In-depth Preview of the new Soundblaster X-Fi
Aug 25, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #151 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
We all take what we can afford. If they can pay for the top end stuff without pausing for a thought even, let them suit themselves. All audiophiles strive for the best after all[/B], as long as they can afford them :p

Man, if I had the cash, screw you, soundcards for dirt eating peasants :p Ie: my av-710, which is the only thing this dirt eating peasant can afford
frown.gif

... strives for the gadgets they imagine are the best ...
I bet you'll wonder how much crappy, rejected and unused gadgeds you could find on audiophiles closet.

jiitee

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #152 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh
I can't tell the diff between either 44.1 and 48 either. Just for kicks, I ran udial through windows media player and neither mode gave the alien noises. A buddy and I DID notice the alien effects on his Audigy 2 ZS however. Could it be that the resample's done so well, the diff's minimal? Any way to put that on paper...er...bit
blink.gif

Frowm what I've read, the X-fi is supposed to be able to handle 44.1, 48, and 96 KHz natively now.

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #153 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee
... strives for the gadgets they imagine are the best ...
I bet you'll wonder how much crappy, rejected and unused gadgeds you could find on audiophiles closet.

jiitee

Exactly - who's happier, the "true audiophile" in his never-ending quest for "perfect sound", or the semi-audiophile who's happy with what he is?

Ignorance may be bliss, but having some knowledge is better than none (and only a bit more expensive).

Aug 25, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #154 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh
I can't tell the diff between either 44.1 and 48 either. Just for kicks, I ran udial through windows media player and neither mode gave the alien noises. A buddy and I DID notice the alien effects on his Audigy 2 ZS however. Could it be that the resample's done so well, the diff's minimal? Any way to put that on paper...er...bit
blink.gif

Yep. In Entertainment and Gaming modes, the 44.1-to-48kHz hardware-based resampling is about as good as good software-based resampling alogarithms get. Not quite perfect, but more than acceptable except for extremely critical listeners. And in Music Production mode (typically used for recording), 44.1kHz audio isn't resampled at all.

Aug 25, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #155 of 212
i have 3 questions that i`m hopeing some one can answer me.
1) what is the riaa input like for recording from vinyl? any one tried it yet?
2) from the above question, what would be better, using the riaa phono socket on the card or go through my phono stage ( project phono box se ) then into the analogue in on the card? the riaa cuts out the phono stage, but might have horrible ADC, the analogue in has a superb ADC but will have to run through the phono stage.
3) since the Analoge in ADC is 192khz@24bit capable, why doe shte card not offer this as a recording value? is the card simply not 192/24 recording capable?

Aug 26, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #156 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulV
(...) but might have horrible ADC (...)

Yup, TI/Burr-Brown PCM1804 - the shock, the horror...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 26, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #157 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Yup, TI/Burr-Brown PCM1804 - the shock, the horror...
wink.gif

so the ADC on the RIAA inputs is that?
acording to the site -

* 24-Bit Delta-Sigma Stereo A/D Converter
* High Performance:
o Dynamic Range: 112 dB (Typical)
o SNR: 111 dB (Typical)
o THD+N: -102 dB (Typical)
* High-Performance Linear Phase Antialias Digital Filter:
o Pass-Band Ripple: ±0.005 dB
o Stop-Band Attenuation: -100 dB
* Fully Differential Analog Input: ±2.5 V
* Audio Interface: Master- or Slave-Mode Selectable
* Data Formats: Left-Justified, I2S, Standard 24-Bit, and DSD
* Function:
o Peak Detection
o High-Pass Filter (HPF): -3 dB at 1 Hz, fS = 48 kHz
* Sampling Rate up to 192 kHz
* System Clock: 128 fS, 256 fS, 384 fS, 512 fS, or 768 fS
* Dual Power Supplies:
o 5 V for Analog
o 3.3 V for Digital
* Power Dissipation: 225 mW
* Small 28-Pin SSOP
* DSD Output: 1 Bit, 64 fS
* APPLICATIONS
o AV Amplifier
o MD Player
o Digital VTR
o Digital Mixer
o Digital Recorder

its not too awfull.
so what would you record from? intoroduce the phono stage or go for this riaa input?
what about the lack of 192 sampling. that going to be fixed in a driver?

