In-depth Preview of the new Soundblaster X-Fi
Aug 29, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #182 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by korben_dallas
check the stats I posted back here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...1&postcount=14

X-FI is on par w/ 1212m, at least in the standard loopback test.

RMAA results don't mean much, the 1212m also beats the Lynx II card in those tests, does that mean its better?

Nope.

Aug 29, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #183 of 212
Quote:

RMAA results don't mean much, the 1212m also beats the Lynx II card in those tests, does that mean its better?

Have you been able to listen to a Lynx II and compare it to your EMU ? I always wondered about how they compared, but few people have heard both.

Aug 30, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #184 of 212
I checked creative's specs page, and I don't see anything that says "digital output", except the flexjack which is supposed to be a "digital in". bestbuy.com on the other hand claims that the xtrememusic does have a digital output. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #185 of 212
i saw the same thing...i am assuming bestbuy screwed up
confused.gif

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #186 of 212
Tachikoma: I've mentioned it several times already - just to quote myself from this very thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
(...) Scrooge-alert: The XtremeMusic supports optical and electrical s/p-dif i/o - however, you'll only get an electrical s/p-dif out, if you don't buy the optional Digital-I/O-Module (~ 30 Euro over here) as well.(...)

So that's no screw-up on BestBuy's side...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #187 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
I checked creative's specs page, and I don't see anything that says "digital output", except the flexjack which is supposed to be a "digital in". bestbuy.com on the other hand claims that the xtrememusic does have a digital output. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie
i saw the same thing...i am assuming bestbuy screwed up
confused.gif

Actually, lini is correct. All X-Fi's -- including the basic XtremeMusic -- have a coaxial digital output.

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #188 of 212
i dont see it..is it part of the flexijack?
btw i am thinking about getting one of these as well as a ciaudio vda1 . i just want to sure it will work

Connectivity

FlexiJack (Performing a 3-in-1 function, Digital In / Line In / Microphone) via 3.50 mm minijack
Line level out (Front / Rear / Center / Subwoofer / Rear Center) via 3.50 mm minijacks
AUX_IN line-level analog input via 4-pin Molex connector on card
One AD_Link (26 pin) connector for linking to the X-Fi I/O Console (Upgrade option)

xtrememusic_pdt_hi.jpg

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #189 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie
i dont see it..is it part of the flexijack?
btw i am thinking about getting one of these as well as a ciaudio vda1 . i just want to sure it will work

The coaxial digital output jack is part of the FlexiJack.

Aug 30, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #191 of 212
The coax digital out is the jack on the far left of the picture, above.

I picked up the Platinum version yesterday, and I must say it doesn't disappoint. Without all the bells and whistles, there is a noticeable improvement in mp3 and lossless playback from my vanilla Audigy 2. To my ears at least, I am hearing details which I previously heard only with headphones. That doesn't mean to say that speakers sound better than headphones, just that I appreciate the more detailed "resolution", for want of a better word.

My desktop speakers are Logitech Z680s. typically on Stereo 2X mode. Headphones are 50ohm HD595s.

I like the automatic speaker cut-off when you plug in headphones. That was always one of my gripes with the Audigy 2; I'd spend a few minutes reconfiguring volumes before I could settle down to listen to anything. The X-Fi has a separate headphone configuration and automatically applies that config when it detects headphones.

The remote control actually made me grin.
icon10.gif
I don't know if it's terribly practical for my everyday use since the PC is beside my right knee, but functionally, I like it. The remote and OSD are nicely responsive.

I've read many people saying that CMSS-3D's effect on music is great. I heartily must disagree, but this is my opinion only. On headphones, I feel that the soundstage has been mushed, and the mids (I think) have been pushed up front. I need to do some more listening through the speakers to tell if they are similarly affected.

I haven't done enough critical listening with the Crystaliser to say whether I like it or not. Certainly, it makes things slightly louder, but the effect is different than if I had simply turned up the volume. Perhaps it just amplifies certain frequencies. All listening so far has been with 250+ bitrate mp3s and flacs through Winamp with the SSRC input plugin.

For music overall, a definite improvement over the older Audigy 2 card.

Gaming is clearly where this card excels. The placement and rendering of discrete sounds is top-notch. Call of Duty really came to life and I felt more immersed in the action. Half Life 2 had me reloading previous saves to play and "hear" it again. Audio in HL2 was already impressive; much more so now on the X-Fi. The biggest surprise however was on Guild Wars. I could hear my toon's footsteps clearly (I had never noticed before), and was surprised to find that the sound changed with different surfaces. Walking on sand, running over cobblestones, through grass, etc.

I imagine that CMSS-3D might work quite well with games, but I haven't tried yet. Certainly the test audio on the control panel conveyed the feeling that a helicopter was circling your head.

I do wish that more output options had been made available on the back of the card itself; I miss the firewire connection, and I still wonder why they didn't include an optical out. Granted, there's one on the I/O drive, but I feel that the breakout box is more for temporary connectivity, rather than long-term.

Add me to the growing ranks of those who've taken the plunge, and come up for air with a smile on their faces. I'm really enjoying this card.

Aug 31, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #195 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
Anantech has posted their own review of the X-Fi Elite Pro: http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2518

Long story short, they were impressed by the card. Granted the site is not geared toward "pure audiophiles", but I always consider it an "well-rounded" review site.

Its nothing new, just the same creative marketing hype, no comparissons, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back