for €214 ^^ they where on sale on a local hi-fi site in my country. I also thought of the WH1000XM3's, but i've seen reports of the touch aspect being glitchy and upright unusable in colder area's of the world. Even up and around 0°Celcius, which pretty much is a standard temperature in winters here.

The B&O's should be delivered tomorrow, I'll let you know how I feel!
I live in Canada and it gets cold cold lol, like we get sometimes -40°Celcius. and i'll tell you under thoes colds sometimes the earpads will get stiff and a bit firm. but because they're 100% real lambskin leather, when you wear them after a few minutes they become soft again because of your skin temperature :)

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 14
I live in Canada and it gets cold cold lol, like we get sometimes -40°Celcius. and i'll tell you under thoes colds sometimes the earpads will get stiff and a bit firm. but because they're 100% real lambskin leather, when you wear them after a few minutes they become soft again because of your skin temperature :)

I just got the B&O's today.. and I tried them instantly. I must say, the SQ is less impressive than the Audio-Technica's. Now I don't know what to do lol.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #11 of 14
I just got the B&O's today.. and I tried them instantly. I must say, the SQ is less impressive than the Audio-Technica's. Now I don't know what to do lol.
you can adjust the sound signature with the app on your phone. maybe that may help.
I'm a fan of the B&O sound signature. its a fun sounding headphone.

for critial listening i use my DT1990 pros, my B&Os are for outside use, i dont really use them at home as i have better headphones for that with a proper sound system.

i've found audio technicas more screechy than fun sounding. more tinny.

the H4s are built better, and way more comfortable. as for the sound it takes some time getting used to it, i was the same way the first couple days. but then bam, i love it now hahaha.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 14
Hi there,
I don't have experience with any of those headphones, but my recommendation is to give them time, at least a day or two, preferably a week or more. Don't judge too quickly! Allow your hearing to adjust to them fully-- people call this "brain burn-in." During this time, listen to your new 'phones exclusively and try not to compare them to other headphones. I might even suggest not applying any EQ during that time. Let the headphones stand on their own. Don't listen for imperfections or try to find all the things they might be doing right, just relax and listen to the music, see how they make you feel then. If, after all of that, they're still not satisfying, then maybe you can safely say they're not as good as the Audio-Technica.

Anyway, best of luck!

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 14
you can adjust the sound signature with the app on your phone. maybe that may help.
I'm a fan of the B&O sound signature. its a fun sounding headphone.

for critial listening i use my DT1990 pros, my B&Os are for outside use, i dont really use them at home as i have better headphones for that with a proper sound system.

i've found audio technicas more screechy than fun sounding. more tinny.

the H4s are built better, and way more comfortable. as for the sound it takes some time getting used to it, i was the same way the first couple days. but then bam, i love it now hahaha.
Hi Tsukuyomi, I myself is looking for a warm, fun and dynamic sounding bluetooth headphones. Are you using more MP3s or FLAC more? Some of these higher end headphones are very dependent the file type.
For example, I tested the Sennheiser Momentum wired there is a big difference when playing FLAC and MP3. The sound just pops with FLAC (obviously).

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 14
I only use FLAC format when i can, but on extremely rare occasions do i use an mp3, maybe if the album isnt available in a FLAC format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back