Aug 26, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #158 of 212
the resampling is actually better than the ssrc one

src-imd-ccif.png

src-imd-din.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by digit-life
Reference 16/44 - analysis of the generated file with original data; it shows the maximum quality attainable for the 16-bit format.
X-Fi HW SRC OFF - hardware SRC is disabled in X-Fi by setting the reference 44.1 kHz mode and Enable Bit-Matched Playback.
X-Fi HW SRC ON - hardware SRC is enabled in X-Fi by playing back a 44.1 kHz file with the reference 48 kHz mode and disabled Enable Bit-Matched Playback option.
WinAmp SSRC plug-in - playing back a 44.1 kHz file in WinAmp with the installed SSRC plug-in, configured to 48 kHz resampling; the reference mode of the card is 48 kHz, Enable Bit-Matched Playback.

As we can see, SRC cards outperform the SSRC plug-in, it causes no visible distortions on the diagram.

Aug 26, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #159 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
...Not quite perfect, but more than acceptable except for extremely critical listeners...

Quote:

Originally Posted by YW_Slayer
...or the semi-audiophile who's happy with what he is? Ignorance may be bliss, but having some knowledge is better than none (and only a bit more expensive).

True. I've never really "loved" the audio coming to my ears til' I read a post wee long times ago about the koss portapro. Imagine my eyes when they feasted upon the 20.00 price tag at meijier, a grocery store!! Upon listening to them I realized one thing, audio can be much, much more enjoyable.

While this may have nothing to do with the topic, I just wanted to quote you guys for "my" truth. I'm def interested in facts, ala slayer, but eagle describes me to a t...er....somethin' like that.

It's been a joy to be with you all for these past couple years. I'll be moving to AZ, so probably won't get another chance to thank Reynman or Tuberoller for their time spent talking to a n00blet. Tho I wish you chi towners the best as I head off into the sunset. (literally, I'll be in tempe, AZ shooting for a job as an IT help desk and going back to school)

If anyone takes anything away from this thread, give x-fi a chance. Borrow one from your local CC/BB, load up a game, tune in your fav .flac. I'm very confident you'll be thrilled.

Off to the battlefield I must go!! BF2!!

Aug 26, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #160 of 212
Quote:

so the ADC on the RIAA inputs is that?
acording to the site -

* 24-Bit Delta-Sigma Stereo A/D Converter
* High Performance:
o Dynamic Range: 112 dB (Typical)
o SNR: 111 dB (Typical)
o THD+N: -102 dB (Typical)
* High-Performance Linear Phase Antialias Digital Filter:
o Pass-Band Ripple: ±0.005 dB
o Stop-Band Attenuation: -100 dB
* Fully Differential Analog Input: ±2.5 V
* Audio Interface: Master- or Slave-Mode Selectable
* Data Formats: Left-Justified, I2S, Standard 24-Bit, and DSD
* Function:
o Peak Detection
o High-Pass Filter (HPF): -3 dB at 1 Hz, fS = 48 kHz
* Sampling Rate up to 192 kHz
* System Clock: 128 fS, 256 fS, 384 fS, 512 fS, or 768 fS
* Dual Power Supplies:
o 5 V for Analog
o 3.3 V for Digital
* Power Dissipation: 225 mW
* Small 28-Pin SSOP
* DSD Output: 1 Bit, 64 fS
* APPLICATIONS
o AV Amplifier
o MD Player
o Digital VTR
o Digital Mixer
o Digital Recorder

its not too awfull.
so what would you record from? intoroduce the phono stage or go for this riaa input?

Be advised that among the X-Fi series of cards only the very expensive ($400!) Elite Pro edition will have the RIAA input. You will need a separate phono stage if you're going to use any other edition.

Aug 26, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #161 of 212
Quote:

Yep. In Entertainment and Gaming modes, the 44.1-to-48kHz hardware-based resampling is about as good as good software-based resampling alogarithms get.

It's actually better than most software resampling solutions.

Aug 26, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #162 of 212
Quote:

Be advised that among the X-Fi series of cards only the very expensive ($400!) Elite Pro edition will have the RIAA input. You will need a separate phono stage if you're going to use any other edition.

it would be the high end one i was after.
so wha`ts the view?
is the riaa okay?
or go through phonostage into the dac on the card?
can it do 192 sampling??

Aug 26, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #164 of 212
Quote:

what about the lack of 192 sampling. that going to be fixed in a driver?

They may not want to compete with the upcoming E-MU X-FI cards.

That's not to say the KX drivers couldn't make it happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back