In-depth Preview of the new Soundblaster X-Fi
Aug 24, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #136 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by deathBOB
Do you have one?
rolleyes.gif

<I eat poo>

I am extremely tempted to buy the X-Fi (the highest model) at Best Buy, try it out, compare it with the VDA/VAC, and then return it after.

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #137 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Do you? I mean, if you're stupid enough to pay that much money for an overhyped Audigy 2 ZS

Creative hasn't released anything superb in sound quality, ever, except for the EMU line. They're not going to change with this. Are you really that naive to think that Creative would trash the EMU line just for the X-Fi? Do you think consumers of the X-Fi could tell the difference between the X-Fi and the 1212m? The Crystalizer was a scam - what else on this 'technologically superior' card could you tell me that would allow it to perform better than an EMU-1212? All of Creative's consumer based cards have failed - there is nothing spectacular to expect from this card either. Overhyped. A gaming card? Possibly, but this is an audiophile forum, not a gaming forum.

I am extremely tempted to buy the X-Fi (the highest model) at Best Buy, try it out, compare it with the VDA/VAC, and then return it after.

bit harsh... emu sound cards do you the audigy 2 processor, any everybody loves emu (yes different dac's).

anyway I think the X-FI has a lot going for it and I am sure the gamer edition sounds as good as the emu 0404. Well if someone could test please... I want EAX5 in BF2

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #138 of 212
Quote:

I am extremely tempted to buy the X-Fi (the highest model) at Best Buy, try it
out, compare it with the VDA/VAC, and then return it after.

Please do that, I'm very interested.

regards,
halcyon

PS You are way too old hat here to do "j00 st000pid" flamebaits, shouldn't you agree?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #139 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Please do that, I'm very interested.

regards,
halcyon

PS You are way too old hat here to do "j00 st000pid" flamebaits, shouldn't you agree?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll look into it.

And I agree.. :)

Aug 24, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #140 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanjulian
bit harsh... emu sound cards do you the audigy 2 processor, any everybody loves emu (yes different dac's).

there's way more differences than just different DACs, on E-MU cards, the 10k2 is not working in the same way as on Audigy cards, there's that Xilinx FPGA and separate oscillators that matter.. if you're not doing any DSP processing, the 10k2 serves basically just as a PCI controller with DMA buffers, nothing else..

some of you, owners of the lower end X-Fi cards, please post detailed shots of the card's PCB please..

Thank You!

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #143 of 212
Quote:

Who says it has nice music quality? For $499? I could buy an external DAC and a gaming card for that price.

wasnt talking about the most expensive one, wich i can see might not be worth it, but the cheaper models on the other hand seems perfect for someone that want to listen to music and play games.

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #144 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
Digit-life has a couple of high rez picts in their review.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...tive-x-fi.html

where do you see them? I can only see higher res pics of the Elite Pro..

Thanks Jodiuh
smily_headphones1.gif

so yeah I was right.. looks like a bit better layed out Audigy2.. somebody should do a side-to-side comparison playing at 48kHz both, I wouldn't expect any dramatic difference..

Aug 25, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #145 of 212
I picked one up. Couldn't resist. I can always bring it back if I decide that my current Audigy 2 ZS is good enough for now.

I use it pretty much for games with headphones exclusively. First, the HRTF is better than than the Audigy 2, but not mind-blowingly better. Definitely noticable, but evolutionary rather than revolutionary. The elevation in particular is most noticably better than the Audigy 2; it seems more on par with Sensaura's implementation. I don't know of a good way to compare the effect of MacroFX on/off... any ideas will be appreciated. Also, there is no calibration for headphones simlar to the Audigy 2 that allows you to tweak side positioning based on your head size. I believe this basically adjusted IID and ITD with the Audigy 2, and I'd like to know why its missing here.

I have been leaving the Crystalizer off, especially since the verdict seems to be that it only improves things when you have crappy equipment. I hope my A500s aren't considered crappy. For games, it FEELS like it only applies a bit of EQ, but I suppose I can experiment more.

I don't have BF2, but the best implementation of EAX in a game that I own is Call of Duty. It sounds better to me. The positioning is obviously improved and there is less distortion. Also, there is no more clicking and popping when the effects engine is heavily loaded. Finally, it could be my imagination, but I feel like occlusion is a bit different, in a good way. Maybe this is "Environment Occlusion" in action, although that would suggest it's supported transparently. I'm probably just hearing things... Anyone else have any comments?

In game mode, there is a slider that controls the relative level (in dB) of EAX effects. It defaults to 0dB, but you can make it a bit louder than normal, or turn it all the way down such that it is effectively turned off. I'd imagine that this is some kind of global scalar that is applied to all of the EAX parameters in order to tone down (or up) the effect. This could be really nice for those who complain about EAX reverb in games being a bit over the top. However, its unclear to me if the slider also effects elements of EAX other than reverb, such as occlusion filters.

Regarding music. although the Crystalizer doesn't do much for me, I DO like Entertainment mode with CMSS-Headphone and the surround slider at 100%. In general, the new CMSS seems to have less distortion for music compared to the Audigy 2 implementation. If the original recording doesn't have great soundstaging, CMSS-Headphone seems like a good way to create it artifically. Also, its a bit less fatiging. On the other hand, if you have a proper binaural recording, CMSS-Headphone is a no-no.

Finally, you CAN set the master sample rate to 44.1KHz in Creation mode, but my feable ears can't detect a difference between this and resampled to 48KHz.

Aug 25, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #146 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomase
...I don't have BF2...

...Finally, you CAN set the master sample rate to 44.1KHz in Creation mode, but my feable ears can't detect a difference between this and resampled to 48KHz.

I'm pretty sure the demo has the ultra x-fi setting available. You can grab the demo over at 3dgamers. Look forward to your thoughts here
wink.gif

I can't tell the diff between either 44.1 and 48 either. Just for kicks, I ran udial through windows media player and neither mode gave the alien noises. A buddy and I DID notice the alien effects on his Audigy 2 ZS however. Could it be that the resample's done so well, the diff's minimal? Any way to put that on paper...er...bit
blink.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #147 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asimov
wasnt talking about the most expensive one, wich i can see might not be worth it, but the cheaper models on the other hand seems perfect for someone that want to listen to music and play games.

But you know that the elitists on this forum won't even consider something unless it's "top-end" and "worth it" to them. To them, everything else is only "good enough" if you're a dirt-eating peasants.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #148 of 212
We all take what we can afford. If they can pay for the top end stuff without pausing for a thought even, let them suit themselves. All audiophiles strive for the best after all, as long as they can afford them :p

Man, if I had the cash, screw you, soundcards for dirt eating peasants :p Ie: my av-710, which is the only thing this dirt eating peasant can afford
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back