In Depth Sennheiser HD650 Review
May 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mackat

Has made 3,500 posts, so he says anyway.
This Review Was conducted with a MacBook white 2.2 GHz 4GB Ram, using iTunes 192+kbps files, and a Fiio E7/E9 combo, on low gain, not much more that 9'o clock on volume, with a few exeptions.

These HD650's were purchased in April of 2007, but I aquired them from zlobby not much more than a month ago. I hope you enjoy my review.

These have been the most perfect headphones that I have encountered through my year or so in this hobby. I have tried much more expensive ones, but only for a moment, so I will not comment on them. They have a non-fatiguing sound signature, but I wouldn't call it dark. They sound best with Pop, Jazz, and Acoustic music with prominent vocals, especially female ones.

Okay, now to the real tests:

#1-Soon We'll Be Found by Sia, volume around 10
Drums and instruments towards the beginning of the song are crystal clear, with a very good and good amount of punch. Vocals very pretty, very clear also. Once the chorus comes in, it muddies it up slightly, but not extremely noticeable. This song also has very good dynamics, because it has no loudness war on the CD I have.

#2-Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland, volume 8:45
Guitar is very clear and and crisp, and sounds perfect. When the chorus comes in, it gets noticeably more muddy, because of mastering, but still sounds very good.

#3-Scheiße by Lady Gaga, volume varies
Intro in German is very prominent any distinctive, the rest of the song is also very pretty with these headphones. It keeps up pace with the song very nicely, and sounds like it was meant for these headphones.

#4-Make Up Your Mind by Basstown*, volume almost 9
Intro drum and guitar very crisp, as usual, bass is very tight, not muddy at all, and keeps that way throughout the song. Vocals are very smooth and clear. Perfect song, great band, and made for these headphones.

#5-Si Te Vas by Shakira, volume 9
Intro very quiet, but when it picks up, it is very defined and crisp. Treble and miss very smooth, and keeps up pace. When chorus appears, it does get muddied up enough to get annoying. Still much better than other headphones I've tried, though.

#6-White Sky by Vampire Weekend, volume 8:30
Very prominent clicks in your ear, which shows the soundstage very well. Once the vocals start in, is is as smooth a butter, but still tight bass, great miss, and tinkling, non-piercing treble. Exactly how this song should sound, IMO.

#7-Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson Volume 9
Intro breathing very prominent, I have the first pressing. Beat is very fast paced and tight, and the vocals are choppy and stuttered. This headphone pairs amazingly with this song, and it sounds like I would think it should.

#8-Worrisome Heart by Melody Gardot, Vol 8:15
Piano very pretty and distinctive. Guitar and drums are very clear and tight, and the treble is not tinny at all. The vocals are amazing. They are clear with both the bass and the treble coming in at the exact same perfectness.
BONUS #9-Cosmic Love by Flo+ the Machine vol 9
Very muddy non-distinct vocals at first. Then the sparkly instrument, which is perfect and tinkly. The background drums are perfectly amazing with their tightness and clarity, and the vocals are as clear as a sunny day at Disneyland.

Overall, this DAC/Amp/Headphone pairing is an excellent high end midrange setup. I highly recommend it.

Song ranking:
Soon We'll Be Found for   #1 for it's unmistakably unique mix of clarity, smooth vocals and tight bass
White Sky, and Smooth Criminal tie for #2 for their smooth punchiness.

Worrisome Heart and Make Up Your Mind for #3, for the Jazzy darkness they provide.

Stuck Like Glue and Cosmic Love for #4, because of the pretty guitar and drums, respectively.

Si Te Vas and Scheiße tie for #5, because of how they just sound darned great!

I hope you enjoyed my review@ Pictures w/in the week.

MacKat

May 24, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 17
Interesting review, mackat! Looking forward to the pictures 
wink_face.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 24, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 17
I guess the moral of this review is they are tight and clear....... unlike the review font. A for effort though.

May 24, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for the review.
Too bad I don't listen to any of your song so I don't understand the review at all.
tongue.gif

I'd prefer a review describing how is the high, mid, bass of the headphone.

May 24, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the review.
Too bad I don't listen to any of your song so I don't understand the review at all.
tongue.gif

I'd prefer a review describing how is the high, mid, bass of the headphone.

much as i'd hate to tell others how they should write (esp thankless reviews
tongue.gif
), i'd have to agree with the above quote post. a sound quality type format would def be easier to understand than a specific music type format.

luckily im a HD650 owner so i 'get' your love for it! 
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 17
I will add to it when I have time... Thanks for all the comments people! If I get a few more requests I'll change the font.

MacKat

May 24, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 17

Yeah please make it more readable. Nice review though!
Quote:
I will add to it when I have time... Thanks for all the comments people! If I get a few more requests I'll change the font.

MacKat

May 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 17
Just like the now infamous Barney Grados, your review seems to be quite unique!

May 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 17
I have been switching back and forth between the low and high gain settings on the E9 and usually end up with it on high gain. It may be placebo but I think the mids and highs are more prominent and it all sounds a bit more punchy. My HD650s are just over a month old.

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #13 of 17

nice review..
i'm saving for hd650 guys, I already have grado sr80i,triple fi, porta pro.. my set up will be laptop>udac>little dot 1+>phones.. will it be sufficient to drive the hd650?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back